Alaska Software Inc. - Upsize failing on cdx
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Upsize failing on cdx
Peter CsehUpsize failing on cdx
on Fri, 09 Jul 2021 15:54:45 +0200
I am also having issues with the upsize tool and index files.
The index file is a simple CDX with 3 orders:
Tag:    Index Expression:
ARCUS01 FCUSTNO+FACCT
CUSNAME UPPER(FCOMPANY)
ADDRESS FADDRBOOK

Here is the upsize file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>

<config>

<database_engines>
  <dbebuild name="DBFNTX">
     <storage name="DBFDBE"/>
     <order   name="NTXDBE"/>
  </dbebuild>
  <dbebuild name="DBFCDX">
     <storage name="DBFDBE"/>
     <order   name="CDXDBE"/>
  </dbebuild>
  <dbebuild name="FOXCDX">
     <storage name="FOXDBE"/>
     <order   name="CDXDBE"/>
  </dbebuild>
  <dbeload name="pgdbe"/>
  <dbeload name="ADSDBE">
     <storage name="DBFDBE"/>
     <order   name="CDXDBE"/>
  </dbeload>
</database_engines>

<connection name="test"
            dbe="pgdbe"
            srv="localhost"
            uid="postgres"
            pwd="Descartes1231!"
            database="ShipAPI"/>

<!-- data\customer files -->

       dbe  = "dbfcdx"
       dbf  = "testpg.dbf">
      <order>"testpg.cdx"</order>

<upsize table="testpg" connection="test" mode="isam"/>

</config>

and the log which is not very helpful:

>>> start upsize
>>> start configuration
>>> start load configuration file
<<< done load configuration file
>>> start validate configuration
<<< done validate configuration
>>> start load database engine(s)
<<< done load database engine(s)
<<< done configuration
>>> start verify upsize target connections
<<< done verify upsize target connections
>>> start prepare upsize process
--- Error: not able to open order file:"testpg.cdx"
+++ some data files are not accessible, please correct this and try again
<<< prepare upsize process failed!
Prepare upsize process failed, for details see log!

Help!
Thanks,
Jim LeeRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Sun, 11 Jul 2021 21:05:16 +0200
hi,

> CUSNAME UPPER(FCOMPANY)

does UPPER() exist in Postgre ?
you can only use PostgreSQL Function to create Postgre Index-

---
http://www.avg.com
Matej JuracRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Mon, 12 Jul 2021 08:16:26 +0200
UPPER() is a valid posgreSQL function

Jim Lee je 11.7.2021 ob 21:05 napisal:
> hi,
>
>> CUSNAME UPPER(FCOMPANY)
>
> does UPPER() exist in Postgre ?
> you can only use PostgreSQL Function to create Postgre Index-
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Jim LeeRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:19:04 +0200
> UPPER() is a valid posgreSQL function

are you sure that UPPER() is the same as upper() under PostgreSQL ...

---
http://www.avg.com
Matej JuracRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 08:39:12 +0200
Run this query.

select 'some string' as lowercase, upper('some string') as two,
UPPER('some string') AS three;

output:

"some string";"SOME STRING";"SOME STRING"

old release PGsql -  9.5, UTF db

Jim Lee je 13.7.2021 ob 22:19 napisal:

>> UPPER() is a valid posgreSQL function
>
> are you sure that UPPER() is the same as upper() under PostgreSQL ...
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Matej JuracRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 08:53:24 +0200
Run this query.

select 'some string' as lowercase, upper('some string') as two,
UPPER('some string') AS three;

Also: pgsql does respect local lexical rules when database is configured
for proper locale with sorting and conversion so correct db
configuration is important.

On dedicated server configured

PG UTF8 + ANSI sort
vs
PG ANSI + POLISH locale

will give different sorted output of same data

As I read posts below pgdbe upsize tool need refresh on diagnostic
messaging + logs + error description during data transformation.

Matej Jurac je 14.7.2021 ob 8:39 napisal:
> Run this query.
>
> select 'some string' as lowercase, upper('some string') as two,
> UPPER('some string') AS three;
>

> output:
>
> "some string";"SOME STRING";"SOME STRING"
>

> old release PGsql -  9.5, UTF db
>

> Jim Lee je 13.7.2021 ob 22:19 napisal:
>>
>>> UPPER() is a valid posgreSQL function
>>
>> are you sure that UPPER() is the same as upper() under PostgreSQL ...
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.avg.com

Peter CsehRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Wed, 14 Jul 2021 18:11:41 +0200
Matej Jurac wrote in message news:2f9281c3$58885fb2$26c5@news.alaska-
software.com...
>UPPER() is a valid posgreSQL function
>
>Jim Lee je 11.7.2021 ob 21:05 napisal:
>> hi,
>>
>>> CUSNAME UPPER(FCOMPANY)
>>
>> does UPPER() exist in Postgre ?
>> you can only use PostgreSQL Function to create Postgre Index-
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.avg.com

Thanks for the replies.
1) I do understand then why the upsize tool is failing.
2) How would I manually create the index with the upper() function? In
PgAdmin III I only have the option to add columns to an index.
Matej JuracRe: Upsize failing on cdx
on Thu, 15 Jul 2021 07:50:24 +0200
In pure sql you do that

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/sql-createindex.html

CREATE INDEX ix_tablename_cusname3 ON  (UPPER(FCOMPANY)) ;

mind that postgres sql table and databse names are case sensitive on
Unix and Linux systems

even if you do not have active index on table, use of order by, where,
join etc will do sort datasets to give you data. It will just take more
time . And you can analyze it within tools with execution profiler.

But am not sure on PGDBE driver use what it requires indexes to be made.
Apart from casual look i never used pgdbe and used sqlexpress since start.