Alaska Software Inc. - Browse with SqlExpress
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Browse with SqlExpress
Ben BodensteinBrowse with SqlExpress
on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 12:38:44 +0200
Is anybody using browses with SqlExpress on SQL tables and if so, which
library works the best?
I tried using Topdown browses but the functionality for Sql browses is
not working.

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Raymond FischbachRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:20:00 +0200
Après mûre réflexion, Ben Bodenstein a écrit :
> Is anybody using browses with SqlExpress on SQL tables and if so, which
> library works the best?
> I tried using Topdown browses but the functionality for Sql browses is not
> working.
>
> Any pointers will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Hi Ben,

I definitely dislike this type of sentence.
1. It is not because you cannot have it working that it is not. You
seem to indicate that Topdown is not a good product.
2. You don't even tell which "functionality".
3. You ask questions in various NG and don't seem to read the answers
that people are giving.

Best regards,
Raymond
Ben BodensteinRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:07:34 +0200
Hi Raymond,

My sincere apologies if I offended anybody in some way, but maybe I
didn't make myself clear enough.
I am using Topdown extensively and regard it as a very good product
without which I would not have been able to convert my Clipper
applications to Windows.

My only problem is that I tried to use Clayton's (blessed be his soul)
Sql routines that he was in his own words experimenting with. Maybe he
did get the SqlBrow working on the MDB file he tested it on, but it did
not work to update any rows when I tried it on MySql tables.

I did see your answer on my Topdown post but I've got no idea how to
incorporate that sort of statement in the tdSqlBrow routine that Clayton
did for Sql browses to update a field when changing it in the browse.

That is why I want to look at other libraries like xClass++ to see if
there are not perhaps a way I can get the browses to work in Sql.

Regards,
Ben
Raymond FischbachRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:30:25 +0200
Ben Bodenstein avait prétendu :
> Hi Raymond,
>
> My sincere apologies if I offended anybody in some way, but maybe I didn't
> make myself clear enough.
> I am using Topdown extensively and regard it as a very good product without
> which I would not have been able to convert my Clipper applications to
> Windows.
>
> My only problem is that I tried to use Clayton's (blessed be his soul) Sql
> routines that he was in his own words experimenting with. Maybe he did get
> the SqlBrow working on the MDB file he tested it on, but it did not work to
> update any rows when I tried it on MySql tables.
>
> I did see your answer on my Topdown post but I've got no idea how to
> incorporate that sort of statement in the tdSqlBrow routine that Clayton did
> for Sql browses to update a field when changing it in the browse.
>
> That is why I want to look at other libraries like xClass++ to see if there
> are not perhaps a way I can get the browses to work in Sql.
>
> Regards,
> Ben

Find attached 2 *.prg that I use in an app to maintain a table.

The comments are in french but I think that the code is clear enough to
be understandable.

I use an access database in this case but I already tried it with some
pgSQL in another program (I cannot show the code of this app). In fact
there is no differences except the connect string for what I am
concerned.

I hope this will help you.

Sorry for my "strong" answer in the other post but I was shocked
because it was misinformation for me and concerned someone which could
not defend himself.

Best regards,
Raymond

Biblio.zip
Ben BodensteinRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 13:43:09 +0200
Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your help, but the zip file you attached is password protected.
Can you send me the password please, either here or to my personal email.

Regards,
Ben
Raymond FischbachRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 16:08:31 +0200
Ben Bodenstein avait soumis l'idée :
> Hi Raymond,
>
> Thanks for your help, but the zip file you attached is password protected.
> Can you send me the password please, either here or to my personal email.
>
> Regards,
> Ben

Hi Ben,

The zip is not protected.
No problem to send you the file by e-mail but I need to know the
address

Best regards,
Raymond
Raymond FischbachRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Sun, 18 Sep 2016 16:15:11 +0200
Raymond Fischbach a pensé très fort :
> Ben Bodenstein avait soumis l'idée :
>> Hi Raymond,
>>
>> Thanks for your help, but the zip file you attached is password protected.
>> Can you send me the password please, either here or to my personal email.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ben
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> The zip is not protected.
> No problem to send you the file by e-mail but I need to know the address
>
> Best regards,
> Raymond

I just saw your e-mail and I responded.
Matej JuracRe: Browse with SqlExpress
on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:08:09 +0200
Not entirely sure if you mean SqlExpress from BorzicB or MS SQL Server Express
edition.

