Alaska Software Inc. - Does WAA really work?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Does WAA really work?
Richard A. PulliamDoes WAA really work?
on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:04:58 -0500
I tried it several years ago and had all kinds of problems.  I remember I
had to write apps that will restart the server by trapping errors in the
log.  I like the idea of xb2net.
No Apache required.

Is anybody really successful with the use of XBase++ WAA and Apache?  Xb2net
is an expensive third party product.

Thank you.

Richard A. Pulliam
138 Colina Circle
Panama City Beach, Florida 32413
Voice and Fax: 877-467-7588   Cell: 850-238-1203
http://www.ClipperSolutions.com
Pablo BotellaRe: Does WAA really work?
on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:26:32 +0200
Hi,

I'm using both (WAA and xb2net) with diferent customers, I preffer xb2net as more simple and powerfull but WAA also works

Regards,
Pablo Botella
Allen Lee Re: Does WAA really work?
on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:27:11 -0700
On 8/10/2011 2:04 PM, Richard A. Pulliam wrote:
> I tried it several years ago and had all kinds of problems. I remember I
> had to write apps that will restart the server by trapping errors in the
> log. I like the idea of xb2net.
> No Apache required.
>
> Is anybody really successful with the use of XBase++ WAA and Apache?
> Xb2net is an expensive third party product.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Richard A. Pulliam
> 138 Colina Circle
> Panama City Beach, Florida 32413
> Voice and Fax: 877-467-7588 Cell: 850-238-1203
> http://www.ClipperSolutions.com

Hi Richard:
My experience has been successful with WAA and Apache for the past 11 years.
There were a couple of minor problems along the way buy they were all
resolved.

The combination of WAA and Apache are so stable that they were recently
utilized to develop our own company software used solely in-house (which
was a VB Microsoft Access application).

WAA and Apache allows me to take software development to a new level -
from desktop to web; just like Clipper took me from interpretive app to
compiled app in the mid-eighties.
Thomas Braun
Re: Does WAA really work?
on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:50:52 +0200
Richard A. Pulliam wrote:

> I tried it several years ago and had all kinds of problems.  I remember I
> had to write apps that will restart the server by trapping errors in the
> log.  I like the idea of xb2net.
> No Apache required.
>
> Is anybody really successful with the use of XBase++ WAA and Apache?  Xb2net
> is an expensive third party product.

I'm using WAA for several years now and it works with only a few minor
problems.

The only disadvantage I could name might be that WAA is not a real service
app - so I had to run the server with auto-logon and put WAA startup batch
into the autorun folder.

Thomas
Les C. Cseh (ASAP Checks)Re: Does WAA really work?
on Sat, 03 Sep 2011 13:11:41 -0400
definitely works.

we use it extensively for all kinds of real time production apps

note that afaik, alaska does not yet have a gateway that works with iis 7
(and 64-bit windows? can't recall the details now), which we needed, so we
had to have one developed for us.

les