Alaska Software Inc. - Help needed:Error creating index
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Help needed:Error creating index
Raffaele LafrattaHelp needed:Error creating index
on Thu, 01 Oct 2020 15:55:27 +0200
Hi all

Suddenly my app can't recreate indexes of any dbf anymore ( after years
without problems )

This is my log..
Anyone can help me ?

Thanks in advance
Raffaele

Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 2.00.972
Operating system    : Windows Server 2003 05.02 Build 03790 Service
Pack 2
oError:args         :
          -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: H:\BG\Xlogico\DATI\XBFILE
          -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: TAG01
          -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)
          -> VALTYPE: B VALUE: {||B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)}
          -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
          -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .F.
oError:canDefault   : Y
oError:canRetry     : Y
oError:canSubstitute: N
oError:cargo        : NIL
oError:description  :
oError:filename     :
oError:genCode      :       9008
oError:operation    : OrdCreate
oError:osCode       :          0
oError:severity     :          2
oError:subCode      :       8999
oError:subSystem    : BASE
oError:thread       :          1
oError:tries        :          1
Jonathan LeemingRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Thu, 01 Oct 2020 13:21:27 -0600
On 10/1/2020 7:55 AM, Raffaele Lafratta wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Suddenly my app can't recreate indexes of any dbf anymore ( after years
> without problems )
>
> This is my log..
> Anyone can help me ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Raffaele
>
> Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 2.00.972
> Operating system    : Windows Server 2003 05.02 Build 03790 Service Pack 2
>
> oError:args         :
>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: H:\BG\Xlogico\DATI\XBFILE
>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: TAG01
>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)
>           -> VALTYPE: B VALUE: {||B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)}
>           -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
>           -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .F.
> oError:canDefault   : Y
> oError:canRetry     : Y
> oError:canSubstitute: N
> oError:cargo        : NIL
> oError:description  :
> oError:filename     :
> oError:genCode      :       9008
> oError:operation    : OrdCreate
> oError:osCode       :          0
> oError:severity     :          2
> oError:subCode      :       8999
> oError:subSystem    : BASE
> oError:thread       :          1
> oError:tries        :          1

Hi,

I read in the German newsgroup https://www.xbaseforum.de (using Google
Translate) that some users had problems with certain anti-virus programs
(they named Kaspersky) preventing index creation.  Although I use
Kaspersky without index problems you might consider disabling the AV as
a test.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@familycentre.org
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Raffaele LafrattaRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Fri, 02 Oct 2020 08:48:23 +0200
Jonathan Leeming scriveva il 01/10/2020 :
> On 10/1/2020 7:55 AM, Raffaele Lafratta wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Suddenly my app can't recreate indexes of any dbf anymore ( after years
>> without problems )
>>
>> This is my log..
>> Anyone can help me ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Raffaele
>>
>> Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 2.00.972
>> Operating system    : Windows Server 2003 05.02 Build 03790 Service Pack 2
>>
>> oError:args         :
>>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: H:\BG\Xlogico\DATI\XBFILE
>>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: TAG01
>>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)
>>           -> VALTYPE: B VALUE: {||B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)}
>>           -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
>>           -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .F.
>> oError:canDefault   : Y
>> oError:canRetry     : Y
>> oError:canSubstitute: N
>> oError:cargo        : NIL
>> oError:description  :
>> oError:filename     :
>> oError:genCode      :       9008
>> oError:operation    : OrdCreate
>> oError:osCode       :          0
>> oError:severity     :          2
>> oError:subCode      :       8999
>> oError:subSystem    : BASE
>> oError:thread       :          1
>> oError:tries        :          1
>
> Hi,
>
> I read in the German newsgroup https://www.xbaseforum.de (using Google
> Translate) that some users had problems with certain anti-virus programs
> (they named Kaspersky) preventing index creation.  Although I use Kaspersky
> without index problems you might consider disabling the AV as a test.
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan

Unfortunatly ther is no antivirus on that serevr

Regards
Raffaele
Jim LeeRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Fri, 02 Oct 2020 22:06:30 +0200
hi,

>>>  -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: H:\BG\Xlogico\DATI\XBFILE

you still using Drive Letter ...
Drive Letter use Lanmanager and SMB1 which default is DISABLE on Windows 10

since Vista it is recommend to use UNC-Path
\\Server\ShareFolderName\My.DBF
Jan EscholtRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Sat, 03 Oct 2020 07:35:07 +0200
Nonsens. I always use drive letters. No problem.

And I never read a recommendation from anybody not to use drive letters
but from you.

