Alaska Software Inc. - Topdown code repository download procedures
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Topdown code repository download procedures
Chris Carmac Topdown code repository download procedures
on Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:00:28 -0400
Everyone,

I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
repository for the Topdown source code!

Here are the steps for downloading the files...

1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It
can be downloaded from the following link:
https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html

2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
files.  You can name it anything you like.

3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
SVN repository.

4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.

5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.

If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.

I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
Clayton would be pleased with the final result.

Chris Carmac
Joe Echelnotifications
on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 01:52:51 +0200
Joe EchelRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 01:56:43 +0200
I followed these instructions but I got to the Checkout step and it asked for
a user name and password but the instructions did not mention that. What
should I do to get past this or am I doing something wrong?

Joe Echel

Chris Carmac <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote in message
>Everyone,
>
>I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>repository for the Topdown source code!
>
>Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>
>1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It
>can be downloaded from the following link:
>https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>
>2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
>files.  You can name it anything you like.
>
>3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
>menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
>sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
>SVN repository.
>
>4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
>svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
>labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>
>5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
>Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
>process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>
>If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
>here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>
>I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
>Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
>honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
>Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>
>Chris Carmac
Joe EchelRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Sat, 23 Jul 2016 02:04:57 +0200
Never mind I tried it a few more times and I must have missed pressing an OK b
button because now it is downloading.

Joe Echel wrote in message news:5814440f$1cefd7f$11205@news.alaska-software
software.com...
>I followed these instructions but I got to the Checkout step and it asked for
>a user name and password but the instructions did not mention that. What
>should I do to get past this or am I doing something wrong?
>
>Joe Echel
>
>Chris Carmac <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote in message
>>Everyone,
>>
>>I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>>repository for the Topdown source code!
>>
>>Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>>
>>1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It
>>can be downloaded from the following link:
>>https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>>
>>2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
>>files.  You can name it anything you like.
>>
>>3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
>>menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
>>sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
>>SVN repository.
>>
>>4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
>>svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
>>labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.

There is a small screen that asks for URL and you click OK on that screen and a
another larger screen comes up and after a short while it lists all the f
folders. you have to press OK on that one also before performing the checkout a
and it works.

>>5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
>>Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
>>process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>>
>>If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
>>here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>>
>>I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
>>Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
>>honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
>>Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>>
>>Chris Carmac
Don Keating Re: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:53:23 -0400
Thanks!

Haven't taken time really look at it yet but, the DL went well after I
chnged the Security settings on the folder to accept the files.

  >don<

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:00:28 -0400, Chris Carmac
<ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote:

>Everyone,
>
>I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>repository for the Topdown source code!
>
>Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>
>1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It
>can be downloaded from the following link:
>https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>
>2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
>files.  You can name it anything you like.
>
>3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
>menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
>sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
>SVN repository.
>
>4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
>svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
>labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>
>5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
>Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
>process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>
>If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
>here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>
>I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
>Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
>honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
>Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>
>Chris Carmac
Don Keating Re: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Mon, 01 Aug 2016 08:45:14 -0400
Frank++,

Just noticed all the downladed files have datetime when the were
downloaded.

Did I miss a setting that would've retained their datetime?

Thanks,

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:53:23 -0400, Don Keating <DonK@dbscompany.com>
wrote:

>Thanks!
>
>Haven't taken time really look at it yet but, the DL went well after I
>chnged the Security settings on the folder to accept the files.
>
>  >don<
>

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:00:28 -0400, Chris Carmac
><ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote:
>
>>Everyone,
>>
>>I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>>repository for the Topdown source code!
>>
>>Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>>
>>1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It
>>can be downloaded from the following link:
>>https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>>
>>2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
>>files.  You can name it anything you like.
>>
>>3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
>>menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
>>sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
>>SVN repository.
>>
>>4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
>>svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
>>labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>>
>>5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
>>Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
>>process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>>
>>If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
>>here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>>
>>I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
>>Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
>>honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
>>Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>>
>>Chris Carmac
Don Keating Re: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Sat, 30 Jul 2016 19:58:25 -0400
Thanks Chris and Frand++,.

DL went well after change Security Properties on folder to receive the
DLd files.

  >don<

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:00:28 -0400, Chris Carmac
<ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote:

>Everyone,
>
>I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>repository for the Topdown source code!
>
>Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>
>1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It
>can be downloaded from the following link:
>https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>
>2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
>files.  You can name it anything you like.
>
>3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
>menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
>sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
>SVN repository.
>
>4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
>svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
>labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>
>5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
>Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
>process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>
>If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
>here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>
>I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
>Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
>honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
>Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>
>Chris Carmac
Thomas BraunRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Thu, 04 Aug 2016 16:37:59 +0200
Chris Carmac wrote:

> I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
> repository for the Topdown source code!

I take the repository is read-only(?)... so...

Are there any plans to enable commits of enhancements / bugfixes from
community members?

