Alaska Software Inc. - Web UI - HTML in the exe ...
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Web UI - HTML in the exe ...
Hubert BrandelWeb UI - HTML in the exe ...
on Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:12:50 +0200
Hi,

I am looking for samples for the new WEB UI in the exe file ...

I got the PDF from my Alaska download area, but can't find any examples
in the documents tree samples ...
I don't want to use <CXP> for a web page, just a HTML layout for my
normal EXE.

I found code from the devcon in Isernhagen, but this code needs a
missing dll:

#pragma library( "cxplocal10.lib" )

I can't compile that, "file not found ..."

Does someone have easy examples how this works ?

Gruß
Hubert
Hubert BrandelRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ...
on Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:24:58 +0200
> #pragma library( "cxplocal10.lib" )
>
> I can't compile that, "file not found ..."

use this:

#pragma library( "xppwui.LIB" )
Jacob JohnRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ...
on Mon, 07 Sep 2015 15:33:58 +0530
Hi,

I also got the PDF file "Using the Web UI in Xbase++ Desktop
Applications". But could not move ahead much.

Anybody can give a working sample of Combobox example with HTML and
CSS ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Kiron

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:24:58 +0200, Hubert Brandel wrote:

>> #pragma library( "cxplocal10.lib" )
>>
>> I can't compile that, "file not found ..."
>>

>use this:
>
>#pragma library( "xppwui.LIB" )
Jacob JohnRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ...
on Tue, 03 May 2016 13:54:52 +0530
Hello,

Anybody can give a working sample of WebUI ?

Regards
Kiron
>Hi,
>
>I also got the PDF file "Using the Web UI in Xbase++ Desktop
>Applications". But could not move ahead much.
>
>Anybody can give a working sample of Combobox example with HTML and
>CSS ?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>Regards
>Kiron
>

>On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:24:58 +0200, Hubert Brandel wrote:
>
>>> #pragma library( "cxplocal10.lib" )
>>>
>>> I can't compile that, "file not found ..."
>>>

>>use this:
>>
>>#pragma library( "xppwui.LIB" )
Jacob JohnRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Tue, 03 May 2016 16:52:05 +0530
On Tue, 03 May 2016 13:54:52 +0530, Jacob John wrote:
Hi,

Please find the sample attached. It is not working as expected. Also I
want to display an image with the items in the combobox.

Regards
Kiron
>Hello,
>
>Anybody can give a working sample of WebUI ?
>
>Regards
>Kiron
>>Hi,
>>
>>I also got the PDF file "Using the Web UI in Xbase++ Desktop
>>Applications". But could not move ahead much.
>>
>>Anybody can give a working sample of Combobox example with HTML and
>>CSS ?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>

>>Regards
>>Kiron

>>>use this:
>>>
>>>#pragma library( "xppwui.LIB" )
Jacob JohnRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Fri, 06 May 2016 13:42:15 +0530
Any help ?

On Tue, 03 May 2016 16:52:05 +0530, Jacob John wrote:

>On Tue, 03 May 2016 13:54:52 +0530, Jacob John wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Please find the sample attached. It is not working as expected. Also I
>want to display an image with the items in the combobox.
>
>Regards
>Kiron
>>Hello,
>>
>>Anybody can give a working sample of WebUI ?
>>
>>Regards
>>Kiron
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I also got the PDF file "Using the Web UI in Xbase++ Desktop
>>>Applications". But could not move ahead much.
>>>
>>>Anybody can give a working sample of Combobox example with HTML and
>>>CSS ?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>>Regards
>>>Kiron

Boris BorzicRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Fri, 06 May 2016 14:44:54 +0200
Instead of struggling with non-standard technology, why not just create a
real WebUI using industry standards (html, css, js) running in a standard
web browser. It's easier than you think and it's exactly what we have
done. Here is a small video showing one of our applications developed
this way. The video quality is not so good, but the web UI can be seen
around the 42 sec mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3jgtsxW1OA

Essentially, the Xbase++ application runs as a windows service with no
UI. It uses the Xb2.NET library to make the Xbase++ application a web
server. A standard web browser is used as the user interface.

Doing it this way gives you a few key advantages over the traditional
windows application allowing you to leapfrog technologies, including:

* your one application becomes scalable. It can be used by one user or
many. In order to do that with a desktop app, you would need to use
windows terminal services.

