Alaska Software Inc. - SLOOOOOOOW debugger
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
Jan Groenestein SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 09:21:03 +0100
Gentlemen,

I run Xbase++ 1.9 on a relatively new computer, OS Windows 7, with an
SSD drive. All programs run very fast, but the Xbase debugger is very,
very, very, very slow.
This problem has been posted in another thread earlier but has never
been solved. In the end I simply stopped using Xbase on that machine. I
need to solve this now. Is there anyone who recognises the problem ?

Kind regards,
Jan Groenestein
Damir HodakRe: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 10:47:38 +0100
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 09:21:03 +0100, Jan Groenestein wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> I run Xbase++ 1.9 on a relatively new computer, OS Windows 7, with an
> SSD drive. All programs run very fast, but the Xbase debugger is very,
> very, very, very slow.
> This problem has been posted in another thread earlier but has never
> been solved. In the end I simply stopped using Xbase on that machine. I
> need to solve this now. Is there anyone who recognises the problem ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jan Groenestein

Hi Jan!
I have the same problem. Everything had been worked fine and then, one day,
debugger slowed down. On the other computer debugger works fine. I also
posted message here on newsgroup, but never have solved the problem.
I'm still using v1.90.355 SL1 with HotFix RollUp 50.
Hope for any suggestion.
Regards,
Damir
Jonathan LeemingRe: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 07:57:57 -0700
Hi,

Have you tried temporarily disabling the anti-virus.  I use Kaspersky
and find that the debugger runs better when KAV is disabled.  Of
course I could also go through the AV settings and create exceptions
but for some reason these exceptions are not always retained or they
get reset back.

Regards... Jonathan
Jan Groenestein Re: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:03:13 +0100
Hi Jonathan,

Yesss, that was it. I earlier tried to solve the problem by stopping the
anti-virus but this changed nothing. Now I tried again and this time it
did work ! I have no idea what I did wrong the first time. Also, I added
the debugger to the exception list, and this also works well. We'll have
to see wether this is for keeps.

Thank you for this tip !

Kind regards,
Jan

Op 28-12-2015 om 15:57 schreef Jonathan Leeming:
> Hi,
>
> Have you tried temporarily disabling the anti-virus.  I use Kaspersky
> and find that the debugger runs better when KAV is disabled.  Of
> course I could also go through the AV settings and create exceptions
> but for some reason these exceptions are not always retained or they
> get reset back.
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Damir HodakRe: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 17:10:27 +0100
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:03:13 +0100, Jan Groenestein wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Yesss, that was it. I earlier tried to solve the problem by stopping the
> anti-virus but this changed nothing. Now I tried again and this time it
> did work ! I have no idea what I did wrong the first time. Also, I added
> the debugger to the exception list, and this also works well. We'll have
> to see wether this is for keeps.
>
> Thank you for this tip !
>
> Kind regards,
> Jan
>
> Op 28-12-2015 om 15:57 schreef Jonathan Leeming:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have you tried temporarily disabling the anti-virus.  I use Kaspersky
>> and find that the debugger runs better when KAV is disabled.  Of
>> course I could also go through the AV settings and create exceptions
>> but for some reason these exceptions are not always retained or they
>> get reset back.
>>
>> Regards... Jonathan

Hi Jan and Jonathan!
After Jan has solved his problem with slow debugger, I decided to play with
my antivirus (NOD32). I discovered that HIPS (Host-based Intrusion
Prevention System) slows down debugger. After I've added new rule in HIPS
rule management for VXIDE20.EXE, debugger is working fast.
Adding VXIDE20.EXE, or even whole Alaska folder, in standard exclusions
didn't work.
After one year of sloooooow debugging I'm on a horse again !
Thanks Jan & Jonathan

Regards
Damir
Thomas BraunRe: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:55:15 +0100
Damir Hodak wrote:

> Hi Jan and Jonathan!
> After Jan has solved his problem with slow debugger, I decided to play with
> my antivirus (NOD32). I discovered that HIPS (Host-based Intrusion
> Prevention System) slows down debugger. After I've added new rule in HIPS
> rule management for VXIDE20.EXE, debugger is working fast.
> Adding VXIDE20.EXE, or even whole Alaska folder, in standard exclusions
> didn't work.
> After one year of sloooooow debugging I'm on a horse again !
> Thanks Jan & Jonathan
>
> Regards
> Damir

I'm always wondering why developers are using antivirus software...
Jan EscholtRe: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:26:07 +0100
Jan,

I have this problem when there are too many breakpoints in the project.
Expecially 1.9 creates a lot of breakpoints by itself. Delete them in
the xpj, and it's much faster.

Jan

Am 28.12.2015 um 09:21 schrieb Jan Groenestein:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I run Xbase++ 1.9 on a relatively new computer, OS Windows 7, with an
> SSD drive. All programs run very fast, but the Xbase debugger is very,
> very, very, very slow.
> This problem has been posted in another thread earlier but has never
> been solved. In the end I simply stopped using Xbase on that machine. I
> need to solve this now. Is there anyone who recognises the problem ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jan Groenestein
Jan Groenestein Re: SLOOOOOOOW debugger
on Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:08:24 +0100
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tip, but that cannot be the cause. On two different
machines I use exactly the same project, on two different machines, one
is fast (relatively), the other is slooooow.
Anyway, the mystery is solved, see my reply to Jonathan.

Kind regards,
Jan Groenestein