Alaska Software Inc. - Anyone using Postgre with quasi ISAM interface with complete success?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Anyone using Postgre with quasi ISAM interface with complete success?
Chris ChambersAnyone using Postgre with quasi ISAM interface with complete success?
on Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:02:28 -0700
Hi Folks,

I am still sitting on the fence, waiting for some encouragement to move
from Version 1.9 to Version 2.0. I have tried the evaluation and I
cannot see any benefit yet to switch. I am a heavy user of ADS and I am
still using  the DBF table format without any problems. The quasi SQL
works extremely well and provides all the requirements that we have. I
can not even get the quasi ISAM in Postgresql to come even close in
performance in Version 2.0.

We tried all the dbfupsizing and  found the overall performance to be
horrendously slow, no matter what, or how the indexes were created.

Frank at Alaska could not tell me why I should switch, maybe someone out
there
can convince me it would be a good idea to  do so.

I am open to ideas, Postgresql is a fine database system, I think it
gets a bad rap with xbase++ 2.0.

Love to hear from you.

Regards to all

Chris C.
Chris Carmac Re: Anyone using Postgre with quasi ISAM interface with complete success?
on Wed, 22 Jun 2022 09:31:30 -0400
On 6/17/2022 6:02 PM, Chris Chambers wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am still sitting on the fence, waiting for some encouragement to move
> from Version 1.9 to Version 2.0. I have tried the evaluation and I
> cannot see any benefit yet to switch. I am a heavy user of ADS and I am
> still using  the DBF table format without any problems. The quasi SQL
> works extremely well and provides all the requirements that we have. I
> can not even get the quasi ISAM in Postgresql to come even close in
> performance in Version 2.0.
>
> We tried all the dbfupsizing and  found the overall performance to be
> horrendously slow, no matter what, or how the indexes were created.
>
> Frank at Alaska could not tell me why I should switch, maybe someone out
> there
> can convince me it would be a good idea to  do so.
>
> I am open to ideas, Postgresql is a fine database system, I think it
> gets a bad rap with xbase++ 2.0.
>
> Love to hear from you.
>
> Regards to all
>
> Chris C.

Chris,

I think there are two main reasons to look into using Postgresql...

1. The future of ADS is uncertain.  SAP is still committed to supporting
it, for the time being, but they do not seem to be interested in adding
new features or benefits to it.  Development has pretty much stalled.

2. You have to purchase ADS licenses, and pass that expense along to
your customers.  Postgresql is open source, and free, so switching to
Postgresql could potentially generate more profits, or enable lower/more
competitive pricing, if you pass the savings along.

That being said, I don't have a lot of hope for the PGDBE.  I've been
experimenting with it since 2017.  At one point, Alaska Software had my
application installed on one of their test servers, so they could
experiment directly with it. They were never able to get it to work at a
production level. It was too slow, and some screens just didn't work at
all.

If a developer were building a new Xbase++ application from scratch, I
think they could use the PGDBE to create an application that would
perform at a production level.  You would have to abandon ISAM type code
altogether, and use SQL queries throughout.  However, if you have an
application like mine, built over 20+ years with hundreds of thousands
of lines of code using ISAM navigation, I don't think it will ever work
as intended. That's not entirely surprising, given the tremendous
differences between ISAM and SQL database architectures.

The only way I can envision effectively migrating from ADS to Postgresql
is to convert all ISAM code to SQL queries with ADS and the switch over
to Postgresql. For me, that would basically entail rewriting my entire
application, which took me over 20 years to build, and is being added to
every day.  I'm not sure that is realistically possible.  I would love
to wrong about that.

Chris Carmac
David Mackenzie Re: Anyone using Postgre with quasi ISAM interface with complete success?
on Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:10:35 +0100
Hello Chris and Chris,

the history is a bit complicated but yes, I can report a success.
I'm very rarely in this newsgroup - I live and work in Germany, so I'm
mostly active in the German XBase++ User Forum, e.g. for Postgres:
https://www.xbaseforum.de/viewforum.php?f=114
Although most of the content is in German, you might still find it worth
a look.

Back to your question: I agree with Chris Carmac regarding the main
advantages of Postgres. I would also add:
3. The availability of tools such as pgAdmin4 for database
administration, backups and ad-hoc queries. I also found dbForge Data
Compare a brilliant tool for comparing whole databases ("What changed
since yesterday?").
4. The potential for interoperation with other systems based upon other
software technologies - at least for read-only access, but also see
Alaska's new "ILX" forum, e.g.
https://ilx.alaska-software.com/index.php?ams/structure-schema-data-manipulaton-of-isam-emulated-tables-with-native-sql.81/

In my case the application is the internal ERP system (two overlapping
programs for financial and material management) of the electronic
engineering firm for which I work (with about 30 employees). According
to cloc it has about 32k lines of code (after being recently thinned-out
to remove most conditional compilations). We have over 50 ISAM tables;
the total data volume is not extremely large (a DB dump is about 60 MB)
- the complexity lies more in the connections between them as
implemented in the code. It has been developed over the past 30 years; I
have been responsible for about the last 15 years. Originally in
Clipper, ported to Xbase++ and ADS in 2007-2009, still in text-mode.

The live system is running with Postgres since May 2021. In the first
year (until May 2022) I did have quite a lot of stress mainly due to
bugs in PGDBE which have now been fixed - Alaska has done a lot of work
in this area and vastly improved it over the last couple of years.
Alaska Support were a great help. I would now regard PGDBE as being
quite robust and the performance as good.

The one area with which I sometimes still have problems is regarding the
limited support for filters. The users are mostly engineers, and used to
having an extremely flexible filter function where they can enter Xbase
expressions. I get around this by "compiling" the most commonly used
syntax to SQL WHERE clauses and using a relation via __record to the
original workarea, but my code for this is not comparable to a
professional compiler construction. "Just for fun", the code is here:

https://www.xbaseforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=11562&sid=1c281e46f2415c4fa47f0bcea1fa6377
However, our system is probably untypical in this regard - for most
applications this is probably unnecessary, it does cause problems, and
the filter restrictions in concrete cases can be avoided much more easily.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
David Mackenzie

Leipzig, Germany