Alaska Software Inc. - A very serious problem which should be reported to xbase++ authors
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: A very serious problem which should be reported to xbase++ authors
MassimoA very serious problem which should be reported to xbase++ authors
on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 10:34:05 +0100
I post from a messages on harbour ng posted by Przemek
here you can follow tread
http://n2.nabble.com/XBASE%2B%2B-speedtst-td2545191.html
here you download spedtst.prg
http://harbour-project.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/harbour-project/trunk/harbour/tests/speedtst.prg?view=markup

Looks that xbase++ is not MT safe in some basic tests.
I have information that in randomly GPFs in T023 or T044 on
different computers. You can try to exploit it by:
  speedtst --thread=2 --scale --only=023,044
Please try to repeat above tests few time on different machines.
It's also possible that the problem is not exactly in this tests
but somewhere else anyhow definitely there is sth wrong.

It's a very serious problem which should be reported to xbase++ authors.
I wanted to test the automatic item write protection in xbase++
in some unpleasure to protect situations but looks that it fails
internally in places which should not cause any problems so any
more advanced tests with this language does not make sense until
basic MT functionality will not be fixed.

It also causes that it's hard to say something about xbase++ MT
solutions. I do not know xbase++ code and I can only guess some
things using information from tests and some necessary and enough
conditions which have to be passed to make MT programs safe.
But when xabse++ crashes like above then it means that some fundamental
conditions I'm using are false.

I think that xbase++ users should report this problem to some
xbase++ support list with speedtst code as example.

best regards,
Przemek
Hubert Brandel Re: A very serious problem which should be reported to xbase++ authors
on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:18:25 +0100
Hi,

this is the wrong newsgroup -> p.x.bugreport -> NO ERRORs in our tests.

Bye
Hubert
Jack DuijfRe: A very serious problem which should be reported to xbase++ authors
on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:22:00 +0200
Hello

Thank you for pointing out a possible problem.
I am happy to report i can not reproduce the problem.
Have tested with 1.90-331 on a Windows Vista desktop and on a laptop.

Regards,
Jack Duijf

P.s. on line 197 i added a Wait. Now i can see if the programm is finished.