Alaska Software Inc. - Email - Google
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Email - Google
Kevin ThomasEmail - Google
on Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:54:27 -0500
Hello

In the past my clients used outlook to send email.  I had features in the
program that would allow the user to email me their data (encrypted) and/or
error.logs.

Now my clients have switched to Google Email.

Are there a way to have Alaska Xbase send email (with file attachments)
using Google Email.  If so, can you provide some guidance.

Thanks
Kevin
Matej JuracRe: Email - Google
on Wed, 31 Jan 2018 08:24:29 +0100
There are options, afaik all require that smtp is enabled on gmail account

- free one is blat mailer + stunnel to achieve that

- get .net and build simple standalone exe that get parameters from command
line and send mail
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32260/sending-email-in-net-through-gmail)

- via office automation ( OLE ) and Outlook to send mail ( with func that is
part of xpp : CreateObject("Outlook.Application") )
docs are available at MSDN
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/outlook-vba/articles/automating-outlook-from-a-visual-basic-application

- and "CDO" that was integrated with older Windows but I am not sure if it is
still part of Windows 10

I say you go with office automation

Kevin Thomas wrote in message
>Hello
>
>In the past my clients used outlook to send email.  I had features in the
>program that would allow the user to email me their data (encrypted) and/or
>error.logs.
>
>Now my clients have switched to Google Email.
>
>Are there a way to have Alaska Xbase send email (with file attachments)
>using Google Email.  If so, can you provide some guidance.
>
>Thanks
>Kevin
Jim LeeRe: Email - Google
on Thu, 01 Feb 2018 14:17:10 +0100
> - and "CDO" that was integrated with older Windows but I am not sure if it
> is
> still part of Windows 10

CDO still work with Windows 10 and SSL
Jonathan LeemingRe: Email - Google
on Wed, 31 Jan 2018 08:47:27 -0700
On 1/30/2018 6:54 PM, Kevin Thomas wrote:
> Hello
>
> In the past my clients used outlook to send email.  I had features in
> the program that would allow the user to email me their data (encrypted)
> and/or error.logs.
>
> Now my clients have switched to Google Email.
>
> Are there a way to have Alaska Xbase send email (with file attachments)
> using Google Email.  If so, can you provide some guidance.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Are you using Xbase++ 1.9 or 2.0 also Pro or Foundation?

I use Gmail and, although email functionality was available in 1.9
(ASINET10.LIB) it did not support SSL (required by Gmail).  With 1.9 I
used a product from MarshallSoft (www.marshallsoft.com) called See4XB in
conjunction with STunnel (http://www.marshallsoft.com/stunnel.htm) to
facilitate the SSL connection required by Gmail.

However, when I upgraded to Xbase++ 2.0 Pro I re-worked my email process
to use the SMTPClient() from Xbase as it now supports SSL and seems to
be quicker than the MarshallSoft / STunnel approach.  There is an
example of the basic steps in the 2.0 Xbase++ documentation.  See:
Internet Technologies -> Internet Library -> Email Exchange -> SMTP
Client.  The example is missing the file attachment but that is simple:
oMail:attachFile(cSomeFile).  I use native Xbase to send hundreds of
emails daily from my application with GMails server ("smtp.gmail.com")
and Port 465.

Hope this helps… Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Kevin ThomasRe: Email - Google
on Mon, 05 Feb 2018 21:02:51 -0500
Hello Jonathan

I use 2.0 Professional.

I will look into using the SMTPClient.

Are there any difference between that I need to be aware of between using
Windows 10 computer versus Windows 7.   The reason why I am asking is
because my computer it Windows 7 and my users are now using Windows 10.

Kevin

"Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message

On 1/30/2018 6:54 PM, Kevin Thomas wrote:
> Hello
>
> In the past my clients used outlook to send email.  I had features in the
> program that would allow the user to email me their data (encrypted)
> and/or error.logs.
>
> Now my clients have switched to Google Email.
>
> Are there a way to have Alaska Xbase send email (with file attachments)
> using Google Email.  If so, can you provide some guidance.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Are you using Xbase++ 1.9 or 2.0 also Pro or Foundation?

