Alaska Software Inc. - IntelliHelp
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: IntelliHelp
Mike EvansIntelliHelp
on Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:52:02 +0200
Great job Alaska R&D
Everything is working excellent. I want to ask if the intellyhelp will support classes-methods-ivars? Also in the final release the
ctrl-space key would support also methods and iVars of classes ?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Mike Evans
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: IntelliHelp
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:09:59 +0100
Mike,

I am a little confused, what do you mean with support for class
methods/Ivars. My understanding is that they are already
supported!

oXbpStatic:setPos( -> provide you a tooltip!

 However, IVars are currently not working properly so we
 removed them for the PreRelease

regards,
Steffen F. Pirsig,
Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com

"Mike Evans" <makis1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Great job Alaska R&D
> Everything is working excellent. I want to ask if the intellyhelp will
support classes-methods-ivars? Also in the final release the
> ctrl-space key would support also methods and iVars of classes ?
>
> Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
> Mike Evans

Mike EvansRe: IntelliHelp
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:33:52 +0200
Steffen

Using the following
oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic. The funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see only the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
"xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars of the xbpstatic class.

Regards
Mike Evans

"Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com> wrote in message news:KIFhwyfzDHA.1976@S15147418...
> Mike,
>
> I am a little confused, what do you mean with support for class
> methods/Ivars. My understanding is that they are already
> supported!
>
> oXbpStatic:setPos( -> provide you a tooltip!
>
>  However, IVars are currently not working properly so we
>  removed them for the PreRelease
>
> regards,
> Steffen F. Pirsig,
> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
>
> "Mike Evans" <makis1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Great job Alaska R&D
> > Everything is working excellent. I want to ask if the intellyhelp will
> support classes-methods-ivars? Also in the final release the
> > ctrl-space key would support also methods and iVars of classes ?
> >
> > Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
> > Mike Evans

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: IntelliHelp
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:58:25 +0100
Mike,

 the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
 package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
 this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
 resolve that with the next release.

 Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
 class available I understand, however this feature needs
 some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
 is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.

 HTH

"Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> Steffen
>
> Using the following
> oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic. The
funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see only
the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> "xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars of
the xbpstatic class.

> Regards
> Mike Evans
>
> "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
wrote in message news:KIFhwyfzDHA.1976@S15147418...
> > Mike,
> >
> > I am a little confused, what do you mean with support for class
> > methods/Ivars. My understanding is that they are already
> > supported!
> >
> > oXbpStatic:setPos( -> provide you a tooltip!
> >
> >  However, IVars are currently not working properly so we
> >  removed them for the PreRelease
> >
> > regards,
> > Steffen F. Pirsig,
> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> >
> > "Mike Evans" <makis1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Great job Alaska R&D
> > > Everything is working excellent. I want to ask if the intellyhelp will
> > support classes-methods-ivars? Also in the final release the
> > > ctrl-space key would support also methods and iVars of classes ?
> > >
> > > Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
> > > Mike Evans

Mike EvansRe: IntelliHelp
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:58:16 +0200
Mr Pirsig
Thank you very much for your answer. I don't mean if we have a variable that contain an object but even directly on the definition
"oXbs := XbpStatic():" and then press ctrl-space. In these position we know the class so it will be very easy to filter only the
class iVars-methods  etc.
As for the variable these is a good (optional-informational) feauture for Xbase++ Editor
Local oXbp AS XbpStatic

oXbp := XbpStatic():New(.....
oXbp: Ctrl-Space -> Methods-iVars of xbpStatic

Regards
Mike Evans

"Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com> wrote in message news:UxUD8TizDHA.1972@S15147418...
> Mike,
>
>  the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
>  package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
>  this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
>  resolve that with the next release.
>
>  Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
>  class available I understand, however this feature needs
>  some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
>  is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.
>
>  HTH
>  Steffen F. Pirsig,

> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
>
> "Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> > Steffen
> >
> > Using the following
> > oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic. The
> funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> > ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see only
> the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> > "xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars of
> the xbpstatic class.
> >
> > Regards
> > Mike Evans
> >
> > "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
> wrote in message news:KIFhwyfzDHA.1976@S15147418...
> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > I am a little confused, what do you mean with support for class
> > > methods/Ivars. My understanding is that they are already
> > > supported!
> > >
> > > oXbpStatic:setPos( -> provide you a tooltip!
> > >
> > >  However, IVars are currently not working properly so we
> > >  removed them for the PreRelease
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Steffen F. Pirsig,
> > > Alaska Research & Development
> > > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> > >
> > > "Mike Evans" <makis1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > support classes-methods-ivars? Also in the final release the

Mike EvansRe: IntelliHelp
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:12:35 +0200
Sorry for the previous message. I mean the variable that contain an object, othewise we can use almost only one method "new".
As for the variable even without a type information on the language level, maybee with a background pseudo-compiler that store
somewhere these kind of informations. Having such feauture on the editor will boost even more our productivity.

