Alaska Software Inc. - Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
Scott KriseXbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 14:49:02 -0400
Hello,

So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote session.
It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just have the
printers available that are installed on your server session.

This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Scott
Jonathan LeemingRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Thu, 12 Sep 2019 20:49:31 -0600
On 9/12/2019 12:49 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
> correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
> remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote
> session. It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just
> have the printers available that are installed on your server session.
>
> This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm using Win 10 with RDP connection to Win 2012 server and the virtual
pc is based upon Win 7 so definitely different but I have no problems...
however, I have had issues with Windows 10 when the "Printers &
Scanners" settings have "Let Windows manage my default printer" checked.
  Might this be the issue???

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Jonathan LeemingRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:04:06 -0600
On 9/12/2019 8:49 PM, Jonathan Leeming wrote:
> On 9/12/2019 12:49 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting
>> the correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is
>> selected in remote desktop to make the local printers available to the
>> remote session. It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and
>> you just have the printers available that are installed on your server
>> session.
>>
>> This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Hi Scott,
>
> I'm using Win 10 with RDP connection to Win 2012 server and the virtual
> pc is based upon Win 7 so definitely different but I have no problems...
> however, I have had issues with Windows 10 when the "Printers &
> Scanners" settings have "Let Windows manage my default printer" checked.
>   Might this be the issue???
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Hi Again Scott,

I just did a quick test with a remote session having my computer's
windows set to "Let Windows manage my default printer".  All appeared to
work as it should when I ran my Xbase++ 2.0 application remotely...
So... Throw my speculative guess from the last posting "Out The Window!!!"

Sorry... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Scott KriseRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 09:10:09 -0400
Thanks for the help Jonathan,

I don’t have the problem at any of my other customer locations...just this
one...using 2016 Server. Ill keep trying and post anything I find.

"Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message

On 9/12/2019 8:49 PM, Jonathan Leeming wrote:
> On 9/12/2019 12:49 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
>> correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
>> remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote
>> session. It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just
>> have the printers available that are installed on your server session.
>>
>> This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Hi Scott,
>
> I'm using Win 10 with RDP connection to Win 2012 server and the virtual pc
> is based upon Win 7 so definitely different but I have no problems...
> however, I have had issues with Windows 10 when the "Printers & Scanners"
> settings have "Let Windows manage my default printer" checked. Might this
> be the issue???
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Hi Again Scott,

I just did a quick test with a remote session having my computer's
windows set to "Let Windows manage my default printer".  All appeared to
work as it should when I ran my Xbase++ 2.0 application remotely...
So... Throw my speculative guess from the last posting "Out The Window!!!"

Sorry... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Scott KriseRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Mon, 16 Sep 2019 10:23:59 -0400
Apologies. The server we are connecting to is running Windows Server 2019
Standard, not 2016 as I said below.

"Scott Krise"  wrote in message

Hello,

So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote session.
It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just have the
printers available that are installed on your server session.

This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Scott
Jonathan LeemingRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:50:35 -0600
On 9/16/2019 8:23 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Apologies. The server we are connecting to is running Windows Server
> 2019 Standard, not 2016 as I said below.
>
> "Scott Krise"  wrote in message
>
> Hello,
>
> So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
> correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
> remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote session.
> It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just have the
> printers available that are installed on your server session.
>
> This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

At some point in the near future we will be looking into replacing our
WinServer running 2012 with the a new server running 2019.  I was
chatting with another Xbase++ developer (using Xbase++ 1.9) and asked if
he has had any problems with printing via remote desktop to a Win 2019
server and he assured me that he does not experience any issues in this
regard.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Scott KriseRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Tue, 24 Sep 2019 14:05:52 -0400
Well, I am definitely having the problem here and it is consistently
reproducible....and the good news is that I have found a work around!

So here are all the details:

I am using Alaska 2.00.972
I use Topdown Version 9.1 for all my printing. I'm using the function
tdGetPrn to determine the default printer, which in turn refers to the
:devName instance variable from the the XbpPrinter class.
I am using RDP to connect to a 2019 Windows Server (Problem did not exist on
prior server with I think was a 2003 Server)
When Connecting, we typically set up RDP so that the user can print back
their local printer by selecting PRINTERS under local resources in RDP.

PROBLEM

When printing within my APP, the default printer does not always match the
default printer for the RDP session, however if you print from any other
windows app on RDP, it DOES default to the correct printer.  The user is
required to manually change to the printer they want, then it will print to
their default printer, but they have to re-select it each time then enter
the software. In my particular case, I determine the default printer
immediately upon login, and keep it as the default for all reports until
they leave the app and come back in.

