Alaska Software Inc. - Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
Klemens LichterMemory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Fri, 05 Feb 2016 18:56:06 +0100
I use

aPrintarray := oPrinter:list()

  somewhere at program start to let my program know, what printers are
available in the system.
This was running fine for long years. Now one user told me, he got the
following error:

Base/1005
Not enough memory
operation::List

The computer he is working on has 16 GB RAM, it should be enough.

Is there anyone that has an idea what causes this error and what to do
to avoid it?
Thank you.

Klemens
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Fri, 05 Feb 2016 13:47:19 -0500
Klemens,

>Base/1005
>Not enough memory
>operation::List

This is interesting. I have seen the Xbase++ Sub-System Error Code "1005"
so far only in XppFatal logs. The Error Description for this code is:
"There is not enough Allocation Space", and it is associated with Xbase++
General Error Code: "15", with Error Description" "Not enough memory or
swapping space available".

>The computer he is working on has 16 GB RAM, it should be enough.

Xbase++ creates 32-bit Windows applications, and each Xbase++ application
can't use more than about 800 MB of RAM for variables and data, no matter
how much physical RAM is available for the OS.

>Is there anyone that has an idea what causes this error and what to do
>to avoid it?

It could be that XbpPrinter():List() creates a very large array, or that the
available memory is already very low, when this method is called. If you
have access to the customer's system, you could use a small test program,
and see what XbpPrinter():List() actually returns.

Hope that helps (at least somewhat),

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas.GP@Charter.net
web:   http://www.Aerospace-History.net
Brian WolfsohnRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Sun, 07 Feb 2016 03:49:52 +0100
Klemens Lichter wrote in news:610d51a6$49a509f9$10adb1@news.alaska-
software.com:

It could be a contaminated printer driver..

> I use
>
> aPrintarray := oPrinter:list()
>
>   somewhere at program start to let my program know, what printers are
> available in the system.
> This was running fine for long years. Now one user told me, he got the
> following error:
>
> Base/1005
> Not enough memory
> operation::List
>
> The computer he is working on has 16 GB RAM, it should be enough.
>
> Is there anyone that has an idea what causes this error and what to do
> to avoid it?
> Thank you.
>
> Klemens
Klemens LichterRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Mon, 08 Feb 2016 14:10:01 +0100
Brian, what do you want to say with "contaminated printer driver"? A
virus? Or just a driver that is not installed correctly or is damaged
somehow?
Klemens

Am 07.02.2016 um 03:49 schrieb Brian Wolfsohn:
> Klemens Lichter wrote in news:610d51a6$49a509f9$10adb1@news.alaska-
> software.com:
>
> It could be a contaminated printer driver..
>
>> I use
>>
>> aPrintarray := oPrinter:list()
>>
>>    somewhere at program start to let my program know, what printers are
>> available in the system.
>> This was running fine for long years. Now one user told me, he got the
>> following error:
>>
>> Base/1005
>> Not enough memory
>> operation::List
>>
>> The computer he is working on has 16 GB RAM, it should be enough.
>>
>> Is there anyone that has an idea what causes this error and what to do
>> to avoid it?
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Klemens

Brian WolfsohnRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Mon, 08 Feb 2016 16:05:41 +0100
Klemens Lichter wrote in news:5347e8b8$535b7d95$117685@news.alaska-
software.com:

A damaged or mis-behaving driver.. not a virus... we've had clients with
bad drivers that generated this issue (years ago).. replacing the driver
fixed it..

> Brian, what do you want to say with "contaminated printer driver"? A
> virus? Or just a driver that is not installed correctly or is damaged
> somehow?
> Klemens
>
> Am 07.02.2016 um 03:49 schrieb Brian Wolfsohn:
>> Klemens Lichter wrote in news:610d51a6$49a509f9$10adb1@news.alaska-
>> software.com:
>>
>> It could be a contaminated printer driver..
>>
>>> I use
>>>
>>> aPrintarray := oPrinter:list()
>>>
>>>    somewhere at program start to let my program know, what printers
are
>>> available in the system.
>>> This was running fine for long years. Now one user told me, he got
the
>>> following error:
>>>
>>> Base/1005
>>> Not enough memory
>>> operation::List
>>>
>>> The computer he is working on has 16 GB RAM, it should be enough.
>>>
>>> Is there anyone that has an idea what causes this error and what to
do
>>> to avoid it?
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Klemens

Klemens LichterRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:40:40 +0100
Thank you Brian and Andreas,

your tips will be helpful, if this error is coming up again. But
yesterday I got the message that all ist running good again. I count not
check the things directly on the PC because that ist more than 300 Km
away from me.

