Alaska Software Inc. - PostGreSQL too slow access
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: PostGreSQL too slow access
Daniel FausPostGreSQL too slow access
on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 09:13:19 +0100
Hi everybody...

I'm testing PGDBE in my app, and I have arround 2 seconds to access to
any table, and it makes my app unacceptable to work.

This is normal? I have to change my SEEK, APPEND and other by SQL sentences?

It is possible to work with an Amazon PostGreSQL with my local app?

Thanks
Regards...
Daniel Faus
Otto TrappRe: PostGreSQL too slow access
on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:05:20 +0100
Hello,

Which version of Xbase++ are you using? There was performance
optimization in build 2.0.1023. I tested many previous builds and the
newer ones and I found (as advertised in their newsletter) that a lot of
speed increase was achieved. I tested it with browsing and skipping many
records with test programs. (I use 2.0.1037).

(I dropped databases on the server and repeated upsize as well from
start with the newer version.)

Otto

2019.02.12. 9:13 keltezéssel, Daniel Faus írta:
> Hi everybody...
>
> I'm testing PGDBE in my app, and I have arround 2 seconds to access to
> any table, and it makes my app unacceptable to work.
>
> This is normal? I have to change my SEEK, APPEND and other by SQL
> sentences?
>
> It is possible to work with an Amazon PostGreSQL with my local app?
>
> Thanks
> Regards...
> Daniel Faus

Daniel FausRe: PostGreSQL too slow access
on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:15:44 +0100
El 12/02/2019 a las 14:05, Otto Trapp escribió:
> Hello,
>
> Which version of Xbase++ are you using? There was performance
> optimization in build 2.0.1023. I tested many previous builds and the
> newer ones and I found (as advertised in their newsletter) that a lot of
> speed increase was achieved. I tested it with browsing and skipping many
> records with test programs. (I use 2.0.1037).
>
> (I dropped databases on the server and repeated upsize as well from
> start with the newer version.)
>
> Otto
>
> 2019.02.12. 9:13 keltezéssel, Daniel Faus írta:
>> Hi everybody...
>>
>> I'm testing PGDBE in my app, and I have arround 2 seconds to access to
>> any table, and it makes my app unacceptable to work.
>>
>> This is normal? I have to change my SEEK, APPEND and other by SQL
>> sentences?
>>
>> It is possible to work with an Amazon PostGreSQL with my local app?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Regards...
>> Daniel Faus

Hi Otto,

I'm using Xbase++ Version 2.00.1068

I've connected to the postgresql and no more changes and the app works
so slow, compare with dbf with cdx indexes.

And when I need to insert a new reccord many times show a dialog windows:

Record 1 of FILE LSTSERIES.DBF

Record has been locked by another user. Retry?

And I'm the only user executing the app

I think, in postgresql it is not necesary to lock the records to append,
delete, etc... maybe I'm blocking myself..
Otto TrappRe: PostGreSQL too slow access
on Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:11:48 +0100
Hi Daniel,

SKIP and SEEK are fast but I found that INDEX ON and APPEND are very slow.

I use Xbase++ 2.0.1037

Locking is not needed in SQL but all the navigational DB functions are
implemented, so if you lock a record in your code that lock must be
stored on the server side to retain former behaviour. (See the
additional fields in your tables in Postgres after the upsize process.)
The error message suggests a bug, probably you should send it to support.

Otto