Personally for xbase apps it is and almost exclusively (2003? not sure)
Borzic's SQL Express. It just works, connect & communication is done over ODBC
(which adds overhead, but is mature & supported interface including security)
for all 'fat clients'. Also tech support works as it should.

I tried also with Alaska's own drivers (ODBCDBE around 2006), but it just did
not work in way as advertised and also you cannot really expect to xbase logic
work in sql world.

For one of clients developers (in-house devs) I know of extensive usage of
libmysql.dll (mysql C library) for direct communication to MySql for its speed
advantage & they solved lack of xbase's integrated support UTF with that.
Afaik still works without problems for them.

On to sample (any SQL database + SqlExpress of borzic & Express++):

This is short sample of very basic dialog that browser users personal &
intermeddiate table of incoming SEPA payments. Somo words are in Slovenian,
but just to give you idea and is stripped of almost all popups, context menus,
printing is done by xsltproc & wkhtmltopdf etc - as simple as it gets.

It uses SqlExpress (Sql Library) & Donnay's Express++ (UI library), but mind
it uses few external functions for coloring, push buttons etc and it will not
run by just compiling it. Express++ can be easily omitted with pure Xbase
xbpbrowse & xbpcolumn classes.

Some code:

FUNCTION ViewEdPaym(cUserId)
  LOCAL oBrowser
  LOCAL GetList := {}
  LOCAL GetOptions
  LOCAL dbPlac, cQuery

  //query, simple & basic
  cQuery := "SELECT * FROM prilivi"+cUsedId+" ORDER BY stevilka "

  //get data from server, m->oConnect is public object that contains live
  //connection to SQL database (in case of this it is either MySql/MSSQL )
  dbPlac := CreateSQLCursor( m->oConnect, 1, cQuery )

  //set key for updates (handy thing built in SqlExpress)
  dbPlac:SetPrimaryKey({"stevilka"})

 //just create browser & add few columns
  @ 2,1 DCBROWSE oBrowser DATA dbPlac SIZE 150,25 USEVISUALSTYLE CURSORMODE
XBPBRW_CURSOR_ROW
     DCBROWSECOL DATA {|| dbPlac:FieldGet("VIR_INF")} HEADER "V.Inf" WIDTH 2
PARENT oBrowser
     DCBROWSECOL DATA {|| dbPlac:FieldGet("DATUM1")} HEADER "Datum" WIDTH 7
PARENT oBrowser
     DCBROWSECOL DATA {|| dbPlac:FieldGet("kredit")} HEADER "Priliv" WIDTH 8
PARENT oBrowser ;
                 COLOR {|| DajBarvZnes(dbPlac:FieldGet("kredit"))}

 //here be more columns ...

  //some pushbuttons
  @ 1,1 DCPUSHBUTTONXP CAPTION "Import SEPA";
          ACTION {|| Import(dbPlac,oBrowser), SetAppFocus(oBrowser) };
          SIZE 20,1 COLOR {GRA_CLR_BLACK,GRA_CLR_YELLOW}

  //even more pushbottons be here, but removed for ease of reading

  @ 1,106 DCPUSHBUTTONXP CAPTION "Print";
          ACTION {|| _DoPrint(dbPlac,oBrowser,"WKSHTML","SEPA","sepa.xsl"),
SetAppFocus(oBrowser) };
          SIZE 20,1 COLOR {GRA_CLR_BLACK,GRA_CLR_YELLOW}

    //some visual settings
    DCGETOPTIONS ICON 800 AUTORESIZE NOMINBUTTON COLOR BkGetColor()
    DCREAD GUI TITLE "Incoming SEPA" OPTIONS GetOptions FIT EVAL {|o|
SetappWindow(o), SetAppFocus(oBrowser)} MODAL

  //this is important: close cursor of above query after it is not needed anymore
  dbPlac:Destroy()

RETURN .T.

Ben Bodenstein wrote in message
>Is anybody using browses with SqlExpress on SQL tables and if so, which
>library works the best?
>I tried using Topdown browses but the functionality for Sql browses is
>not working.
>
>Any pointers will be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Ben
Edgar Borger Re: Browse with SqlExpress
on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:48:39 -0300
I do it using pure xbase XbpBrowse..... with Boris lib

Em 17/09/2016 07:38, Ben Bodenstein escreveu:

> Is anybody using browses with SqlExpress on SQL tables and if so, which library works the best?
> I tried using Topdown browses but the functionality for Sql browses is not working.
>
> Any pointers will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Edgar Borger