Regards
Mike Evans

"Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message news:HutZ0zizDHA.1976@S15147418...
> Mr Pirsig
> Thank you very much for your answer. I don't mean if we have a variable that contain an object but even directly on the definition
> "oXbs := XbpStatic():" and then press ctrl-space. In these position we know the class so it will be very easy to filter only the
> class iVars-methods  etc.
> As for the variable these is a good (optional-informational) feauture for Xbase++ Editor
> Local oXbp AS XbpStatic
>
> oXbp := XbpStatic():New(.....
> oXbp: Ctrl-Space -> Methods-iVars of xbpStatic
>
> Regards
> Mike Evans
>

> "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com> wrote in message news:UxUD8TizDHA.1972@S15147418...
> > Mike,
> >
> >  the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
> >  package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
> >  this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
> >  resolve that with the next release.
> >
> >  Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
> >  class available I understand, however this feature needs
> >  some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
> >  is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.
> >
> >  HTH
> >  Steffen F. Pirsig,

> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> >
> > "Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> > > Steffen
> > >
> > > Using the following
> > > oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic. The
> > funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> > > ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see only
> > the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> > > "xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars of
> > the xbpstatic class.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Mike Evans

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: IntelliHelp
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:39:00 +0100
Mike,

 the LOCAL oXbp AS XbpStatic way of declaring
 types will be the way to go. At least to provide the
 VX IntelliHelp system the information on a informal
 level.

 The following is a STRONG.CH file which you can
 use to add that type of syntax to your sources today.

  STRONG.CH

  Copyright:
      Alaska Research & Development, (c) 2000-2003. All rights reserved.

  Contents:
      Strong type defines if strong typing is not supported by compiler

#ifndef __STRONG_H
#define __STRONG_H
/*
 * PP-Note: using this list isn't possible in ARRAY\[<x>\] OF <t> constructs
 * so if you make changes here update the others, please.
 */
#define _typelist
NUMERIC,INTEGER,BYTE,LOGIC,DATE,TIME,DATETIME,DURATION,BINARY,OBJECT,CODEBLO
CK,ANY,ARRAY,STRING

#ifndef __XPP_STRONG__
#xtranslate AS <t> =>
#xtranslate AS <t:_typelist> =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY OF <t> =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY OF <t:_typelist>  =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY OF <*x*>  =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY\[<x>\] =>
#xtranslate AS NUMERIC\[<x>\] =>
#xtranslate AS NUMERIC\[<x>,<y>\] =>
#xtranslate AS BINARY\[<x>\] =>
#xtranslate AS STRING\[<x>\] =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY\[<x>\] OF <t> =>
#xtranslate AS ARRAY\[<x>\] OF
<t:NUMERIC,INTEGER,BYTE,LOGIC,DATE,TIME,DATETIME,DURATION,BINARY,OBJECT,CODE
BLOCK,ANY,ARRAY,STRING> =>
#xtranslate AS ANY =>

#endif

#endif

HTH
Steffen F. Pirsig,

Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com

"Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> Mr Pirsig
> Thank you very much for your answer. I don't mean if we have a variable
that contain an object but even directly on the definition
> "oXbs := XbpStatic():" and then press ctrl-space. In these position we
know the class so it will be very easy to filter only the
> class iVars-methods  etc.
> As for the variable these is a good (optional-informational) feauture for
Xbase++ Editor
> Local oXbp AS XbpStatic
>
> oXbp := XbpStatic():New(.....
> oXbp: Ctrl-Space -> Methods-iVars of xbpStatic
>
> Regards
> Mike Evans
>

> "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
wrote in message news:UxUD8TizDHA.1972@S15147418...
> > Mike,
> >
> >  the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
> >  package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
> >  this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
> >  resolve that with the next release.
> >
> >  Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
> >  class available I understand, however this feature needs
> >  some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
> >  is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.
> >
> >  HTH
> >  Steffen F. Pirsig,

> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> >
> > "Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> > > Steffen
> > >
> > > Using the following
> > > oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic.
The
> > funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> > > ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see
only
> > the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> > > "xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars
of
> > the xbpstatic class.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Mike Evans
> > >
> > > "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]"
<steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>

Joe CarrickRe: IntelliHelp
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:23:12 -0800
Hi Steffan,

My observation is that some methods do show up, but others do not.  As an
example,

oXbp := XbpSle():new(

or

oXbp := XbpSle():new()
oXbp:create(

doesn't result in any template being shown.  OTOH,

oXbp:setPos(

works fine.

Can we assume that this is just an oversight or just that it's missing in
the PreRelease?

-Joe
"Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
wrote in message news:UxUD8TizDHA.1972@S15147418...
> Mike,
>
>  the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
>  package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
>  this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
>  resolve that with the next release.
>
>  Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
>  class available I understand, however this feature needs
>  some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
>  is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.
>
>  HTH
>  Steffen F. Pirsig,

> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
>
> "Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> > Steffen
> >
> > Using the following
> > oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic.
The
> funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> > ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see
only
> the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> > "xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars of
> the xbpstatic class.
> >
> > Regards
> > Mike Evans
> >
> > "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]"
<steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
> wrote in message news:KIFhwyfzDHA.1976@S15147418...
> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > I am a little confused, what do you mean with support for class
> > > methods/Ivars. My understanding is that they are already
> > > supported!
> > >
> > > oXbpStatic:setPos( -> provide you a tooltip!
> > >
> > >  However, IVars are currently not working properly so we
> > >  removed them for the PreRelease
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Steffen F. Pirsig,
> > > Alaska Research & Development
> > > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> > >
> > > "Mike Evans" <makis1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > support classes-methods-ivars? Also in the final release the

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: IntelliHelp
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:46:57 +0100
Joe,

 the current typelib provided for IntelliHelp has no constructors.

