Alaska Software Inc. - Missing databases
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Missing databases
James LoughnerMissing databases
on Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:53:30 -0400
I have seen random closing of all DBFs in a thread.

This happens randomly and is not reproducible. All Database in thread
get closed and failure happens with bad alias error. The error log shows
only DBFs in main open, thread is empty of DBFs. It does not happen
often but I've seen it at almost ever installation. Problem stared about
6 months ago maybe. At least first noticed.

Anyone else seen this problem??

Jim
James LoughnerRe: Missing databases
on Tue, 11 May 2021 14:46:17 -0400
No one else seen this? Maybe because the program is over 500K lines and
about 68meg exe has several third party DLL's linked?????

I see this maybe once a week or so in a user base of 30 installations
and about 100+ users. So rare. Since it is entirely random and not
reproducible, I'm not sure how to debug it.

Jim

On 4/26/21 5:53 PM, James Loughner wrote:
> I have seen random closing of all DBFs in a thread.
>
> This happens randomly and is not reproducible. All Database in thread
> get closed and failure happens with bad alias error. The error log shows
> only DBFs in main open, thread is empty of DBFs. It does not happen
> often but I've seen it at almost ever installation. Problem stared about
> 6 months ago maybe. At least first noticed.
>
> Anyone else seen this problem??
>
> Jim

Osvaldo RamirezRe: Missing databases
on Tue, 11 May 2021 13:03:12 -0600
On 11/05/21 12:46, James Loughner wrote:
> No one else seen this? Maybe because the program is over 500K lines and
> about 68meg exe has several third party DLL's linked?????
>
> I see this maybe once a week or so in a user base of 30 installations
> and about 100+ users. So rare. Since it is entirely random and not
> reproducible, I'm not sure how to debug it.
>
> Jim
>
> On 4/26/21 5:53 PM, James Loughner wrote:
>> I have seen random closing of all DBFs in a thread.
>>
>> This happens randomly and is not reproducible. All Database in thread
>> get closed and failure happens with bad alias error. The error log
>> shows only DBFs in main open, thread is empty of DBFs. It does not
>> happen often but I've seen it at almost ever installation. Problem
>> stared about 6 months ago maybe. At least first noticed.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this problem??
>>
>> Jim

Sorry Jim, I dont have any clue.

Best Regards
Osvaldo Ramirez
Matej JuracRe: Missing databases
on Thu, 13 May 2021 10:26:34 +0200
hello

- Can it be, you have some 'rogue' DbCloseAll() hidden somewhere in code for individual threads

- Is everything you use "thread safe" - eg. it is checked for cross referencing, stand alone operability

- Exe size is not relevant as with xpp memory problems do occur but only  when mem usage goes over 800-900MB .

- how high is your allocated "stack" and global/public variable use?

- Does it happen on different OS versions ?

- Server is Windows Server or SAMBA @Linux ? ; If windows, does it have adequate resources and quality of network resources for the job?

also... you should for managability of code split it into several .prg and use STATIC FUNCTION wherever possible to decrease clutter

James Loughner wrote in message news:3a542b18$508ae167$1e02@news.alaska-software.com...
>No one else seen this? Maybe because the program is over 500K lines and
>about 68meg exe has several third party DLL's linked?????
>
>I see this maybe once a week or so in a user base of 30 installations
>and about 100+ users. So rare. Since it is entirely random and not
>reproducible, I'm not sure how to debug it.
>
>Jim
>
>On 4/26/21 5:53 PM, James Loughner wrote:
>> I have seen random closing of all DBFs in a thread.
>>
>> This happens randomly and is not reproducible. All Database in thread
>> get closed and failure happens with bad alias error. The error log shows
>> only DBFs in main open, thread is empty of DBFs. It does not happen
>> often but I've seen it at almost ever installation. Problem stared about
>> 6 months ago maybe. At least first noticed.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this problem??
>>
>> Jim

James LoughnerRe: Missing databases
on Thu, 13 May 2021 17:18:59 -0400
On 5/13/21 4:26 AM, Matej Jurac wrote:
> hello
>
> - Can it be, you have some 'rogue' DbCloseAll() hidden somewhere in code for individual threads

maybe but totally unreproducable so unclear what may be triggering it.
Will look into it. I do have a DBF class to manage open and closing of
related database in each thread for the most part. I'll see if I can do
some logging there. I've used this class unchanged for years but the
problem is more recent.

