Alaska Software Inc. - Error 273 in debugging
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Error 273 in debugging
Jan GroenesteinError 273 in debugging
on Sun, 29 Apr 2018 13:51:33 +0200
Gentlemen,

When I start the debugger I get an error :
"Error creating debuggee process
Error code 273"

The strange thing is that this happens with a number of .EXE's, while
other .EXE's do not show this behaviour.
The executable that is to be debugged starts (without debugger) with no
problem.

I use Xbase++ version 1.9 (still, but we're working on it) on a Windows
10 machine.

Does anyone know this problem ? And solution ?

Regards,
Jan Groenestein
Joao GrenhasRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Thu, 03 May 2018 10:52:28 +0100
Às 12:51 de 29/04/2018, Jan Groenestein escreveu:
> Gentlemen,
>
> When I start the debugger I get an error :
> "Error creating debuggee process
> Error code 273"
>
> The strange thing is that this happens with a number of .EXE's, while
> other .EXE's do not show this behaviour.
> The executable that is to be debugged starts (without debugger) with no
> problem.
>
> I use Xbase++ version 1.9 (still, but we're working on it) on a Windows
> 10 machine.
>
> Does anyone know this problem ? And solution ?
>
> Regards,
> Jan Groenestein

Hello,
yes, fix it adding "stuff" to the arc files.

Ex.:
ICON
   APPICON = "App.ico"  <-- normal app icon
   APPICON2 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff"
   APPICON3 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff" sometimes needed also
Jan GroenesteinRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Fri, 18 May 2018 16:06:53 +0200
Hi Joao,

Thanks for the reply. However, your suggestion is not clear to me.
We use a quite large .ARC file, containing hundreds of icon- and bitmap
definitions. Are you saying that I should add an alternative for every
definition ?
Can you explain further ?

Kind regards,
Jan Groenestein

Op 3-5-2018 om 11:52 schreef Joao Grenhas:
> Às 12:51 de 29/04/2018, Jan Groenestein escreveu:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> When I start the debugger I get an error :
>> "Error creating debuggee process
>> Error code 273"
>>
>> The strange thing is that this happens with a number of .EXE's, while
>> other .EXE's do not show this behaviour.
>> The executable that is to be debugged starts (without debugger) with
>> no problem.
>>
>> I use Xbase++ version 1.9 (still, but we're working on it) on a
>> Windows 10 machine.
>>
>> Does anyone know this problem ? And solution ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jan Groenestein
>>

> Hello,
> yes, fix it adding "stuff" to the arc files.
>
> Ex.:
> ICON
>    APPICON = "App.ico"  <-- normal app icon
>    APPICON2 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff"
>    APPICON3 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff" sometimes needed also
Joao GrenhasRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Fri, 18 May 2018 17:06:49 +0100
Hi Jan,
No. You just need to change a little bit the arc file. Add only one new
icon or bitmap definition.

A possible explanation is:
The content of the arc file is written to the executable.
This is a bug when it occupies some certain space. When you change the
arc file, this space in the executable is changed and that do the trick.
It works for me.

Best Regards,

Às 15:06 de 18/05/2018, Jan Groenestein escreveu:
> Hi Joao,
>
> Thanks for the reply. However, your suggestion is not clear to me.
> We use a quite large .ARC file, containing hundreds of icon- and bitmap
> definitions. Are you saying that I should add an alternative for every
> definition ?
> Can you explain further ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jan Groenestein
>
> Op 3-5-2018 om 11:52 schreef Joao Grenhas:
>> Às 12:51 de 29/04/2018, Jan Groenestein escreveu:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> When I start the debugger I get an error :
>>> "Error creating debuggee process
>>> Error code 273"
>>>
>>> The strange thing is that this happens with a number of .EXE's, while
>>> other .EXE's do not show this behaviour.
>>> The executable that is to be debugged starts (without debugger) with
>>> no problem.
>>>
>>> I use Xbase++ version 1.9 (still, but we're working on it) on a
>>> Windows 10 machine.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know this problem ? And solution ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jan Groenestein
>>>

>> Hello,
>> yes, fix it adding "stuff" to the arc files.
>>
>> Ex.:
>> ICON
>>    APPICON = "App.ico"  <-- normal app icon
>>    APPICON2 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff"
>>    APPICON3 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff" sometimes needed also

Jan GroenesteinRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Sun, 20 May 2018 22:38:22 +0200
Hi Joao,

Thank you for the explanation. I tried this, but unfortunately it does
not work for me.
Do you, or anyone else, have another suggestion ?