* the application can be used inside your network or it can be exposed to
the internet as a web server.

* you can easily support mobile clients and different operating systems
because web browsers are ubiquitous and supported on all modern
platforms. How do you do that with a Windows desktop app?

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools

Jacob John wrote in news:qdkoibdnvkg83a2rh6nfu0jqcj252uapt6@4ax.com:

> Any help ?
>

> On Tue, 03 May 2016 16:52:05 +0530, Jacob John wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 May 2016 13:54:52 +0530, Jacob John wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Please find the sample attached. It is not working as expected. Also I
>>want to display an image with the items in the combobox.
>>
>>Regards
>>Kiron
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Anybody can give a working sample of WebUI ?
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Kiron

Peter AlderliestenRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Mon, 09 May 2016 11:31:07 +0200
Boris,

> Instead of struggling with non-standard technology, why not just create a
> real WebUI using industry standards (html, css, js) running in a standard
> web browser.

I think you're missing the point of the WebUI.
Xbase++ offers you the possibility of creating an application skin using
industry standards (html, css), which I think has it's place and could be
very useful. It's cerntainly something I am going to check out.

Peter
Boris BorzicRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Mon, 09 May 2016 16:36:58 +0200
Peter Alderliesten wrote in

>> Instead of struggling with non-standard technology, why not just
>> create a real WebUI using industry standards (html, css, js) running
>> in a standard web browser.
>
> I think you're missing the point of the WebUI.
> Xbase++ offers you the possibility of creating an application skin
> using industry standards (html, css), which I think has it's place and
> could be very useful. It's cerntainly something I am going to check
> out.

I definitely do understand, however I also remember how much time I wasted
many years ago trying to get the XbpHTMLViewer to work properly before
finally giving up and converting everything to use the standard web browser
(IE, Chrome, FireFox,...). The ordeal almost cost me a large client because
the XbpHTMLViewer solution was just not reliable. I certainly would not
wish to repeat that ordeal any time soon.

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Thomas BraunRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Mon, 09 May 2016 17:13:47 +0200
Peter Alderliesten wrote:

> I think you're missing the point of the WebUI.
> Xbase++ offers you the possibility of creating an application skin using
> industry standards (html, css),

Sounds to me a bit like re-inventing the wheel..

"creating an application skin using industry standards (html, css)" == Web
browser

Thomas
Peter AlderliestenRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Mon, 09 May 2016 17:39:19 +0200
Thomas,

>> I think you're missing the point of the WebUI.
>> Xbase++ offers you the possibility of creating an application skin using
>> industry standards (html, css),
>
> Sounds to me a bit like re-inventing the wheel..
>
> "creating an application skin using industry standards (html, css)" == Web
> browser

No, not quite.
There's a big difference between a web client and a Windows client in terms
of functionality and speed. Not to mention the interaction with the
application back-end.

Peter
Jim LeeRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Tue, 10 May 2016 01:28:06 +0200
hi,

Xbase++ v2.x can use HTMLayout*** Engine to render a XbPart
*** http://terrainformatica.com/htmlayout

HtmLayout is a "native" window class implementation and is distributed in
binary form as native Windows DLL (dynamic load library). Just pure API
calls, like in any other native Windows common controls. HtmLayout uses
WM_NOTIFY mechanism for interacting with the host window.
Boris BorzicRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Tue, 10 May 2016 23:01:40 +0200
Jim Lee wrote in news:496c5b89$41f0cc3b$202bdf@news.alaska-software.com:

> Xbase++ v2.x can use HTMLayout*** Engine to render a XbPart
> *** http://terrainformatica.com/htmlayout

The first thing I see by going to that page is:

"HTMLayout is not supported anymore, please use Sciter instead."

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Jim LeeRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (0/1)
on Wed, 11 May 2016 04:10:24 +0200
> The first thing I see by going to that page is:
>
> "HTMLayout is not supported anymore, please use Sciter instead."

did you real think Alaska use a new technique ...
Jacob JohnRe: Web UI - HTML in the exe ... - WebUI.PRG (1/1)
on Tue, 03 May 2016 16:52:06 +0530