I use Gmail and, although email functionality was available in 1.9
(ASINET10.LIB) it did not support SSL (required by Gmail).  With 1.9 I
used a product from MarshallSoft (www.marshallsoft.com) called See4XB in
conjunction with STunnel (http://www.marshallsoft.com/stunnel.htm) to
facilitate the SSL connection required by Gmail.

However, when I upgraded to Xbase++ 2.0 Pro I re-worked my email process
to use the SMTPClient() from Xbase as it now supports SSL and seems to
be quicker than the MarshallSoft / STunnel approach.  There is an
example of the basic steps in the 2.0 Xbase++ documentation.  See:
Internet Technologies -> Internet Library -> Email Exchange -> SMTP
Client.  The example is missing the file attachment but that is simple:
oMail:attachFile(cSomeFile).  I use native Xbase to send hundreds of
emails daily from my application with GMails server ("smtp.gmail.com")
and Port 465.

Hope this helps… Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Thomas BraunRe: Email - Google
on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 08:42:10 +0100
Kevin Thomas wrote:

> Are there any difference between that I need to be aware of between using
> Windows 10 computer versus Windows 7.   The reason why I am asking is
> because my computer it Windows 7 and my users are now using Windows 10.

Always use the most current version of Xbase++ since Alaska ist permanently
(while Microsoft is breaking things with every release of Win 10) improving
compatibility with Windows 10

And testing on a Windows 10 Machine would be a good idea as well.

Thomas
Jonathan LeemingRe: Email - Google
on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 08:30:10 -0700
On 2/5/2018 7:02 PM, Kevin Thomas wrote:
> Hello Jonathan
>
> I use 2.0 Professional.
>
> I will look into using the SMTPClient.
>
> Are there any difference between that I need to be aware of between
> using Windows 10 computer versus Windows 7.   The reason why I am asking
> is because my computer it Windows 7 and my users are now using Windows 10.
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>
> Kevin
>
> "Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message
>
> On 1/30/2018 6:54 PM, Kevin Thomas wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> In the past my clients used outlook to send email.  I had features in
>> the program that would allow the user to email me their data
>> (encrypted) and/or error.logs.
>>
>> Now my clients have switched to Google Email.
>>
>> Are there a way to have Alaska Xbase send email (with file
>> attachments) using Google Email.  If so, can you provide some guidance.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kevin
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Are you using Xbase++ 1.9 or 2.0 also Pro or Foundation?
>
> I use Gmail and, although email functionality was available in 1.9
> (ASINET10.LIB) it did not support SSL (required by Gmail).  With 1.9 I
> used a product from MarshallSoft (www.marshallsoft.com) called See4XB in
> conjunction with STunnel (http://www.marshallsoft.com/stunnel.htm) to
> facilitate the SSL connection required by Gmail.
>
> However, when I upgraded to Xbase++ 2.0 Pro I re-worked my email process
> to use the SMTPClient() from Xbase as it now supports SSL and seems to
> be quicker than the MarshallSoft / STunnel approach.  There is an
> example of the basic steps in the 2.0 Xbase++ documentation.  See:
> Internet Technologies -> Internet Library -> Email Exchange -> SMTP
> Client.  The example is missing the file attachment but that is simple:
> oMail:attachFile(cSomeFile).  I use native Xbase to send hundreds of
> emails daily from my application with GMails server ("smtp.gmail.com")
> and Port 465.
>
> Hope this helps… Jonathan

Hi Kevin,

When I first moved from the Xbase 1.9 + MarshallSoft solution to the
integrated Xbase 2.0 solution I was using Windows 7.  Since then I had
it running on 1 Win 8 workstation but now all of our workstations are
Windows 10.  I did not need to do anything specific as I transitioned
through Windows versions so I don't expect you will encounter email
problems developing in a Windows 7 environment and running Windows 10
for production.  Of course, as Thomas suggests, it's always a good idea
to do a test in the production environment; not just from a Win 7 / 10
perspective but AV or other "surprises"!

