Alaska Software Inc. - Slow with windows 10
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Slow with windows 10
Salvatore Megna Slow with windows 10
on Wed, 12 Feb 2020 10:34:53 +0100
Hi,
do you have slowness problems with windows 10?
All my clients who switch to windows 10 then have slow problems with the
program. Virtually every access to the database becomes slow.

Thanks
Anand GuptaRe: Slow with windows 10
on Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:21:32 +0100
No problem of slowness faced in Win10 32 bit and 64 bit
DBFNTX both ADS and without.

Depends how you are accessing Database.
Debugging it may show the problem

Regards,

Anand

Salvatore Megna <smegna@tiscali.it> wrote in message news:5ee5c8a1$1ec82c93$12666c@news.alaska-software.com...
>Hi,
>do you have slowness problems with windows 10?
>All my clients who switch to windows 10 then have slow problems with the
>program. Virtually every access to the database becomes slow.
>
>Thanks
Salvatore Megna Re: Slow with windows 10
on Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:53:47 +0100
Il 12/02/2020 12:21, Anand Gupta ha scritto:
> No problem of slowness faced in Win10 32 bit and 64 bit
> DBFNTX both ADS and without.
>
> Depends how you are accessing Database.
> Debugging it may show the problem
>
> Regards,
>
> Anand
>
> Salvatore Megna <smegna@tiscali.it> wrote in message news:5ee5c8a1$1ec82c93$12666c@news.alaska-software.com...
>> Hi,
>> do you have slowness problems with windows 10?
>> All my clients who switch to windows 10 then have slow problems with the
>> program. Virtually every access to the database becomes slow.
>>
>> Thanks

I use only DBFNTX I use simply DbUseArea()
Itai Ben-ArtziRe: Slow with windows 10
on Wed, 12 Feb 2020 23:54:45 -0800
The Windows patches for Meltdown and Spectre slows your PC down. On a
newer PC running Windows 10, you probably won't notice. But, on a PC
with an older processor-especially if you upgraded to Win-10 from
Windows 7 or 8 you may see a noticeable slowdown.  If this is the
case, get a new CPU.
-Itai
Jonathan LeemingRe: Slow with windows 10
on Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:15:15 -0700
On 2/13/2020 12:54 AM, Itai Ben-Artzi wrote:
> The Windows patches for Meltdown and Spectre slows your PC down. On a
> newer PC running Windows 10, you probably won't notice. But, on a PC
> with an older processor-especially if you upgraded to Win-10 from
> Windows 7 or 8 you may see a noticeable slowdown.  If this is the
> case, get a new CPU.
> -Itai

Hi,

The Meltdown & Spectre issues were first mentioned in the gui section on
March 14, 2019 by Jim Lee.  In followup tests I took Jim's SLE1000.prg
which creates 1000 SLE objects and on a spare workstation which had Win
10 1511 ran SLE1000.   I then did a number of clean install of Win 10
thru to version 1809 and compared timings...

WinVer        Build        SLE1000    Time    Xbase version
Version 1511    OS 10586.1540    .90 - 1.0    2.0.1079
Version 1607     OS 14393.0    .81-.94        2.0.1079
Version 1703    OS 15063.0    .86-.91        2.0.1079
Version 1709    OS 16299.15    .76-.84        2.0.1079
Version 1803    OS 17134.1    1.01-1.08    2.0.1079
Version 1803    OS 17134.1    1.02-1.08    2.0.1087
Version 1809    OS 17763.107    1.76-1.85    2.0.1087

I also came across a link...

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

That discusses the issue and also has a free standing utility for
download called InSpectre that gives you info about your particular
workstation and also allows you to toggle off & on the software
protection for these vulnerabilities.

Using this utility you could temporarily turn off the protection and
confirm that the slowdown is truly due to this issue.  This would also
help show the end user that it's not so much a issue with your application.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@familycentre.org
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Jim LeeRe: Slow with windows 10
on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 07:50:10 +0100
most Speed Problem have to do with Security so using SMB1 is much slower
than SMB2.
also Windows Defender does scan your Code if it have a valid "Signature".

---

most time under GUI are used for GUI "OutPut" and all virtual Windows are
under Control of DWM.

but Xbase++ still use GDI32, not GDIplus, and 1 x CPU which is waiting ...
Xbase++ v2.x have HtmlLayout as Render-Engine but it will not be much faster
when using 1 x CPU

---

do you know Dosbox or virtualBox. can you imagen just use VM Engine and MT
for GDI & Co ?

i did not found a Solution for Xbase++ yet ... but for other xBase Dialect
ask more on Pablos Website -> Newsgroup