Alaska Software Inc. - Problem with Watchpoints
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Problem with Watchpoints
Klemens LichterProblem with Watchpoints
on Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:55:00 +0100
Hi,
if I open the watchpoint window and want create a new watchpoint I have
1) to enter a new expression
2) click on Evaliate expression
3) Click on Add to watch View.

(1) and (2) you can do everytime but if the expression is not valid at the
given situation (maybe you want to watch a static or local variable that is
not currently visible) the Add to watch view-Button is not enabled. So you
only can enter expressions that are valid at the moment you want to add
them. This is not good. Im used to enter needed watchpoints at program
start so all necessary things are prepared before I go deeper in the code
while debugging. Also this gives me the possibility to check when the
variable will be initialized.
I think it should be possible to enter every expression if it is valid or
not and set it to the watch window. The option to check the expression is
good to have, but it should not decide whether I can set the watchpoint or
not.

There is a workaround: If your expression is not valid, just enter another
expression that is valid first, this enables the "Add..." button. Than enter
the invalid expression and instantly click the add-button without checking
if expression is valid or not. This way you can add invalid expressions. And
this shows that the debugger can handle invalid expressions.

But anyway, this should be fixed in the next version. Thank you.

Klemens
Till WarwegRe: Problem with Watchpoints
on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:42:21 +0100
"Klemens Lichter" <csl@lichter.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> if I open the watchpoint window and want create a new watchpoint I have
> 1) to enter a new expression
> 2) click on Evaliate expression
> 3) Click on Add to watch View.
>
> (1) and (2) you can do everytime but if the expression is not valid at the
> given situation (maybe you want to watch a static or local variable that
is
> not currently visible) the Add to watch view-Button is not enabled. So you
> only can enter expressions that are valid at the moment you want to add
> them. This is not good. Im used to enter needed watchpoints at program
> start so all necessary things are prepared before I go deeper in the code
> while debugging. Also this gives me the possibility to check when the
> variable will be initialized.
> I think it should be possible to enter every expression if it is valid or
> not and set it to the watch window. The option to check the expression is
> good to have, but it should not decide whether I can set the watchpoint or
> not.

Klemens,

I agree. This is a limitation that's not necessary. Attempting to validate
the expressions that can be added to the watch is nice but in this case,
it's limiting your options. I'll see to it.

Regards,
  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Klemens LichterRe: Problem with Watchpoints
on Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:00:11 +0100
"Till Warweg" <till.warweg@alaska-research.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I agree. This is a limitation that's not necessary. Attempting to validate
> the expressions that can be added to the watch is nice but in this case,
> it's limiting your options. I'll see to it.

Thank you
Klemens