Kind regards,
Jan Groenestein

Op 18-5-2018 om 18:06 schreef Joao Grenhas:
> Hi Jan,
> No. You just need to change a little bit the arc file. Add only one new
> icon or bitmap definition.
>
> A possible explanation is:
> The content of the arc file is written to the executable.
> This is a bug when it occupies some certain space. When you change the
> arc file, this space in the executable is changed and that do the trick.
> It works for me.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Às 15:06 de 18/05/2018, Jan Groenestein escreveu:
>> Hi Joao,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. However, your suggestion is not clear to me.
>> We use a quite large .ARC file, containing hundreds of icon- and
>> bitmap definitions. Are you saying that I should add an alternative
>> for every definition ?
>> Can you explain further ?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Jan Groenestein

>>> Hello,
>>> yes, fix it adding "stuff" to the arc files.
>>>
>>> Ex.:
>>> ICON
>>>    APPICON = "App.ico"  <-- normal app icon
>>>    APPICON2 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff"
>>>    APPICON3 = "App.ico"  <-- "stuff" sometimes needed also

Jim LeeRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Mon, 21 May 2018 03:52:10 +0200
what do you use as Anti-Virus ?
have you disable Working Directory ?

did you talk about XppDbg.exe or VX20.EXE ?

is EXE (very) Big or (very) small ?
Jan GroenesteinRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Tue, 22 May 2018 08:53:28 +0200
Hi Jim,

  - I use AVG for anti virus
  - I did not disable Working Directory
  - I'm talking about XppDbg.exe  We are working on using Xbase 2.0, but
are not there yet.
  - The size of the .Exe is some 10 MB, but there are many DLL's

I don't think it has anything to do with the machine or OS, because for
most programs XppDbg does work properly, only some programs produce the
message :
"Error creating debuggee process
Error code 273"
Does anyone know what "Error code 273" means ? I have not been able to
find this.

Kind regards,
Jan Groenestein

Op 21-5-2018 om 03:52 schreef Jim Lee:
> what do you use as Anti-Virus ?
> have you disable Working Directory ?
>
> did you talk about XppDbg.exe or VX20.EXE ?
>
> is EXE (very) Big or (very) small ?

Jim LeeRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Tue, 22 May 2018 17:10:06 +0200
hi,

>  - I use AVG for anti virus
>  - I did not disable Working Directory

i recommend to disable Working Directory !

> "Error creating debuggee process
> Error code 273"

can you please post full Errorlog so we can see Xbase++ Module Codes

you can use VX20.EXE or WXB.EXE as Debugger only

VX20.EXE MyApp.EXE
ErikL Re: Error 273 in debugging
on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 08:58:04 +0200
Op 29-4-2018 om 13:51 schreef Jan Groenestein:
> Gentlemen,
>
> When I start the debugger I get an error :
> "Error creating debuggee process
> Error code 273"
>
> The strange thing is that this happens with a number of .EXE's, while
> other .EXE's do not show this behaviour.
> The executable that is to be debugged starts (without debugger) with no
> problem.
>
> I use Xbase++ version 1.9 (still, but we're working on it) on a Windows
> 10 machine.
>
> Does anyone know this problem ? And solution ?
>
> Regards,
> Jan Groenestein

In addition to this message:
On a windows 10 (prof.) computer with userprofile only xbase 2.0 I get
the same error. Exe starts just fine.
When i use debugger from IDE I get the same error see attachment for
screenshot IDE. What does it mean that it failed to load the client?

Regards,
Erik Leeuwerink

debugIDE.jpg
Jorge L. BorlandoRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 08:48:10 -0300
Hi Jan
I just had this problem when I try to call an InstallODBC executable, the
solution: I changed the name to InstSQL

best regards

"Jan Groenestein" wrote in message
> Gentlemen,
>
> When I start the debugger I get an error :
> "Error creating debuggee process
> Error code 273"
>
> The strange thing is that this happens with a number of .EXE's, while
> other .EXE's do not show this behaviour.
> The executable that is to be debugged starts (without debugger) with no
> problem.
>
> I use Xbase++ version 1.9 (still, but we're working on it) on a Windows 10
> machine.
>
> Does anyone know this problem ? And solution ?
>
> Regards,
> Jan Groenestein

Jan GroenesteinRe: Error 273 in debugging
on Mon, 18 Jun 2018 23:35:13 +0200
Dear collegues,

Problem solved (at least here). I tried executing the debugger 'as
administrator', and then the debugger DID work without a problem !
It is still a weird problem, but for me it is solved.

Kind regards,
Jan Groenestein