Alaska Software Inc. - Anti-virus detects and deletes executable after compilation.
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Anti-virus detects and deletes executable after compilation.
JayAnti-virus detects and deletes executable after compilation.
on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:25:47 -0300
Good day everybody,

When compiling an executable I get the following warning;
ALINK: fatal error ALK4001: cannot open file C:\Path\something.exe
After that an antivirus notifocation pops up stating that something.exe has
been detected as a possible thread and removed.

Is this a known problem?
Either way, can someone tell how I can fix this?

Thanks;

Jay
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Anti-virus detects and deletes executable after compilation.
on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:26:03 -0500
Jay,

>Is this a known problem?

Yes, this is a known problem, and affects small Xbase++ GUI programs.

>Either way, can someone tell how I can fix this?

There are several options:

1) You could change to a different AV program.

2) You could disable "heuristic predictions" in the AV program.

3) You could exempt your development directory from being tested by your
   AV program.

4) You could exempt your specific application from being tested by your
   AV program.

5) You could create a VIO (console) application instead of a GUI (PM:PM)
   application -- if you don't require any XbParts.

6) You could create a more complex, larger, GUI program. Obviously, I
   can't really quantify what "larger" in this context means.

7) If you use a Norton/Symantec AV product, you could try to do a very
   fast link cycle, as the AV product might allow the file creation after a
   quick repeat of link attempts. That's what I usually do in those cases.

8) Of course, you could also ask Alaska and/or your AV vendor to make some
   changes to their respective products, which would prevent this annoyance.
   But I have a feeling this (preferred) option won't get you anywhere.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas.GP@Charter.net
       Andreas.Gehrs-Pahl@EJusticeSolutions.com
       Andreas@DDPSoftware.com
web:   http://www.Aerospace-History.net
Rvveelen Re: Anti-virus detects and deletes executable after compilation.
on Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:22:58 +0100
Op Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:26:03 -0500 schreef Andreas Gehrs-Pahl:

> Jay,
>
>>Is this a known problem?
>
> Yes, this is a known problem, and affects small Xbase++ GUI programs.
>
>>Either way, can someone tell how I can fix this?
>
> There are several options:
>
> 1) You could change to a different AV program.
>
> 2) You could disable "heuristic predictions" in the AV program.
>
> 3) You could exempt your development directory from being tested by your
>    AV program.
>
> 4) You could exempt your specific application from being tested by your
>    AV program.
>
> 5) You could create a VIO (console) application instead of a GUI (PM:PM)
>    application -- if you don't require any XbParts.
>
> 6) You could create a more complex, larger, GUI program. Obviously, I
>    can't really quantify what "larger" in this context means.
>
> 7) If you use a Norton/Symantec AV product, you could try to do a very
>    fast link cycle, as the AV product might allow the file creation after a
>    quick repeat of link attempts. That's what I usually do in those cases.
>
> 8) Of course, you could also ask Alaska and/or your AV vendor to make some
>    changes to their respective products, which would prevent this annoyance.
>    But I have a feeling this (preferred) option won't get you anywhere.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Andreas

Hi,

We use Norman AV, and we have send them such reports and most of the time
it is solved with the next update (the next day!).

Good luck!