Alaska Software Inc. - 32Bit OS PC ...
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: 32Bit OS PC ...
Jim Lee32Bit OS PC ...
on Sun, 14 Apr 2019 04:14:05 +0200
Matej JuracRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 08:08:02 +0200
Mr Lee

Windows 10 32bit will run mostly fine on regular new hardware too with common
chipsets, but... 32bit OSes are dying as last 32bit only CPU is 9-10 years old
and since that all are 64bit.

I would suggest you to do two things:

- get something like four or six core CPU machine with 64 bit Windows 10 OS
and 16GB or RAM and nvme ssd

- virtualize that old P4 machine  with P2V (physical to virtual) tool (either
from vmware or virtualbox) and create virtual machine that can be run inside
vm (virtualbox is free, vmware player is commercial). You will need some
assistance but google does return plenty of help.

There is issue though: if you have any 16 or even 8 bit tools, they will not
run on 64bit OS without some 3rd party emulation software, but will run pretty
nice inside that 32bit W7 machine.

Jim Lee wrote in message news:51fec645$66d54a69$3ae2e@news.alaska-software.com...
>hi,
>
>since last Month my Work-PC fail to update Windows 7 : "no CPU found" (P4
Prescott)
>so i have to buy a new ... but most can't use 32Bit OS while missing Driver
or Firmware.

>so i ask what Hardware will run*** with 32Bit Windows 10 OS ?
>*** 3GB avaiable, not limited at 2 GB while "Remapp" is always active
>
>32Bit OS
>

>64Bit OS
>

>search on Intel Website i found 32Bit Driver up to Braswell and Skylake but
which Mainboard ?

>---
>http://www.avg.com
Jim LeeRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Tue, 16 Apr 2019 03:31:40 +0200
hi,

Thx for Answer

> - virtualize that old P4 machine

i have more than that old P4 ...
but most time i use that PC and not my AMD FX-8350  (4,2GHz, 16GB, GT1030, 4
x SSD)

i do run virtualBox e.g. with Windows "Insider" on that PC  but it is not a
Option for "real" Test..

Xbase++ v1.9x under Windows 10 often do not start GUI App after Windows
Update.
it is IMHO a Problem of Grafic Driver Resolution / Frequence which you never
can simulate in a VM

---

as i say on Intel Website i found 32Bit Driver up to Braswell and Skylake
but which Mainboard ?
Problem a most Firmware (BIOS/UEFI) and "Remap" so only 2 GB is avaiable.

so who have a Intel i-6xxx Skylake running under Windows 10 32Bit OS and
which Mainboard (Firmware Version) ?

---
http://www.avg.com
Matej JuracRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:13:54 +0200
Inside VM you can (virtualbox and vmware) rate limit network bandwidth to
fixed speed (with package loss too if needed) and CPU speed in percent
increment/decrement of base without problem. So targeting VM performance to
speed of a old P4 with 100Mbit NIC is not really a issue anymore. Except for
issue of local drive speed issue (due to host system caching)

Unless you need specific (HW access to credit card readers, scales, etc) VM is
allright for manual and automated software testing.

And problem with xpp 1.9 is that is does not go well when UI scaling of W10 is
active, not resolution and frequency (it runs allright on 4k 60Hz without OS
UI scaling). There are already articles about that in newsgroups here.

Intel H110 chipset + socket 1151 is one to go to, they have official listed
32bit drivers on support site and you can check motherboard at many sites like
geizhals(dot)at ; Looks like asus boards (Asus H110M-C) are still in supply.

