Alaska Software Inc. - screen problem
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: screen problem
Rich Ervinscreen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:17:57 -0400
I have a client who converted application to Alaska 1.8 about a year ago.
They tend to run multiple screens and evidently they are working and the
screen just disappears. The workstations are all XP.

Has anyone experienced that problem?

thanks
rich ervin
James Loughner Re: screen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:00:08 -0400
Do you get a fatal error log (XPPFATAL.LOG)???

What type of App Full GUI/Hybrid/console??

Are they using a custom error handler?? An error in the error handler
can sometimes cause this. Though usually you do get a XPFATAL.LOG

Jim

Rich Ervin wrote:
> I have a client who converted application to Alaska 1.8 about a year ago.
> They tend to run multiple screens and evidently they are working and the
> screen just disappears. The workstations are all XP.
>
> Has anyone experienced that problem?
>
> thanks
> rich ervin

Rich ErvinRe: screen problem
on Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:13:47 -0400
Thanks for all the responses
This application is converted using APPSYS on the front end. Is that
considered hybrid?

Anyway, I don't have fatal log file. I have one from a week ago but, not on
the day they called me about the screen. There is no custome handler.

The users of this application tend to use multiple sessions.
They could be running 2 to 5 sessions.

Thanks
rich
"James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> Do you get a fatal error log (XPPFATAL.LOG)???
>
> What type of App Full GUI/Hybrid/console??
>
> Are they using a custom error handler?? An error in the error handler can
> sometimes cause this. Though usually you do get a XPFATAL.LOG
>
> Jim
>
> Rich Ervin wrote:
>> I have a client who converted application to Alaska 1.8 about a year ago.
>> They tend to run multiple screens and evidently they are working and the
>> screen just disappears. The workstations are all XP.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced that problem?
>>
>> thanks
>> rich ervin
Brent Dubs Re: screen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:07:24 -0500
Rich,

>  evidently they are working and the screen just disappears.

Did the screen fall off their desk? What do you mean by this?

Does a XPPFatal.log exist?

-Brent
Joe Carrick Re: screen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:35:31 -0700
ROFLLLLLLLLL

Brent Dubs wrote:
> Rich,
>
>>  evidently they are working and the screen just disappears.
>

> Did the screen fall off their desk? What do you mean by this?
>
> Does a XPPFatal.log exist?
>
> -Brent

James Loughner Re: screen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:48:13 -0400
Brent has been deal with too many chippies :-}

Joe Carrick wrote:
> ROFLLLLLLLLL
>
> Brent Dubs wrote:
>> Rich,
>>
>>>  evidently they are working and the screen just disappears.
>>

>> Did the screen fall off their desk? What do you mean by this?
>>
>> Does a XPPFatal.log exist?
>>
>> -Brent

Joe Carrick Re: screen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:23:39 -0700
Actually, I was laughing because it reminded me of my sister-in-law who
often does something to get an older clipper app (running full screen)
to suddenly minimize.  Then she can never figure out where it went -
even though its visible on the taskbar.  She insists it just disappeared.

James Loughner wrote:
> Brent has been deal with too many chippies :-}
>

> Joe Carrick wrote:
>
>> ROFLLLLLLLLL
>>
>> Brent Dubs wrote:
>>
>>> Rich,

>>> Did the screen fall off their desk? What do you mean by this?
>>>
>>> Does a XPPFatal.log exist?
>>>
>>> -Brent

Brent Dubs Re: screen problem
on Thu, 08 Jun 2006 08:58:07 -0500
> Brent has been deal with too many chippies :-}

Yes I do...  I had one the other day tell me that our program was frozen
and also her screen was hard to see. She had been trying to use it for
hours before she called. It turns out that the computer was off and the
outline of the program's menu was burned into the screen.

-Brent
Eric BreddamRe: screen problem
on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:12:50 -0700
Following up the other two re:  XPPFATAL.LOG, it may occaisionally appear in
a directory other than where the application is, due to the current
directory setting via file dialogs and/or printer dialogs... so maybe do a
complete search of the machine(s) before you assume there isn't one...

Eric Breddam
SOM Data Services