On a related note I was doing some volume tests as Google restricts
volume depending on what process is generating the email.  For example
using Googles web interface has different limitations than a 3rd party
application (which is what our Xbase solution would be considered).  I
was having "problems" interpreting what I was reading regarding these
limitations but found that in a 24 hour period a single GMail account
could send 500 emails.  I found the same limitation applied if one was
sending to other accounts in the same domain (we have a business GMail
account) or an email account outside of the sending accounts domain.

If you come across any major roadblocks as you or need clarification
with your email process please don't hesitate to post here or send me an
email.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
William HeplerRe: Email - Google
on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:02:10 -0800
Hi Jonathon,

I am also having a problem sending using Gmail using Alaska 200 to send
SMTP to gmail.    I have been able to get this to work using SMTP2GO
which makes me think my routines are correct, but I have been unable to
get my procedures to work with Gmail using either 465 or 587.  I set the
Gmail account to being a "Less Secure" account, and that did not seem to
help.

Do I need a commercial version of Gmail?

Bill Hepler
Crafted Industrial Software Ltd.
Vancouver, BC

On 06/02/2018 7:30 AM, Jonathan Leeming wrote:
> [...]
> perspective but AV or other "surprises"!
>
> On a related note I was doing some volume tests as Google restricts
> volume depending on what process is generating the email.  For example
> using Googles web interface has different limitations than a 3rd party
> application (which is what our Xbase solution would be considered).  I
> was having "problems" interpreting what I was reading regarding these
> limitations but found that in a 24 hour period a single GMail account
> could send 500 emails.  I found the same limitation applied if one was
> sending to other accounts in the same domain (we have a business GMail
> account) or an email account outside of the sending accounts domain.
>
> If you come across any major roadblocks as you or need clarification
> with your email process please don't hesitate to post here or send me an

on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:16:42 -0800
Further note - the log (from my GMail) comes back like this:

Info: Socket created successfully
Info: Successfully connected to smtp.gmail.com
Info: Server response: 220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP k126sm349981pfc.24 - gsmtp

Info: Sending: EHLO bfenstermann@gmail.com

Info: Server response: 501-5.5.4 HELO/EHLO argument
"bfenstermann@gmail.com" invalid, closing
501-5.5.4 connection.
501 5.5.4  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=helo k126sm349981pfc.24 -
gsmtp

Error: Unexpected response from server 5
Connection to server failed L:bfenstermann@gmail.com P:E99N00dle5
Connection to server failed Cont.. SMTP Server:smtp.gmail.com
--- The Log Ends on Feb 06,18 16:14:19 ---

As best I can tell, the eMail address "bfenstermann@gmail.com" is
correct, as I can send to it from SMTP2GO with the same Alaska routines....

Thanks

Bill

> [...]
> perspective but AV or other "surprises"!
>
> On a related note I was doing some volume tests as Google restricts
> volume depending on what process is generating the email.  For example
> using Googles web interface has different limitations than a 3rd party
> application (which is what our Xbase solution would be considered).  I
> was having "problems" interpreting what I was reading regarding these
> limitations but found that in a 24 hour period a single GMail account
> could send 500 emails.  I found the same limitation applied if one was
> sending to other accounts in the same domain (we have a business GMail
> account) or an email account outside of the sending accounts domain.
>
> If you come across any major roadblocks as you or need clarification
> with your email process please don't hesitate to post here or send me an

on Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:25:14 -0700
On 2/6/2018 5:16 PM, William Hepler wrote:
> [...]
>> / 10 perspective but AV or other "surprises"!
>>
>> On a related note I was doing some volume tests as Google restricts
>> volume depending on what process is generating the email.  For example
>> using Googles web interface has different limitations than a 3rd party
>> application (which is what our Xbase solution would be considered).  I
>> was having "problems" interpreting what I was reading regarding these
>> limitations but found that in a 24 hour period a single GMail account
>> could send 500 emails.  I found the same limitation applied if one was
>> sending to other accounts in the same domain (we have a business GMail
>> account) or an email account outside of the sending accounts domain.
>>
>> If you come across any major roadblocks as you or need clarification
>> with your email process please don't hesitate to post here or send me

Hi Bill,

First off... great to become aware of yet another Canadian in the
Xbase++ world!