Klemens

Am 08.02.2016 um 16:05 schrieb Brian Wolfsohn:
> Klemens Lichter wrote in news:5347e8b8$535b7d95$117685@news.alaska-
> software.com:
>
> A damaged or mis-behaving driver.. not a virus... we've had clients with
> bad drivers that generated this issue (years ago).. replacing the driver
> fixed it..
>
>> Brian, what do you want to say with "contaminated printer driver"? A
>> virus? Or just a driver that is not installed correctly or is damaged
>> somehow?
>> Klemens
>>
>> Am 07.02.2016 um 03:49 schrieb Brian Wolfsohn:
>>> Klemens Lichter wrote in news:610d51a6$49a509f9$10adb1@news.alaska-
>>> software.com:
>>>
>>> It could be a contaminated printer driver..

> are
> the

> do

Brian WolfsohnRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:09:38 +0100
> check the things directly on the PC because that ist more than 300 Km
> away from me.

That's very close in light-years...
Thomas BraunRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 08:52:07 +0100
Klemens Lichter wrote:

> I count not check the things directly on the PC because that ist more
> than 300 Km  away from me.

http://anydesk.de/remote-desktop

SCNR
Thomas
Peter AlderliestenRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:33:09 +0100
Thomas,

> http://anydesk.de/remote-desktop

How does this compare to Teamviewer?

Peter
Thomas BraunRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 15:15:40 +0100
Peter Alderliesten wrote:

> Thomas,
>
>> http://anydesk.de/remote-desktop
>
> How does this compare to Teamviewer?

It is quite a new product (by ex-members of the Teamviewer dev staff) which
is free for personal use but (IMHO) has a much better pricing structure
than Teamviewer if you are going to use it in a professional way.

With TV you only get free updates for the version you are currently using
and have to purchase new versions, which is quite expensive in the long
run.

AnyDesk has (amongst other options) something calle "pay-and-forget"
licensing, where you can pay a one-time fee for six years where all updates
are included. Or you can pay a yearly fee - which is a little bit more
expensive if you compare it over six years.

Details: http://anydesk.com/order

It currently lacks some features such as a good way to manage the PCs you
are connecting to, but they are moving forward quite fast and release new
features every now and then.

You can have look at http://support.anydesk.com/ - there you can find what
features are currently under development...

Thomas
Peter AlderliestenRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:29:11 +0100
Thomas,

>>> http://anydesk.de/remote-desktop
>>
>> How does this compare to Teamviewer?
>
> It is quite a new product (by ex-members of the Teamviewer dev staff) which
> is free for personal use but (IMHO) has a much better pricing structure
> than Teamviewer if you are going to use it in a professional way.
> It currently lacks some features such as a good way to manage the PCs you
> are connecting to, but they are moving forward quite fast and release new
> features every now and then.
>
> You can have look at http://support.anydesk.com/ - there you can find what
> features are currently under development...

Yes, I had been there.
One of the ways I use Teamviewer currently is in "meeting" mode to
demonstrate my application to potential customers. I couldn't find anything
about this on their website.
But if they're ex Teamviewers, they would know what I am talking about.
I'll give them a call.
Thanks.

BTW: how did you come across this one?

Peter
Brian WolfsohnRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:51:09 +0100
Peter Alderliesten wrote in

Peter,

Please let us know what you find out...
We currently use teamviewer, but are also not happy with the pricing
structure...

> Thomas,

>>> How does this compare to Teamviewer?
>>
>> It is quite a new product (by ex-members of the Teamviewer dev staff)
>> which is free for personal use but (IMHO) has a much better pricing
>> structure than Teamviewer if you are going to use it in a
>> professional way. ....
>> It currently lacks some features such as a good way to manage the PCs
>> you are connecting to, but they are moving forward quite fast and
>> release new features every now and then.
>>
>> You can have look at http://support.anydesk.com/ - there you can find
>> what features are currently under development...
>
> Yes, I had been there.
> One of the ways I use Teamviewer currently is in "meeting" mode to
> demonstrate my application to potential customers. I couldn't find
> anything about this on their website.
> But if they're ex Teamviewers, they would know what I am talking
> about. I'll give them a call.
> Thanks.
>
> BTW: how did you come across this one?
>
> Peter
Peter AlderliestenRe: Memory problems with oPrinter:list()
on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:31:31 +0100
Brian,

> We currently use teamviewer, but are also not happy with the pricing
> structure...

In that case check this one:
	http://www.islonline.com

Peter