Alaska Software Inc. - Linking Lib in /CXP
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Linking Lib in /CXP
Stephen BryanLinking Lib in /CXP
on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:45:09 -0400
I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working for
me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.

I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to handle
record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP pages.

Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed to
add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper subfolder
but I'm still getting a linker error.
ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol

If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe in a
command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the parameters.

In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
file.

Am I missing something?
Nestor G. TorresRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:39:41 +0200
Hi S

Try dropping your libs into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\common
and if that does not work into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\cxp20

If you have some includes

try dropping them into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\cxp20\include

*Note I'm running a 64 bit Windows hence the (86)

I hope this works for you
Kind regards,
Nestor

On 2015/04/29 08:45 PM, Stephen Bryan wrote:
> I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working
> for me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.
>
> I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to
> handle record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP pages.
>
> Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed
> to add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper
> subfolder but I'm still getting a linker error.
> ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol
>
> If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe
> in a command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the
> parameters.
>
> In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
> I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
> file.
>
> Am I missing something?

Andreas HerdtRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Thu, 30 Apr 2015 11:50:36 +0200
Hi Nestor,

NO, don't do that. It is not recommended to deploy anything to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\" or to any of the sub
folders.

An Xbase++ deinstallation (and an update also) remove anything
from those folders. Furthermore, as your project envolves you
will have a fine mess which will be hard to maintain.

Allthough not being available with the first CTP drop for Xbase++ 2.0,
we have a clear model for CXP deployment, now.

Binaries on which a CXP page depends have to be deployed in the
folder "helpers" (attention, it is plural). The binaries are to be
referenced from a CXP pages application.config file according
following notation:

________________________
static linkage

<helpers  lib="MyFunc.lib" />

OR
_________________________
dynamic load

<helpers  dll="MyFunc.dll" />

With my best regards,

Andreas Herdt
Alaska Software

Technical Support: support@alaska-software.com

News Server: news.alaska-software.com
Homepage: http://www.alaska-software.com
WebKnowledgeBase: http://www.alaska-software.com/kbase.shtm

Fax European Office: +49 (0) 61 96 - 77 99 99 23
Fax US Office: +1 (646) 218 1281

"Nestor G. Torres" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Hi S

Try dropping your libs into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\common
and if that does not work into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\cxp20

If you have some includes

try dropping them into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\cxp20\include

*Note I'm running a 64 bit Windows hence the (86)

I hope this works for you
Kind regards,
Nestor

On 2015/04/29 08:45 PM, Stephen Bryan wrote:
> I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working
> for me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.
>
> I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to
> handle record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP pages.
>
> Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed
> to add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper
> subfolder but I'm still getting a linker error.
> ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol
>
> If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe
> in a command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the
> parameters.
>
> In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
> I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
> file.
>
> Am I missing something?

Nestor G. TorresRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Thu, 30 Apr 2015 12:58:34 +0200
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Kind regards,
Nestor

On 2015/04/30 11:50 AM, "Andreas Herdt" wrote:
> Hi Nestor,
>
> NO, don't do that. It is not recommended to deploy anything to
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\" or to any of the sub
> folders.
>
> An Xbase++ deinstallation (and an update also) remove anything
> from those folders. Furthermore, as your project envolves you
> will have a fine mess which will be hard to maintain.
>
> Allthough not being available with the first CTP drop for Xbase++ 2.0,
> we have a clear model for CXP deployment, now.
>
> Binaries on which a CXP page depends have to be deployed in the
> folder "helpers" (attention, it is plural). The binaries are to be
> referenced from a CXP pages application.config file according
> following notation:
>
> ________________________
> static linkage
>
> <helpers  lib="MyFunc.lib" />
>
> OR
> _________________________
> dynamic load
>
> <helpers  dll="MyFunc.dll" />
>
> With my best regards,
>

> Andreas Herdt
> Alaska Software

> Technical Support: support@alaska-software.com
>
> News Server: news.alaska-software.com
> Homepage: http://www.alaska-software.com
> WebKnowledgeBase: http://www.alaska-software.com/kbase.shtm
>
> Fax European Office: +49 (0) 61 96 - 77 99 99 23
> Fax US Office: +1 (646) 218 1281
>
> "Nestor G. Torres" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
> Hi S
>
> Try dropping your libs into
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\common
> and if that does not work into:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\cxp20
>
> If you have some includes
>
> try dropping them into
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Alaska Software\cxp20\include
>

> *Note I'm running a 64 bit Windows hence the (86)
>
> I hope this works for you
> Kind regards,
> Nestor
>
> On 2015/04/29 08:45 PM, Stephen Bryan wrote:
>> I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working
>> for me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.
>>
>> I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to
>> handle record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP
>> pages.
>>
>> Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed
>> to add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper
>> subfolder but I'm still getting a linker error.
>> ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol
>>
>> If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe
>> in a command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the
>> parameters.
>>
>> In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
>> I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
>> file.
>>
>> Am I missing something?

