Alaska Software Inc. - Break Points Never Executed Problem
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Break Points Never Executed Problem
Simon White Break Points Never Executed Problem
on Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:19:40 -0500
Hi

I have been trying to build a Windows Service using XB2Net and I have
this strange situation where the break point never gets called.  I have
even added a FilterRequest code block so I could see the request before
it is processed but it also never fires.  However the status screen
shows that the number of hits increases.  There are no error logs
created nor error messages displayed.  So I wondered if anyone might
have a suggestion.

The obvious point is that the code just never gets called but I can find
no reason for this.  I have been able to see the code get called in the
past but I seem to have these intermittent problems with debugging.
Previously I rebooted my machine and the break points worked.  However,
the next day they stopped working and I have not been able to get them
to work in these sections of code since. I am running on Windows 7 Pro
and xBase++ 1.90.355.

The other strange thing is that if I just run the application from the
command prompt it flashes and disappears.  When I run it from the
debugger it launches and displays as expected.

Thanks,
Simon
Jack Duijf Re: Break Points Never Executed Problem
on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:11:52 +0100
Hello Simon,

In the past i encounterd a similar problem.
After some time i found a way to handle this situation.
Since then, all my services come in 2 flavors.
1. as a service.
2. as a windows application.
The web-server part is identical in both flavors.

I debug in the windows application. I usualy starts with setting a
breakpoint on the httphandler of soaphandler, and start from there,

When i finisch debugging, i recompile all, and distribute the service.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Jack Duijf

Op 12-3-2010 18:19, Simon White schreef:
> Hi
>
> I have been trying to build a Windows Service using XB2Net and I have
> this strange situation where the break point never gets called. I have
> even added a FilterRequest code block so I could see the request before
> it is processed but it also never fires. However the status screen shows
> that the number of hits increases. There are no error logs created nor
> error messages displayed. So I wondered if anyone might have a suggestion.
>
> The obvious point is that the code just never gets called but I can find
> no reason for this. I have been able to see the code get called in the
> past but I seem to have these intermittent problems with debugging.
> Previously I rebooted my machine and the break points worked. However,
> the next day they stopped working and I have not been able to get them
> to work in these sections of code since. I am running on Windows 7 Pro
> and xBase++ 1.90.355.
>
> The other strange thing is that if I just run the application from the
> command prompt it flashes and disappears. When I run it from the
> debugger it launches and displays as expected.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
Simon White Re: Break Points Never Executed Problem
on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:21:47 -0400
Thanks I will give it a try.

Simon

On 14/03/2010 5:11 AM, Jack Duijf wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> In the past i encounterd a similar problem.
> After some time i found a way to handle this situation.
> Since then, all my services come in 2 flavors.
> 1. as a service.
> 2. as a windows application.
> The web-server part is identical in both flavors.
>
> I debug in the windows application. I usualy starts with setting a
> breakpoint on the httphandler of soaphandler, and start from there,
>
> When i finisch debugging, i recompile all, and distribute the service.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Jack Duijf
>

> Op 12-3-2010 18:19, Simon White schreef:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been trying to build a Windows Service using XB2Net and I have
>> this strange situation where the break point never gets called. I have
>> even added a FilterRequest code block so I could see the request before
>> it is processed but it also never fires. However the status screen shows
>> that the number of hits increases. There are no error logs created nor
>> error messages displayed. So I wondered if anyone might have a
>> suggestion.
>>
>> The obvious point is that the code just never gets called but I can find
>> no reason for this. I have been able to see the code get called in the
>> past but I seem to have these intermittent problems with debugging.
>> Previously I rebooted my machine and the break points worked. However,
>> the next day they stopped working and I have not been able to get them
>> to work in these sections of code since. I am running on Windows 7 Pro
>> and xBase++ 1.90.355.
>>
>> The other strange thing is that if I just run the application from the
>> command prompt it flashes and disappears. When I run it from the
>> debugger it launches and displays as expected.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon
Geoffrey Cohen Re: Break Points Never Executed Problem
on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:12:23 +1100
1 - too see if it's actually executing put in a TONE(nnn, 1) command
2 - I have found DLL functions stop BREAK POINTS in the xBase debugger
UNLESS all DLL #defines are put AT THE END OF THE PRG file

Simon White <SimonWhite@dciphercomputing.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have been trying to build a Windows Service using XB2Net and I have
>this strange situation where the break point never gets called.  I have
>even added a FilterRequest code block so I could see the request before
>it is processed but it also never fires.  However the status screen
>shows that the number of hits increases.  There are no error logs
>created nor error messages displayed.  So I wondered if anyone might
>have a suggestion.
>
>The obvious point is that the code just never gets called but I can find
>no reason for this.  I have been able to see the code get called in the
>past but I seem to have these intermittent problems with debugging.
>Previously I rebooted my machine and the break points worked.  However,
>the next day they stopped working and I have not been able to get them
>to work in these sections of code since. I am running on Windows 7 Pro
>and xBase++ 1.90.355.
>
>The other strange thing is that if I just run the application from the
>command prompt it flashes and disappears.  When I run it from the
>debugger it launches and displays as expected.
>
>Thanks,
>Simon
Simon White Re: Break Points Never Executed Problem
on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:12:32 -0400
I will try your suggestion as well.

I have been having problems with xBase++ but it seems to always come
down to the debugger.  I have been using the Vx debugger and I have
noticed a number of strange things.

1) Code sometimes gets skipped when stepping line by line.
2) Code is not always recompiled when I make a change and choose Debug
"myexe" (F9).
3) I have seen some German error messages about addresses just before
the debugger stops working etc.
4) Some times break-points in other threads are not triggered.

Do most people use the Vx debugger or do they use the standalone version?

Thanks,
Simon

On 15/03/2010 8:12 PM, Geoffrey Cohen wrote:
> 1 - too see if it's actually executing put in a TONE(nnn, 1) command
> 2 - I have found DLL functions stop BREAK POINTS in the xBase debugger
> UNLESS all DLL #defines are put AT THE END OF THE PRG file
>
> Simon White<SimonWhite@dciphercomputing.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been trying to build a Windows Service using XB2Net and I have
>> this strange situation where the break point never gets called.  I have
>> even added a FilterRequest code block so I could see the request before
>> it is processed but it also never fires.  However the status screen
>> shows that the number of hits increases.  There are no error logs
>> created nor error messages displayed.  So I wondered if anyone might
>> have a suggestion.
>>
>> The obvious point is that the code just never gets called but I can find
>> no reason for this.  I have been able to see the code get called in the
>> past but I seem to have these intermittent problems with debugging.
>> Previously I rebooted my machine and the break points worked.  However,
>> the next day they stopped working and I have not been able to get them
>> to work in these sections of code since. I am running on Windows 7 Pro
>> and xBase++ 1.90.355.
>>
>> The other strange thing is that if I just run the application from the
>> command prompt it flashes and disappears.  When I run it from the
>> debugger it launches and displays as expected.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon

James Loughner Re: Break Points Never Executed Problem
on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:37:05 -0400
I seldom use a debugger but I use the stand alone when I really need it.
I consider VX to be still very much a beta.

You might want to try my very simple IDE

http://gogalthorp.com/splash

Jim