After I saw your posting I created an individual GMail account for one
of my dogs.  I then used my process to send an email from the newly
created account to another email and it was sent with no problem so one
can definitely use Xbase to send from a non-commercial GMail account.
Also of note is that after I created the "dog" account I did not make
any GMail modifications to the account settings... all were from the
standard GMail setup.

I may get chance tomorrow (Wednesday) to look at my email sending
function and cleanup a few private issues and send it to you to try.
Then you can compare it to your approach and perhaps see where the
problem lies.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Jonathan LeemingRe: Email - Google
on Wed, 07 Feb 2018 12:29:06 -0700
> [...]
>> / 10 perspective but AV or other "surprises"!
>>
>> On a related note I was doing some volume tests as Google restricts
>> volume depending on what process is generating the email.  For example
>> using Googles web interface has different limitations than a 3rd party
>> application (which is what our Xbase solution would be considered).  I
>> was having "problems" interpreting what I was reading regarding these
>> limitations but found that in a 24 hour period a single GMail account
>> could send 500 emails.  I found the same limitation applied if one was
>> sending to other accounts in the same domain (we have a business GMail
>> account) or an email account outside of the sending accounts domain.
>>
>> If you come across any major roadblocks as you or need clarification
>> with your email process please don't hesitate to post here or send me

Hi Again,

Attached is a very small Xbase 2.0 program with just the basic
requirements to connect to the GMail server and send a very simply email
with one attachment.  I tested it with a standard GMail account that did
not have any GMail account settings modified once created.  There is
very little error checking but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

Please let me know how it goes.... Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

emailit.prg
project.xpj
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Email - Google
on Wed, 07 Feb 2018 19:09:18 -0500
Bill,

>Info: Sending: EHLO bfenstermann@gmail.com

>Info: Server response: 501-5.5.4 HELO/EHLO argument
>"bfenstermann@gmail.com" invalid, closing 501-5.5.4 connection.

This indicates that you use your email address as the third argument of the
SMTPClient:New() method. Instead, you need to supply a Host Name (or omit
this parameter entirely). You could use the following, though:

oSmtp := SMTPClient():New('smtp.gmail.com', 465, 'gmail.com')

or simply:

oSmtp := SMTPClient():New('smtp.gmail.com', 465)

Either one should work.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Kevin ThomasRe: Email - Google
on Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:50:42 -0500
Hello

Based on the comment that I have received from my initial email I have
modified my program to use SMTP.

I got an error from Google that stated that there were suspicious activity
in my account.   I turn on the setting to allow "less secured apps" to
access my account and then I was able to send out email.

From the Google website, the following comment were made:

To help keep Google Accounts through work, school, or other groups more
secure, we block some less secure apps from using them. If you have this
kind of account, you’ll see a "Password incorrect" error when trying to sign
in. If so, you have two options:
•Option 1: Install a more secure app that uses stronger security measures.
All Google products, like Gmail, use the latest security measures.
•Option 2: Change your settings to allow less secure apps into your account.
We don't recommend this option because it can make it easier for someone to
break into your account. If you want to allow access anyway, follow these
steps: 1.Go to the "Less secure apps" section of my Account.
2.Turn on Allow less secure apps. (Note: If your administrator has locked
less secure app account access, this setting is hidden.)

As note about, the only way that I could send email was by using option #2
to Allow  Less Secure App to use the account.   It also mention that your
administrator may has locked the less secured app setting. Since this is the
most likely the case since my customer is an State Agency, then then is mean
that I would have to use option 1.

Are there any work around or alternative solutions that is available that
would allow me to send email via Xbase that would meet the Google security
standards?

Thanks
Kevin