SOLUTION

After much trial and error, I found that when the user logs in to RDP while
sharing their local printers as a resource, the system will grab the
incorrect default printer. It will not select the "redirected default
printer" that shows up if you go into look in control panel - devices and
printers....its actually selecting the default printer if you enter RDP
WITHOUT SHARING the local printers as resources.

So an example:

I log into RDP WITHOUT sharing the local printers and set my default printer
to PRINTER 1.
I then exit RDP, share my local printers via RDP...and on my local system
PRINTER 2 is my default.
When I log in while sharing my printer, go into my app, PRINTER 1 shows up
as my default printer.

WORKAROUND 1 (If you want to continue to share the local printers via RDP)

1)    Share the local printer on each users computer.
2)    Log into RDP with the option to share local resources - printers
UNSELECTED.
3)    Install the users shared printer in the RDP session.
4)    Log out of RDP, this time share the local resource - printers.
5)    Log back into RDP and now it selects the correct default printer.

WORKAROUND 2

1)    Share the local printer on each users computer.
2)    Log into RDP with the option to share local resources - printers
UNSELECTED.
3)    Install the users shared printer in the RDP session.
4)    Continue to use RDP using local resources - printers UNSELECTED.

Hope Alaska puts out a more permanent fix for this.

On 9/16/2019 8:23 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Apologies. The server we are connecting to is running Windows Server 2019
> Standard, not 2016 as I said below.
>
> "Scott Krise"  wrote in message
>
> Hello,
>
> So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
> correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
> remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote session.
> It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just have the
> printers available that are installed on your server session.
>
> This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.
>
> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

At some point in the near future we will be looking into replacing our
WinServer running 2012 with the a new server running 2019.  I was
chatting with another Xbase++ developer (using Xbase++ 1.9) and asked if
he has had any problems with printing via remote desktop to a Win 2019
server and he assured me that he does not experience any issues in this
regard.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
James LoughnerRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Fri, 27 Sep 2019 11:02:09 -0400
Think this is the nature of some remote connection software I see the
same using logmein while teamviewer works right. Don't think Alaska can
fix this.

Jim

On 9/24/19 2:05 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
> [...]
>> correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
>> remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote
>> session.
>> It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just have the
>> printers available that are installed on your server session.
>>
>> This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>>
>> Scott
>>
> Hi Scott,
>
> At some point in the near future we will be looking into replacing our
> WinServer running 2012 with the a new server running 2019.  I was
> chatting with another Xbase++ developer (using Xbase++ 1.9) and asked if
> he has had any problems with printing via remote desktop to a Win 2019
> server and he assured me that he does not experience any issues in this

Jorge L. BorlandoRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:54:54 -0300
Hi
try setup your windows server secpol.msc
in...  ( sory, I translate my spanish key's )

computer configuration
administrative templates
windows components
remote desktop services
host session
redirection print
do not alow client print redirection = enable

and

user configuration
administrative templates
windows components
remote desktop services
printer redirection
redirect only the client default printer = enable

"Scott Krise"  escribió en el mensaje de
noticias:3baefa2a$53c6fae6$19191@news.alaska-software.com...

Hello,

So I have duplicated a situation where my xbase app isn't selecting the
correct default printer in remote desktop when the option is selected in
remote desktop to make the local printers available to the remote session.
It seems to be ok when that option is not selected and you just have the
printers available that are installed on your server session.

This is a 2016 server we are connecting to.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Scott
Itai Ben-ArtziRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Fri, 27 Sep 2019 11:55:40 -0700
Scott,
With the release of server-2012 and up (2016, 2019), Microsoft changed
the location of terminal-server default printer from:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server
Client\DefaultPrinter"
to:
“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\SessionDefaultDevices\<session>\Device".

This change affects xBase++, Crystal Reports, and all software that
did not adapt.  Microsoft initially acknowledged this bug and promised
to fix it, but later classified it as a “feature” that we must accept.

If you move terminal-service from 2003 or 2008 to a newer release, you
must implement a custom fix for the default printer.  Beware that
terminal-server with local Win-10 Home addition is not working the
same as Win-10 Professional.  Try to convince all of your clients to
upgrade their Home edition to Pro.

-Itai
Itai Ben-ArtziRe: Xbase App Not Selecting Correct Printer In Remote Desktop
on Fri, 27 Sep 2019 12:20:45 -0700
Scott,
With the release of server-2012 and up (2016, 2019), Microsoft changed
the location of terminal-server default printer from:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server
Client\DefaultPrinter"

to:
“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\SessionDefaultDevices\<session>\Device".

This change affects xBase++, Crystal Reports, and all software that
did not adapt.  Microsoft initially acknowledged this bug and promised
to fix it, but later classified it as a “feature” that we must accept.

If you move terminal-service from 2003 or 2008 to a newer release, you
must implement a custom fix for the default printer.  Be aware that