Alaska Software Inc. - Using Manifest
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Using Manifest
Jack DuijfUsing Manifest
on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:51:51 +0200
Hello,

I started using manifest files to look my application as Xp-style.
All looks verry good, but i do not understand why i can not see when a
xbPushbutton has focus.
I use the TAB key to go thru the form. In win-2000 look, i can see that a
pushbutton gets "marked" or has focus.
In Xp-look, i can not see when the button has focus.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jack Duijf,
Member of XXP Netherlands.
Joe Carrick Re: Using Manifest
on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:50:57 -0800
Hi Jack,

It should work, but there could be problems based on the Parent/Owner
relationships, etc.

My MxPushbutton Class works with manifest files and provides a lot more.
  It would help to see your code (at least a good example) in order to
know what's wrong.

-Joe

Jack Duijf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started using manifest files to look my application as Xp-style.
> All looks verry good, but i do not understand why i can not see when a
> xbPushbutton has focus.
> I use the TAB key to go thru the form. In win-2000 look, i can see that a
> pushbutton gets "marked" or has focus.
> In Xp-look, i can not see when the button has focus.
>
> Any suggestions?

Mark Sergent Re: Using Manifest
on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:27:42 -0800
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:51:51 +0200, Jack Duijf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I started using manifest files to look my application as Xp-style.
> All looks verry good, but i do not understand why i can not see when a
> xbPushbutton has focus.
> I use the TAB key to go thru the form. In win-2000 look, i can see that a
> pushbutton gets "marked" or has focus.
> In Xp-look, i can not see when the button has focus.
>
> Any suggestions?

There is a way to stop this behavior on Windows XP.

Go to Desktop Properties, select the "Appearance" Tab, click the "Effects"
button, and uncheck the "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation
until I press the Alt key" check box.

This will cause your menu items with shortcut underlines to be displayed
all of the time instead of when you press alt..... But will fix the problem
with manifested componenets not showing focus... Worth Having to look at
the menu underlines in my opinion.

It was a hint in a previous posting by Andread Gethrs-Pahl so if it works
thank him!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Mark Sergent
InnSource Solutions Inc.
www.innsourcesolutions.com
mark@innsourcesolutions.com
Mark Sergent Re: Using Manifest
on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:06:08 -0800
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:27:42 -0800, Mark Sergent wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:51:51 +0200, Jack Duijf wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I started using manifest files to look my application as Xp-style.
>> All looks verry good, but i do not understand why i can not see when a
>> xbPushbutton has focus.
>> I use the TAB key to go thru the form. In win-2000 look, i can see that a
>> pushbutton gets "marked" or has focus.
>> In Xp-look, i can not see when the button has focus.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> There is a way to stop this behavior on Windows XP.
>
> Go to Desktop Properties, select the "Appearance" Tab, click the "Effects"
> button, and uncheck the "Hide underlined letters for keyboard navigation
> until I press the Alt key" check box.
>
> This will cause your menu items with shortcut underlines to be displayed
> all of the time instead of when you press alt..... But will fix the problem
> with manifested componenets not showing focus... Worth Having to look at
> the menu underlines in my opinion.
>
> It was a hint in a previous posting by Andread Gethrs-Pahl so if it works
> thank him!!!!!
>
> Hope this helps.

Just as a follow up, you can also disable this option in the registry to
stop the problem from coming back.

Hide the Keyboard Navigation Settings
Start/Run/Regedit - This restriction disables the "Hide keyboard navigation
indicators until I use the ALT key" option in the Display Control Panel.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Value Name: NoChangeKeyboardNavigationIndicators Data Type: REG_DWORD
(DWORD Value) Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = enable restriction) Create a
new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
'NoChangeKeyboardNavigationIndicators' and edit the value according to the
settings above.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the
change to take effect.

This is something that could be configured using Thomas Braun's registry
class or during application installation..