 The problem is that new/create/config/destroy are methods
 provided by all XbasePARTS and this means because of the
 lack of strong typing you will get a list of 40 create() methods

 Not really helpfull ! So we decided to remove them
 from the typelib.

 Any better idea?

 regrds,

"Joe Carrick" <joe.carrick@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> Hi Steffan,
>
> My observation is that some methods do show up, but others do not.  As an
> example,
>
> oXbp := XbpSle():new(
>
> or
>
> oXbp := XbpSle():new()
> oXbp:create(
>
> doesn't result in any template being shown.  OTOH,
>
> oXbp:setPos(
>
> works fine.
>
> Can we assume that this is just an oversight or just that it's missing in
> the PreRelease?
>
> -Joe
> "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
> wrote in message news:UxUD8TizDHA.1972@S15147418...
> > Mike,
> >
> >  the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
> >  package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
> >  this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
> >  resolve that with the next release.
> >
> >  Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
> >  class available I understand, however this feature needs
> >  some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
> >  is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.
> >
> >  HTH
> >  Steffen F. Pirsig,

> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> >
> > "Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message
> > > Steffen
> > >
> > > Using the following
> > > oXbpSt := xbpst     then press ctrl-space. I can't see the xbpstatic.
> The
> > funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> > > ctrl-space is see only the xbp3state. If i have "xbps" the i can see
> only
> > the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> > > "xbpstatic:" if i press the ctrl-space to see only the methods ivars
of
> > the xbpstatic class.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Mike Evans
> > >
> > > "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]"
> <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>

> will

Joe CarrickRe: IntelliHelp
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:06:36 -0800
Hi Steffen,

Yes, that's a lot of methods.  Actually, the Xbase++ docs show 46 "new" and
40 "create" and 38 "configure" and 40 "destroy" methods.

However, all of the "destroy" methods are for practical purposes identical,
ie:

    :destroy()

Most of the "new/create/configure" methods are:

    :new( oParent, oOwner, aPos, aSize, aPresParams, lVisible )
    :create( oParent, oOwner, aPos, aSize, aPresParams, lVisible )
    :configure( oParent, oOwner, aPos, aSize, aPresParams, lVisible )

Then there are those that are:

    :new( oParent, oOwner )
    :create( oParent, oOwner )
    :configure( oParent, oOwner )

My suggestion would be to list those which are special by name and those
that are generic as a group or groups.  That should limit the choices to a
max of about 6-10.

-Joe

wrote in message news:sxoGDsszDHA.3332@S15147418...
> Joe,
>
>  the current typelib provided for IntelliHelp has no constructors.
>
>  The problem is that new/create/config/destroy are methods
>  provided by all XbasePARTS and this means because of the
>  lack of strong typing you will get a list of 40 create() methods
>
>  Not really helpfull ! So we decided to remove them
>  from the typelib.
>
>  Any better idea?
>
>  regrds,
>  Steffen F. Pirsig

> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
>
> "Joe Carrick" <joe.carrick@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Steffan,
> >
> > My observation is that some methods do show up, but others do not.  As
an
> > example,
> >
> > oXbp := XbpSle():new(
> >
> > or
> >
> > oXbp := XbpSle():new()
> > oXbp:create(
> >
> > doesn't result in any template being shown.  OTOH,
> >
> > oXbp:setPos(
> >
> > works fine.
> >
> > Can we assume that this is just an oversight or just that it's missing
in
> > the PreRelease?
> >
> > -Joe
> > "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]"
<steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
> > wrote in message news:UxUD8TizDHA.1972@S15147418...
> > > Mike,
> > >
> > >  the fact that XbpStatic does not show up is with the Prerelease
> > >  package only - on my workstation it works - so it looks like
> > >  this is a packaging problem of the installation files. We will
> > >  resolve that with the next release.
> > >
> > >  Your request to have all IVars and Methods of a specific
> > >  class available I understand, however this feature needs
> > >  some sort of type-information on the variable level. And this
> > >  is currently not a feature of the Xbase++ language.
> > >
> > >  HTH
> > >  Steffen F. Pirsig,

> > > Alaska Research & Development
> > > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> > >
> > > "Mike Evans" <makis@ipirotiki.gr> wrote in message

> > The
> > > funny think is that if i only have "xbp" and then press
> > only
> > > the xbpscrollbar. Also it will be nice that after the
> of
> > > the xbpstatic class.

> > <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>

> > will

Steffen F. PirsigRe: IntelliHelp
on Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:54:23 +0100
Joe,

 thats exactly what we will do as an workaround in the final release.
However we
 have not added this yet because the typelib is currently generated by 100%
 out of the Xbase++ documentation which is written in a tag-language.