Jan

Am 02.10.2020 um 22:06 schrieb Jim Lee:
> hi,

> you still using Drive Letter ...
> Drive Letter use Lanmanager and SMB1 which default is DISABLE on Windows 10
>
> since Vista it is recommend to use UNC-Path
> \\Server\ShareFolderName\My.DBF

Jim LeeRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Sun, 04 Oct 2020 00:55:18 +0200
have you see Errorlog ?

Raffaele is using Windows Server 2003 which have only SMB1
People which still using SMB1 have a big Security Problem

as i say Windows 10 default DISABLE SMB1.
this can happend when not used 15 Days.
you might "see" Server or NAS but you cant access it.
Jan EscholtRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Sat, 03 Oct 2020 07:49:46 +0200
Raffaele,

unfortunately you don't show your code, what DBE you use, and other
information that could help us t help you.

What I can see from you log is that you use an older version of Xbase++
and a no longer supported server version. But both should be no problem.

Subcode 8999 is always bad for this says nothing. Very often I observe
that the cause of this problem is in another code row.

I can't find genCode 9008 in the lists. That could have helped to
isolate the error.

Maybe you should send some code and the log to Alaska and ask them for
some advise.

Jan

Am 01.10.2020 um 15:55 schrieb Raffaele Lafratta:
> Hi all
>
> Suddenly my app can't recreate indexes of any dbf anymore ( after years
> without problems )
>
> This is my log..
> Anyone can help me ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Raffaele
>
> Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 2.00.972
> Operating system    : Windows Server 2003 05.02 Build 03790 Service Pack 2
>
> oError:args         :
>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: H:\BG\Xlogico\DATI\XBFILE
>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: TAG01
>           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)
>           -> VALTYPE: B VALUE: {||B_ALIAS+STR(B_ORDINE,1)}
>           -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
>           -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .F.
> oError:canDefault   : Y
> oError:canRetry     : Y
> oError:canSubstitute: N
> oError:cargo        : NIL
> oError:description  :
> oError:filename     :
> oError:genCode      :       9008
> oError:operation    : OrdCreate
> oError:osCode       :          0
> oError:severity     :          2
> oError:subCode      :       8999
> oError:subSystem    : BASE
> oError:thread       :          1
> oError:tries        :          1
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Help needed:Error creating index
on Mon, 05 Oct 2020 10:50:44 -0400
Raffaele,

>Suddenly my app can't recreate indexes of any dbf anymore ( after years
>without problems )

I don't know if this helps, but in my experience, this is a workstation
configuration-specific problem. During the years, I have had 86 of these
errors reported by my applications, mostly in 2010/2011 (with Xbase++
1.9.355) with 2 each earlier in 2007 and 2008 (with Xbase++ 1.9.331).

All happened with databases on mapped network drives, most on Windows XP,
with a few on Windows 7 and one on Windows 2000. But at each site, only a
few workstation experienced those errors, while all others worked perfectly
fine. In total, at the 7 affected clients, 10 individual workstations were
affected. About half of those were repeat-offenders, with the other half
having only a single occurrence. That is from a total of about 180 sites
with between 1 and 20 workstations over a time frame of about two decades.

The issue only appeared on sites with many (10+) workstations and hasn't
occurred since. All I can say that it seemed to be caused by individual
workstations unable to create a CDX index file in the network. It happened
so seldom and (basically) fixed itself, that I was never able to find the
actual culprit.

It could be caused by network, anti-virus, access-rights or even hardware
issues. Updating to a newer version of Xbase++ and installing all OS patches
might help. If it is a recurring or even repeatable issue, you might be able
to get help from Alaska, but I doubt it.

Nobody even knows what this error means and what potentially can cause it,
probably not even the guys at Alaska.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but if you find out anything, please post
your solutions or insights here.

Thanks,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[L]:   https://www.LinkedIn.com/in/AndreasGehrsPahl
[F]:   https://www.FaceBook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Anand GuptaRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:49:44 +0200
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote in message news:djsct01mpe8v.1xqtw4mjs3ukk.dlg@40tude.net...

>Nobody even knows what this error means and what potentially can cause it,
>probably not even the guys at Alaska.

At least Alaska XBase++ guys know from their codes when they are setting :genCode as 9008.

From that code they can give explanation and we can fix that.

Regards,

Anand
Raffaele LafrattaRe: Help needed:Error creating index
on Thu, 08 Oct 2020 16:09:09 +0200
I'm sorry for the delay ...

I solved the problem restoring s.o backup of day before and problem
disappeared altough there were any update to server 2003 and updating
was disabled

Anyway thanks to all again

Regards
Raffaele

Scriveva Raffaele Lafratta giovedì, 01/10/2020: