Alaska Software Inc. - Outlook.pst
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Outlook.pst
Donald KeatingOutlook.pst
on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:42:51 -0400
I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe someone can
give me some advice.

My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
file is 1.05 GB.

I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.

Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.  It will get back a usable PST
but no data in it.

Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated!

  >don<
AUGE_ OHRRe: Outlook.pst
on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:07:41 +0200
hi,

are you running under Win7 ?

before try to "repair" a File under Win7 you should look for a "Shadow-Copy"

goto c:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ and look under Property
of Outlook.pst for last "Shadow-Copy"

greetings by OHR
Jimmy
Donald KeatingRe: Outlook.pst
on Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:11:43 -0400
Thanks Jimmy,

She's running WinXP.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:07:41 +0200, AUGE_ OHR wrote:

> hi,
>
> are you running under Win7 ?
>
> before try to "repair" a File under Win7 you should look for a "Shadow-Copy"
>
> goto c:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ and look under Property
> of Outlook.pst for last "Shadow-Copy"
>
> greetings by OHR
> Jimmy
Thomas BraunRe: Outlook.pst
on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:44:56 +0200
Donald Keating wrote:

> I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe someone can
> give me some advice.
>
> My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
> file is 1.05 GB.

Bad thing... most likely asking for a backup is beside the point?
AUGE_ OHRRe: Outlook.pst
on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:29:37 +0200
hi,

>I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>
>Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.
>It will get back a usable PST but no data in it.

CopyPst
http://www.olfolders.de/Lang/German/PSTCopy/download.htm

PST
http://pstwalker.com/

Pst19upg.exe
http://www.docoutlook.de/umgebung/tools/tools01.htm

those Tool try to "copy" to new PST instead to "repair" it

you should install something like this
http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=9003

greetings by OHR
Jimmy
Donald KeatingRe: Outlook.pst
on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:18:32 -0400
Thanks Jimmy,

All of these utilities only wokr on PST files that can be opened with
Outlook, which mine is not.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:29:37 +0200, AUGE_ OHR wrote:

> hi,
>
>>I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>>
>>Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.
>>It will get back a usable PST but no data in it.
>
> CopyPst
> http://www.olfolders.de/Lang/German/PSTCopy/download.htm
>
> PST
> http://pstwalker.com/
>
> Pst19upg.exe
> http://www.docoutlook.de/umgebung/tools/tools01.htm
>
> those Tool try to "copy" to new PST instead to "repair" it
>
> you should install something like this
> http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=9003
>
> greetings by OHR
> Jimmy
Mark SergentRe: Outlook.pst
on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:16:05 -0700
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:42:51 -0400, Donald Keating wrote:

> I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe someone can
> give me some advice.
>
> My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
> file is 1.05 GB.
>
> I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>
> Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.  It will get back a usable PST
> but no data in it.
>
> Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated!
>
>   >don<

Did you try the scanpst utility that comes with outlook?

here is the infor on how to call it manually.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/fix-your-broken-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/

Worth a try

Mark Sergent
InnSource Solutions Inc.
mark@innsourcesolutions.com
Donald KeatingRe: Outlook.pst
on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:14:51 -0400
Hi Mark,

Yes, scanpst.exe was first thing I tried.  All it does is give error
80040818 with no explanation.  Google "80040818" gives a lot of results
but, none work.

Thanks for your reply.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:16:05 -0700, Mark Sergent wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:42:51 -0400, Donald Keating wrote:
>
>> I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe someone can
>> give me some advice.
>>
>> My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
>> file is 1.05 GB.
>>
>> I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>>
>> Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.  It will get back a usable PST
>> but no data in it.
>>
>> Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated!
>>
>>   >don<
>
> Did you try the scanpst utility that comes with outlook?
>
> here is the infor on how to call it manually.
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/fix-your-broken-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/
>
> Worth a try
Wolfgang CiriackRe: Outlook.pst
on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:52:14 +0200
Am 21.06.2012 01:14, schrieb Donald Keating:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Yes, scanpst.exe was first thing I tried.  All it does is give error
> 80040818 with no explanation.  Google "80040818" gives a lot of results
> but, none work.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>     >don<
>

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:16:05 -0700, Mark Sergent wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:42:51 -0400, Donald Keating wrote:
>>
>>> I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe someone can
>>> give me some advice.
>>>
>>> My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
>>> file is 1.05 GB.
>>>
>>> I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>>>
>>> Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.  It will get back a usable PST
>>> but no data in it.
>>>
>>> Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated!
>>>
>>>    >don<
>>
>> Did you try the scanpst utility that comes with outlook?
>>
>> here is the infor on how to call it manually.
>>
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/fix-your-broken-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/
>>
>> Worth a try
Did you try to reinstall Office with the repair option ?
Donald KeatingRe: Outlook.pst
on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:17:40 -0400
No Wolfgang, I didn't try that cause don't believe repair of Office
includes repair of any data files.

