Alaska Software Inc. - Xbase++ App slow down when > 4 GB is used
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Xbase++ App slow down when > 4 GB is used
Jim LeeXbase++ App slow down when > 4 GB is used
on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:11:41 +0100
hi,

when open many Apps using more than 4 GB RAM than Xbase++ Apps slow down !
see my last Msg about 1000 SLE. it take about 2 Sec. on my PC under Window
10 32/64Bit

when start virtualbox using 3072Mb RAM my Xbase++ App stiil work fine
but when start another virtualbaox with 3072Mb (have 16GB) Xbase++ App slow
down 500% and more !!!

seems Xbase++ is limited to 4GB "for all App and OS" ?

---
http://www.avg.com
Matej JuracRe: Xbase++ App slow down when > 4 GB is used
on Fri, 15 Mar 2019 08:21:33 +0100
Hello Mr. Lee

- xbase is 32bit compiler and produced 32 bit app cannot address more than 3GB
memory in any case and due to some constrains probably even less

- by default (at least 1.9 was such, can be case with r 2.x too) .exe runs all
threads on first core of first cpu by default so it does not automatically use
all cores of CPU - solution is that you have to set affinity with call to
_syssetcpu each time you run exe.

This is a problem with multi-user machines (citrix and windows terminal
server) when app without randomizing use of cpu hogs cpu0 to 100% whilst other
cores were left unused.

If this is still case with 2.x , official support from Alaska should write a
word or two here on hot to mitigate it.

hope this helps you

Jim Lee wrote in message news:4b131de7$6c77952c$49a63@news.alaska-software.com...
>hi,
>
>when open many Apps using more than 4 GB RAM than Xbase++ Apps slow down !
>see my last Msg about 1000 SLE. it take about 2 Sec. on my PC under Window
>10 32/64Bit
>
>when start virtualbox using 3072Mb RAM my Xbase++ App stiil work fine
>but when start another virtualbaox with 3072Mb (have 16GB) Xbase++ App slow
>down 500% and more !!!
>
>seems Xbase++ is limited to 4GB "for all App and OS" ?
>

>---
>http://www.avg.com
Jim LeeRe: Xbase++ App slow down when > 4 GB is used
on Sat, 16 Mar 2019 01:48:09 +0100
hi,

Thx for Answer,

i know that 32Bit App can max. use 3GB but normal EACH App can use 3GB and
not limeted by other Apps.
as i say try to start many Apps e.g. Office, Browser or like me virtualBox
and than your Xbase++ App.

using that small Demo Code it take 10 Sec. or more to create when over 4 GB
is used.

---

i know that Xbparts are much slower than harbour or VFP but i can live with
it. (harbour/VFP paint to DC not oPS)
but when my 32bit Xbase++ App have Trouble with "4 GB for ALL" ...

as i does not happend with harbour or VFP it must be a big BUG in Xbase++
(every Version) ... never saw it before

---
http://www.avg.com