Alaska Software Inc. - Job requesetd
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Job requesetd
Raffaele LafrattaJob requesetd
on Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:03:38 +0100
I would like to embed package below in a xbase++ application

http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

Thanks to all

Raffaele Lafratta
Boris BorzicRe: Job requesetd
on Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:51:29 +0100
"Raffaele Lafratta" <lafratta@logico.it> wrote in news:5a62cf62$342ec0ba
$4da6e@news.alaska-software.com:

> I would like to embed package below in a xbase++ application
> http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

I'm curious, why would you want to expend resources on something like this?

If you want to have a web front-end, why not simply use any standard web
browser. Thay are all free and constantly being improved.

This is exactly what I have done with our DivertCode application. The UI is
a standard web browser, while the app can either be deployed as a windows
service or a taskbar icon. The advantage is my UI can run on ANY device
with a browser (windows, mac, tablet, cell phone, rf handheld,.....). In
addition being a server-side application, the clients can be located
anywhere.... we have one installation where the clients are located 5000km
away from the server and data.

The DivertCode app is programmed in Xbase++ and uses SQLExpress for all
database access (SQL Server, Oracle, Access, DB2,...) and Xb2.NET for HTTP
server, SOAP interface and TCP/IP socket communications. Some info here:
http://dc.xb2.net

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Raffaele LafrattaRe: Job requesetd
on Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:09:19 +0100
Hi Boris

I ' m developing a web application with a webserver using your xb2net and  a
html/javascript frontend but I need to do something locally using external
dlls so I need to pass from /to javascript pages data to the Exe embedding
the browser
That package can do it.
Again, in a local installation of both client and webserver  I would like to
embed both in a single exe

Anyway I appreciate any suggestion

Regards
Raffaele Lafratta

<Boris Borzic> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Raffaele Lafratta" <lafratta@logico.it> wrote in news:5a62cf62$342ec0ba
> $4da6e@news.alaska-software.com:
>
>> I would like to embed package below in a xbase++ application
>> http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/
>

> I'm curious, why would you want to expend resources on something like
> this?
>
> If you want to have a web front-end, why not simply use any standard web
> browser. Thay are all free and constantly being improved.
>
> This is exactly what I have done with our DivertCode application. The UI
> is
> a standard web browser, while the app can either be deployed as a windows
> service or a taskbar icon. The advantage is my UI can run on ANY device
> with a browser (windows, mac, tablet, cell phone, rf handheld,.....). In
> addition being a server-side application, the clients can be located
> anywhere.... we have one installation where the clients are located 5000km
> away from the server and data.
>
> The DivertCode app is programmed in Xbase++ and uses SQLExpress for all
> database access (SQL Server, Oracle, Access, DB2,...) and Xb2.NET for HTTP
> server, SOAP interface and TCP/IP socket communications. Some info here:
> http://dc.xb2.net
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Boris Borzic
>
> http://xb2.net
> http://sqlexpress.net
> industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Boris BorzicRe: Job requesetd
on Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:47:46 +0100

> I ' m developing a web application with a webserver using your xb2net
> and  a html/javascript frontend but I need to do something locally
> using external dlls so I need to pass from /to javascript pages data
> to the Exe embedding the browser
> That package can do it.
> Again, in a local installation of both client and webserver  I would
> like to embed both in a single exe

About 5 years ago when I needed to add a prety UI onto DivertCode, I also
started down a similar path like you. Except, at that time I tried to use
the Alaska XbpHTMLViewer() class. This was a complete failure, luckily with
a little work I was able to convert it all to run on a standard browser.
I'm happy I did that because now I can run my UI on almost any device.

BTW, I also pass data from the xbase/xb2.net app to the html/javascript UI
running in browser - it's done via comet (reverse-ajax). Now, with HTML5
there are simpler solutions, including direct socket connection between
browser and server using WebSockets (it will be available in next release
of Xb2.NET). Have a look at the carousel extractor video here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/divertcode

My app (DivertCode) is running the show here. The app is running remotely
in a server room and controlling all the machines using socket
communications. The computer screen in front of the operator is just a web
browser. When the operator completes a pick, they push a small touchscreen
in front of each tote. DivertCode senses the button push, updates the
databse with the pick, and sends a page refresh to the web browser.

Anyway, something to think about.