I've decided to quit trying to fix the PST in hopes it will be a learned
lesson for my daughter that Daddy wasn't kidding when he said to be sure
you do regular backup of your valuable data.  She ahd a great deal of data
in that PST file; some she'll never retrieve.  The time she spends
rebuilding it will be time she can contemplate about how much it would be
if she had a backup.

Thanks to all who suggested solutions.

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 07:52:14 +0200, Wolfgang Ciriack wrote:

> Am 21.06.2012 01:14, schrieb Donald Keating:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Yes, scanpst.exe was first thing I tried.  All it does is give error
>> 80040818 with no explanation.  Google "80040818" gives a lot of results
>> but, none work.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>>     >don<

>>> Did you try the scanpst utility that comes with outlook?
>>>
>>> here is the infor on how to call it manually.
>>>
>>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/microsoft-office/fix-your-broken-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/
>>>
>>> Worth a try
> Did you try to reinstall Office with the repair option ?
AUGE_ OHRRe: Outlook.pst
on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:14:29 +0200
hi,

perhaps you can write a small "Application" and put it into "Autostart" or
"Taskplaner"
simple you just need to make a Icon, where she can click on, from a
*.BAT/CMD
which contain "COPY *.PST X:\SAVE\*.*

greetings by OHR
Jimmy
p.s. i have a small Progressbar Sample which can do this Job. look at Pablos
www.xbwin.com
for latest DXE LIB Version which incude the Sample.
Thomas BraunRe: Outlook.pst
on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:50:04 +0200
Donald Keating wrote:

> I've decided to quit trying to fix the PST in hopes it will be a learned
> lesson for my daughter that Daddy wasn't kidding when he said to be sure
> you do regular backup of your valuable data.

Wise decision... get her a copy of Acronis for her next birthday... (or
better immediately)
Klemens LichterRe: Outlook.pst
on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:03:33 +0100
Don,
I remember a utility, I think DBXTRACT.EXE or similiar, that can extract
all or some mails (if you specify a filter) out of Outlook-Files as an
.eml-file into a specified folder.

After this you remove this file form the outlook-folder and start
Outlook again. It will rebuild this file new and empty. Than you can
drag an drop the .eml-files from the folder into the now empty outlook
folder and so rebuild this all.
With this utility I was able to help several people, but as I remember
they all used Outlook-Express. So I´m not shure if Outlook uses the same
files than OE and that this utility will work. Just try it.

Klemens

Am 18.06.2012 19:42, schrieb Donald Keating:
> I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe someone can
> give me some advice.
>
> My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
> file is 1.05 GB.
>
> I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>
> Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.  It will get back a usable PST
> but no data in it.
>
> Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated!
>
>    >don<

Klemens LichterRe: Outlook.pst
on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:16:01 +0100
I googled some minutes and found this:

http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx

It seems that this utility is for Outlook Express only (.dbx-files). But
maybee you find a similiar tool for .pst-files.

Klemens

Am 24.12.2012 13:03, schrieb Klemens Lichter:
> Don,
> I remember a utility, I think DBXTRACT.EXE or similiar, that can extract
> all or some mails (if you specify a filter) out of Outlook-Files as an
> ..eml-file into a specified folder.
>
> After this you remove this file form the outlook-folder and start
> Outlook again. It will rebuild this file new and empty. Than you can
> drag an drop the .eml-files from the folder into the now empty outlook
> folder and so rebuild this all.
> With this utility I was able to help several people, but as I remember
> they all used Outlook-Express. So I´m not shure if Outlook uses the same
> files than OE and that this utility will work. Just try it.
>
> Klemens
>
> Am 18.06.2012 19:42, schrieb Donald Keating:
>> I know this doesn't have anything to do with Xbase++ but, maybe
>> someone can
>> give me some advice.
>>
>> My daughter's Outlook.pst file has been corrupted and is unusable.  The
>> file is 1.05 GB.
>>
>> I've run scanpst.exe on it and get error 80040818.
>>
>> Tried Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair.  It will get back a usable PST
>> but no data in it.
>>
>> Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated!
>>
>>    >don<

Klemens LichterRe: Outlook.pst
on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:23:53 +0100
Donald KeatingRe: Outlook.pst
on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:09:26 -0500
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:23:53 +0100, Klemens Lichter wrote:

>I found some other tools:
>
>http://www.pstviewer.com/index.shtml
>
>or
>

>http://diskdoctors.net/outlook-pst-recovery/software.html?gclid=CNS56J-Ds7QCFYpY3god3icAaw
>
>or
>
>http://www.mailnavigator.com/reading_ms_outlook_pst_files.html
>
>maybee it helps?
>Klemens

Klemens,

Thanks for all the suggestions but, please see my 6/21/12 message in
this thread.