Andreas HerdtRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Thu, 30 Apr 2015 11:33:57 +0200
Hi Stephen,

> In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />

Try the following. Have a close look at the "s" at the end of the word:

<helpers  lib="MyFunc.lib" />

"Stephen Bryan"  schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working for
me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.

I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to handle
record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP pages.

Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed to
add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper subfolder
but I'm still getting a linker error.
ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol

If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe in a
command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the parameters.

In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
file.

Am I missing something?
Stephen BryanRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Mon, 04 May 2015 07:50:51 -0400
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for clearing the fact that it has to be "helpers" and not "helper".

I was basing the syntax off of one your old posts.

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:47:03 +0100

Add following XML fragment to the application.config file:

<helper lib="xb2net.lib" />

or

<helper dll="xb2net.dll" />

Stephen

>"Andreas Herdt" wrote in message

>Hi Stephen,

> In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />

>Try the following. Have a close look at the "s" at the end of the word:

><helpers  lib="MyFunc.lib" />

>Andreas Herdt
>Alaska Software

>Technical Support: support@alaska-software.com

>News Server: news.alaska-software.com
>Homepage: http://www.alaska-software.com
>WebKnowledgeBase: http://www.alaska-software.com/kbase.shtm

>Fax European Office: +49 (0) 61 96 - 77 99 99 23
>Fax US Office: +1 (646) 218 1281

>"Stephen Bryan"  schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working
>for
>me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.

>I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to handle
>record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP pages.

>Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed to
>add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper subfolder
>but I'm still getting a linker error.
>ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol

>If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe in a
>command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the parameters.

>In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
>I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
>file.

>Am I missing something?
Stephen BryanRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Mon, 04 May 2015 10:39:35 -0400
I may have spoken too soon.

After changing helper to helpers I'm still getting the same link error.

Using DebuggerView I can see
StaticHelpers:{"c:\inetpub\wwwroot\helpers\myfuncs.lib"}

but further down just before the build there is another StaticHelpers:{}
which is empty.

Stephen

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:47:03 +0100

Add following XML fragment to the application.config file:

<helper lib="xb2net.lib" />

or

<helper dll="xb2net.dll" />

Stephen

>"Andreas Herdt" wrote in message

>Hi Stephen,

> In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />

>Try the following. Have a close look at the "s" at the end of the word:

><helpers  lib="MyFunc.lib" />

>Andreas Herdt
>Alaska Software

>Technical Support: support@alaska-software.com

>News Server: news.alaska-software.com
>Homepage: http://www.alaska-software.com
>WebKnowledgeBase: http://www.alaska-software.com/kbase.shtm

>Fax European Office: +49 (0) 61 96 - 77 99 99 23
>Fax US Office: +1 (646) 218 1281

>"Stephen Bryan"  schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>I'm having the worst problem trying to figure out why this isn't working
>for
>me and it doesn't help that the documentation is incomplete.

>I've created an Xbase++ library of some basic network functions to handle
>record locking in my /CXP app and want to link it in my /CXP pages.

>Searching the forums I found a post by Andreas that shows I'm supposed to
>add an entry to application.config and place my files in a helper subfolder
>but I'm still getting a linker error.
>ALINK: fatal error ALK2102: unresolved external symbol

>If I copy the parameters for the build process and run cxc-builder.exe in a
>command prompt it will link if I add the path to the lib in the parameters.

>In application.config I have <helper lib="MyFunc.lib" />
>I created a subfolder named "helper" and into it copied the lib and dll
>file.

>Am I missing something?
Stephen BryanRe: Linking Lib in /CXP
on Mon, 04 May 2015 12:29:31 -0400
I added the  <helpers  lib="MyFunc.lib" />   to test.cxp.config and it
compiled and linked without an error.
It would be nice to know what all the different config files are used for
and what the differences are.

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:47:03 +0100