Jim Lee wrote in message news:14315f32$5946f753$40dd9@news.alaska-software.com...
>hi,
>
>Thx for Answer
>
>> - virtualize that old P4 machine
>
>i have more than that old P4 ...
>but most time i use that PC and not my AMD FX-8350  (4,2GHz, 16GB, GT1030, 4
>x SSD)
>
>i do run virtualBox e.g. with Windows "Insider" on that PC  but it is not a
>Option for "real" Test..
>
>Xbase++ v1.9x under Windows 10 often do not start GUI App after Windows
>Update.
>it is IMHO a Problem of Grafic Driver Resolution / Frequence which you never
>can simulate in a VM
>
>---
>
>as i say on Intel Website i found 32Bit Driver up to Braswell and Skylake
>but which Mainboard ?
>Problem a most Firmware (BIOS/UEFI) and "Remap" so only 2 GB is avaiable.
>
>so who have a Intel i-6xxx Skylake running under Windows 10 32Bit OS and
>which Mainboard (Firmware Version) ?
>

>---
>http://www.avg.com
Jim LeeRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Tue, 16 Apr 2019 14:36:40 +0200
hi,

> Unless you need specific (HW access to credit card readers, scales, etc)
> VM is
> allright for manual and automated software testing.

just have try to install virtualBox on 32Bit Windows 10 OS and got that
Error

i have used v5.x while v6.x refuse to install on 32Bit

> And problem with xpp 1.9 is that is does not go well when UI scaling of
> W10 is
> active, not resolution and frequency (it runs allright on 4k 60Hz without
> OS
> UI scaling). There are already articles about that in newsgroups here.

have no 4K

> Intel H110 chipset + socket 1151 is one to go to, they have official
> listed
> 32bit drivers on support site and you can check motherboard at many sites
> like
> geizhals(dot)at ; Looks like asus boards (Asus H110M-C) are still in
> supply.

Ok, i will look for it.
32bit Driver is half Way ... also Firmware must be able to adjust "Remap"
but now i can ask Asus Support

thx for help

---
http://www.avg.com
Matej JuracRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Tue, 16 Apr 2019 15:39:20 +0200
Last virtualbox that supported 32 bit hosts (not guests) is 5.x ; It was
discontinued from 6.x and now only 64bit hosts are supported. Guests can be
32bit without problem.

Jim Lee wrote in message news:5dda6ced$5d0902cb$405e1@news.alaska-software.com...
>hi,
>
>> Unless you need specific (HW access to credit card readers, scales, etc)
>> VM is
>> allright for manual and automated software testing.
>
>just have try to install virtualBox on 32Bit Windows 10 OS and got that
>Error
>

>i have used v5.x while v6.x refuse to install on 32Bit
>

>> And problem with xpp 1.9 is that is does not go well when UI scaling of
>> W10 is
>> active, not resolution and frequency (it runs allright on 4k 60Hz without
>> OS
>> UI scaling). There are already articles about that in newsgroups here.
>
>have no 4K
>
>> Intel H110 chipset + socket 1151 is one to go to, they have official
>> listed
>> 32bit drivers on support site and you can check motherboard at many sites
>> like
>> geizhals(dot)at ; Looks like asus boards (Asus H110M-C) are still in
>> supply.
>
>Ok, i will look for it.
>32bit Driver is half Way ... also Firmware must be able to adjust "Remap"
>but now i can ask Asus Support
>
>thx for help
>

>---
>http://www.avg.com
Jim LeeRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Tue, 23 Apr 2019 10:26:24 +0200
> Last virtualbox that supported 32 bit hosts (not guests) is 5.x ; It was
> discontinued from 6.x and now only 64bit hosts are supported. Guests can
> be
> 32bit without problem.

you are right that VirtualBox-6.0.6-130049-Win.exe refuse to install on 32
Bit OS ...

hm ... why are 32 Bit Version VirtualBox-5.x Size just 1/2 of v6.x Size ...

---
http://www.avg.com
Jim LeeRe: 32Bit OS PC ...
on Sun, 28 Apr 2019 04:47:47 +0200
> Last virtualbox that supported 32 bit hosts (not guests) is 5.x ; It was
> discontinued from 6.x and now only 64bit hosts are supported.
> Guests can be 32bit without problem.

it was only Version 5.2.26 (not 5.2.6) which was recommend
but there is a new Error Msg that you can't install 5.x any more on 32Bit
OS.

neverless i found out that virtualBox 6.0.4 Setup include 2 Version

VirtualBox-6.0.4-r128413-MultiArch_amd64.msi
VirtualBox-6.0.4-r128413-MultiArch_x86.msi

so i have to extract x86 Version and run x86 Setup

---
http://www.avg.com