Alaska Software Inc. - Script
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Script
Carlos Antonio BelingScript
on Thu, 17 Jun 2021 12:22:55 -0300
Good day.
I have an app that creates its shortcut in a server for general use.
When that app is moved from one path to another, the shorcut is rebuild.
This makes that the old ones that were copied into the stations to be
replaced by the new one.
For avoiding this procedure, I'd like to have a script on the server
that will execute that shortcut. This script can to be copied to each
one station and, if needed, only to be updated in the server.
If it ispossible, how can this script can be?

Fraternally
Beling
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Script
on Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:06:07 -0400
Carlos,

>I have an app that creates its shortcut in a server for general use.
>When that app is moved from one path to another, the shorcut is rebuild.
>This makes that the old ones that were copied into the stations to be
>replaced by the new one.

I'm not sure that I understand the environment or process correctly, but I
would suggest to make the shortcut permanently point to a fixed location,
which would be a batch file or script that starts the actual app. Then you
only need to modify that script if the path changes, rather than all the
shortcuts that start that app.

>For avoiding this procedure, I'd like to have a script on the server
>that will execute that shortcut. This script can to be copied to each
>one station and, if needed, only to be updated in the server.
>If it ispossible, how can this script can be?

I believe you are asking here for a script that creates a shortcut on a
particular workstation. This sounds unnecessary complex to me, if you can
do it the other way around, and simply update the script that starts the
app, rather than all the shortcuts. Nevertheless, there are some ways to
do that using for example VBScript. See:

https://superuser.com/questions/392061/how-to-make-a-shortcut-from-cmd

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[L]:   https://www.LinkedIn.com/in/AndreasGehrsPahl
[F]:   https://www.FaceBook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Carlos Antonio BelingRe: Script
on Fri, 02 Jul 2021 19:01:47 -0300
Hi Andreas.
Good night.
Many thanks again and again and again.
Please see below.

Fraternally
Beling

Em 18/06/2021 19:06, Andreas Gehrs-Pahl escreveu:
> Carlos,
>
>> I have an app that creates its shortcut in a server for general use.
>> When that app is moved from one path to another, the shorcut is rebuild.
>> This makes that the old ones that were copied into the stations to be
>> replaced by the new one.
>
> I'm not sure that I understand the environment or process correctly, but I
> would suggest to make the shortcut permanently point to a fixed location,

That's what I would like. And I think thatthe only safe way to have it
working fine is that it always stays  in the server.

> which would be a batch file or script that starts the actual app. Then you
> only need to modify that script if the path changes, rather than all the
> shortcuts that start that app.

Yes. That is what I'd like to do, like this:

CashFlow.lnk -> StartMyApp.lnk -> ExecMyAp.lnk

CashFlow.lnk is a unique shortcut used in all workstations and does not
change
StartMyApp.lnk is single one shortcut that stays only in the server and
does not change and allways points to the ExecMyApp.lnk
ExecMyApp.lnk is a single one shortcut that stays only in the server and
can to be change when needed.

>> For avoiding this procedure, I'd like to have a script on the server
>> that will execute that shortcut. This script can to be copied to each
>> one station and, if needed, only to be updated in the server.
>> If it ispossible, how can this script can be?
>
> I believe you are asking here for a script that creates a shortcut on a
> particular workstation. This sounds unnecessary complex to me, if you can
> do it the other way around, and simply update the script that starts the
> app, rather than all the shortcuts. Nevertheless, there are some ways to
> do that using for example VBScript. See:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/392061/how-to-make-a-shortcut-from-cmd

The app creates one shortcut in the desktop, one in it's folder and one
in the start menu every time it's installation changes. It does what the
ExecMyApp.lnk above should to do.