Thomas
Chris Carmac Re: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Thu, 04 Aug 2016 11:18:39 -0400
On 8/4/2016 10:37 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
> Chris Carmac wrote:
>
>> I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>> repository for the Topdown source code!
>
> I take the repository is read-only(?)... so...
>
> Are there any plans to enable commits of enhancements / bugfixes from
> community members?
>
> Thomas

Thomas,

Yes, for now the repository is read-only. Our first goal was to make the
code available for download. We haven't really figured out how to move
forward with the products yet.

Clayton's will specified that the code be placed into "the public
domain". I'm not sure if that's the same thing as "open source". I'm not
necessarily opposed to the idea, I'm just a little nervous about opening
up the repository for just anyone to be able to make changes.

My account has read/write access to the repository. I guess for now,
anyone who has changes they want to submit to the Topdown code can send
them to me for consideration. If this process proves to be too
cumbersome, I can talk to Frank++ about the possibility of giving more
users read/write access to the repository.

Thanks for your interest in Topdown!

Chris
Thomas BraunRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Fri, 05 Aug 2016 09:16:38 +0200
Chris Carmac wrote:

> Yes, for now the repository is read-only.

Good!

> Clayton's will specified that the code be placed into "the public
> domain". I'm not sure if that's the same thing as "open source".

AFAIK, it is not the same.

Public domain basically means "nobody owns any rights regarding the
product"

Open source is more complex, since there are various possible licensing
models and even copyrights etc.

> My account has read/write access to the repository. I guess for now,
> anyone who has changes they want to submit to the Topdown code can send
> them to me for consideration.

By using Git instead of Subversion, this process is much easier because
anyone can fork the main repository, make his personal changes, sumbit them
to his personal fork and then submit a pull request which the "owner" of
the main repo can merge with the main branch.

> If this process proves to be too
> cumbersome, I can talk to Frank++ about the possibility of giving more
> users read/write access to the repository.

I'm unsure how this could work for this type of "product" that does not
have an active developer in charge.

Thomas
Anand Guptanotifications
on Sat, 13 Aug 2016 12:28:56 +0200
Anand GuptaRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Sat, 13 Aug 2016 12:43:07 +0200
I do not have words to express my sorrow.

I was ready to convert my full fledged Clipper application to Xbase++, only
because TopDown 4.0 was available for users like me. I always kept in touch
with Clayton and he always helped my in my development work. I tried to
support him in TopDown by submitting codes which i felt would help TD. He
always acknowledged my work by mentioning my name in TD releases history.

I was in touch with him in the last months of 2015. I had proposed a Marque
type progress bar to him and send him a sample code which I was trying to develop.

He liked it and made tdcMarqBar.prg, but requested me to not tell anyone now,
as he planned to release it with TopDown 10.0

I had sent him emails asking for the release date of TD10 in 2016, little
knowing that he was no more.

I now find that I have lost my brother.

I have the latest code of tdcMarqBar.prg which he made and send to me.

I am ready to upload it if it helps TopDown users.

Regards,

Anand Gupta
India
Chris Carmac Re: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:43:03 -0400
Anand,

Thank you very much for your kind words about Clayton!

I really appreciate your offer to donate your code for the marquee type
progress bar. That sounds like a very cool feature, which I'm sure a lot
of people would enjoy using.

I think the easiest way to provide the new code to Topdown users would
be for you to post a message here in the forum with a .zip file that
contains the tdcMarqBar.prg code. If that method is acceptable to you,
please feel free to post it whenever you are ready. If you would prefer
to use a different method for distributing the code, feel free to
message me privately and we can discuss it.

Thanks again for your support of the Topdown community!

Chris

On 8/13/2016 6:43 AM, Anand Gupta wrote:
> I do not have words to express my sorrow.
>
> I was ready to convert my full fledged Clipper application to Xbase++, only
> because TopDown 4.0 was available for users like me. I always kept in touch
> with Clayton and he always helped my in my development work. I tried to
> support him in TopDown by submitting codes which i felt would help TD. He
> always acknowledged my work by mentioning my name in TD releases history.
>
> I was in touch with him in the last months of 2015. I had proposed a Marque
> type progress bar to him and send him a sample code which I was trying to develop.
>
> He liked it and made tdcMarqBar.prg, but requested me to not tell anyone now,
> as he planned to release it with TopDown 10.0
>
> I had sent him emails asking for the release date of TD10 in 2016, little
> knowing that he was no more.
>
> I now find that I have lost my brother.
>
> I have the latest code of tdcMarqBar.prg which he made and send to me.
>
> I am ready to upload it if it helps TopDown users.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anand Gupta
> India

Anand GuptaRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 18:16:08 +0200
>Anand,
>
>Thank you very much for your kind words about Clayton!
>

>I think the easiest way to provide the new code to Topdown users would
>be for you to post a message here in the forum with a .zip file that
>contains the tdcMarqBar.prg code. If that method is acceptable to you,
>please feel free to post it whenever you are ready. If you would prefer
>to use a different method for distributing the code, feel free to
>message me privately and we can discuss it.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the advise. I have posted the same in new thread "tdcMarqBar.prg
of TD 10.0" so that all get to know and use it. This is our way to keep
Clayton's flag flying.