But the problem happens often in the middle of a method all is well data
in use then all of a sudden alias error and all DBFs are reported closed
for the thread but the couple that are in Main are still there in the
error logs. Don't see that with syntax or other error conditions just
this ghost.

> - Is everything you use "thread safe" - eg. it is checked for cross referencing, stand alone operability

Mostly it is 550K lines of code LOL much of which is translated from old
clipper code that was not well written.>

> - Exe size is not relevant as with xpp memory problems do occur but only  when mem usage goes over 800-900MB .

I'll keep an eye on that

> - how high is your allocated "stack" and global/public variable use?

Stack can get a bit long but the error logs don't show anything out of
the normal range

> - Does it happen on different OS versions ?

Yes across 30 installation each having 2 to 20 users. Win10 (mix of
flavors Win 7 (trying to get rid of). RDP Server housing 8 instance at
the moment

> - Server is Windows Server or SAMBA @Linux ? ; If windows, does it have adequate resources and quality of network resources for the job?

Servers are a bit loose most are not using real severs but a PC on the
Net. Some are not dedicated but just another workstation. One
installation is using a Linux server via Samba

> also... you should for managability of code split it into several .prg and use STATIC FUNCTION wherever possible to decrease clutter

Well 692 prg at the moment 556487 lines. Much code is in classes but
still lots of legacy from clipper. 655 XXF files . 400-1000 DBF
depending on setup.

Thanks for your interest

Jim

> James Loughner wrote in message news:3a542b18$508ae167$1e02@news.alaska-software.com...
>> No one else seen this? Maybe because the program is over 500K lines and
>> about 68meg exe has several third party DLL's linked?????
>>
>> I see this maybe once a week or so in a user base of 30 installations
>> and about 100+ users. So rare. Since it is entirely random and not
>> reproducible, I'm not sure how to debug it.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On 4/26/21 5:53 PM, James Loughner wrote:
>>> I have seen random closing of all DBFs in a thread.
>>>
>>> This happens randomly and is not reproducible. All Database in thread
>>> get closed and failure happens with bad alias error. The error log shows
>>> only DBFs in main open, thread is empty of DBFs. It does not happen
>>> often but I've seen it at almost ever installation. Problem stared about
>>> 6 months ago maybe. At least first noticed.
>>>
>>> Anyone else seen this problem??
>>>
>>> Jim

Otto TrappRe: Missing databases
on Fri, 28 May 2021 08:48:12 +0200
Hello Jim,

Years ago I experienced similar when inside a FOR LOOP I used ALIAS
references including the macro operator (eg. ALIASNAME->&(cFieldName)).
I eliminated the macro field references in the LOOP with FieldPut() /
FieldGet() functions and the problem went away. I did not find any
reasonable explanation for the issue.

Otto

2021. 04. 26. 23:53 keltezéssel, James Loughner írta:
> I have seen random closing of all DBFs in a thread.
>
> This happens randomly and is not reproducible. All Database in thread
> get closed and failure happens with bad alias error. The error log shows
> only DBFs in main open, thread is empty of DBFs. It does not happen
> often but I've seen it at almost ever installation. Problem stared about
> 6 months ago maybe. At least first noticed.
>
> Anyone else seen this problem??
>
> Jim

James LoughnerRe: Missing databases
on Tue, 01 Jun 2021 14:13:23 -0400
If it always happened at the same point maybe but in this case it
appears totally random and I don't use that construct

In this case I use (alaisstring)->field format but all database in the
thread appear to be closed.
Jim