I have sent a mail to you too.

Regards,

Anand
Rolf EriksenRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Fri, 07 Oct 2016 12:35:17 +0200
Hi!
I tried to follow the instruction, but at 3), I got the message:
Unable to connect to a repository at URL
'svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown'.
Can't connect to host '.......

Any idea why?

Regards
Rolf Einar Eriksen
(Norway)

On 22.07.2016 16:00, Chris Carmac wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
> repository for the Topdown source code!
>
> Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>
> 1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It can be
> downloaded from the following link: https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>
> 2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
> files.  You can name it anything you like.
>
> 3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
> menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
> sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
> SVN repository.
>
> 4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
> svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
> labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>
> 5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
> Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
> process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>
> If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
> here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>
> I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
> Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
> honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
> Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>
> Chris Carmac
Rolf EriksenRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Fri, 07 Oct 2016 12:48:00 +0200
Hi!

Sad to discover that Clayton has passed away!

Without TopDown, It would be nearly impossible to convert my old Clipper
apps...

Tried to follow the instruction below, but after step 4), I get the
message: Can't connect to host 'svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown'
Can't connect to host 'svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown' ....

Any idea why?

Regards
Rolf Einar

On 22.07.2016 16:00, Chris Carmac wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
> repository for the Topdown source code!
>
> Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>
> 1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It can be
> downloaded from the following link: https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>
> 2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
> files.  You can name it anything you like.
>
> 3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
> menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
> sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
> SVN repository.
>
> 4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
> svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
> labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>
> 5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
> Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
> process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>
> If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
> here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>
> I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
> Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
> honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
> Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>
> Chris Carmac
Rolf EriksenRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Fri, 07 Oct 2016 15:15:30 +0200
Update:

Firewall issue... Now it is working - so please forget my last entry.

Rolf Einar

On 07.10.2016 12:48, Rolf Eriksen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sad to discover that Clayton has passed away!
>
> Without TopDown, It would be nearly impossible to convert my old Clipper
> apps...
>
> Tried to follow the instruction below, but after step 4), I get the
> message: Can't connect to host 'svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown'
> Can't connect to host 'svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown' ....
>
> Any idea why?
>
> Regards
> Rolf Einar
>
> On 22.07.2016 16:00, Chris Carmac wrote:
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
>> repository for the Topdown source code!
>>
>> Here are the steps for downloading the files...
>>
>> 1. Install the TortoiseSVN software client on your computer.  It can be
>> downloaded from the following link:
>> https://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
>>
>> 2. Create a new, empty folder on your computer to hold the Topdown
>> files.  You can name it anything you like.
>>
>> 3. Right-click on the new Topdown folder, highlight the “TortoiseSVN”
>> menu option, then select the “Repo-Browser” option from the pop-up
>> sub-menu.  This will bring up a screen that asks you for the URL of the
>> SVN repository.
>>
>> 4. The URL for the Topdown code repository is
>> svn://svn.alaska-software.net/topdown.  Enter that into the field
>> labeled “URL”, then select the “OK” button to close the screen.
>>
>> 5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN
>> Checkout” option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout
>> process should create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.
>>
>> If anyone has any questions about the checkout process, please post them
>> here in the newsgroup so myself or someone else can assist  you.
>>
>> I wish to express my thanks to Frank++ and the other folks at Alaska
>> Software who generously gave of their time, effort, and resources to
>> honor the final wishes of our good friend, Clayton Jones.  I know
>> Clayton would be pleased with the final result.
>>
>> Chris Carmac

Raymond FischbachRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Sat, 08 Oct 2016 17:01:55 +0200

> 5. Right-click the new Topdown folder again and select the “SVN Checkout”
> option to download the Topdown source code.  The checkout process should
> create sub-folders for each of the Topdown products.

Hello,
I tried to download Clayton's code but it fails at step 5.
It request a username and password. I entered the same as for this NG
but it is not accepted by the system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best r egards,
Raymond
Hubert BrandelRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Thu, 02 Feb 2017 11:29:52 +0100
Am 22.07.2016 um 16:00 schrieb Chris Carmac:
> Everyone,
>
> I am excited to announce that Alaska Software has completed the code
> repository for the Topdown source code!
>
> Here are the steps for downloading the files...

I had prefered a ZIP file ... much easier
Till WarwegRe: Topdown code repository download procedures
on Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:43:03 +0100
Just a small update regarding item 4.:

The correct server address is: https://svn.alaska-software.com/topdown

Please enter this address into the URL: field of your SVN client. There also is
a web front-end for the SVN repository, available under the same address.

Regards,
  Till Warweg
  [Alaska Software]

Technical Support:         support@alaska-software.com
News Server:                 news.alaska-software.com
Homepage:                     http://www.alaska-software.com
KnowledgeBase:            http://www.alaska-software.com/kb