Alaska Software Inc. - ADS.ini
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: ADS.ini
Itai Ben-ArtziADS.ini
on Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:19:25 -0800
Hi,
Is ADS.ini required on a workstation (Win-10) where the ADS is installed on
the server (Server-2008)?
If yes, where the INI should be saved?
Many thanks,
-Itai
Jonathan LeemingRe: ADS.ini
on Sat, 09 Dec 2017 08:38:02 -0700
On 12/8/2017 9:19 PM, Itai Ben-Artzi wrote:
> Hi,
> Is ADS.ini required on a workstation (Win-10) where the ADS is installed
> on the server (Server-2008)?
> If yes, where the INI should be saved?
> Many thanks,
> -Itai
Hi Itai,

The following is extracted from the 11.1 ADS help file
(section: ads.ini File Support)...

All Advantage clients based on the Advantage Client Engine can use an
initialization file, ads.ini, to override specific default settings such
as the Advantage server type. The Advantage JDBC Driver and the
Advantage CA-Clipper RDDs do not use the ads.ini file.

The Advantage TDataSet Descendant supports database aliases that are
defined in the ads.ini files. See the topic, Database Aliases and the
ads.ini File in the Advantage TDataSet Descendant Help documentation
(ADE.HLP or ade.htm) for more information. (Note that each of the
Advantage products and their corresponding Help files are installed
separately.)

Windows

In order for the ads.ini file to be used, it must be located in the
application directory, the Windows directory, the Windows System
directory, or the client's search path.

In addition, if an environment variable exists with the name
adsini_path, that path will be used to locate the ads.ini file. This can
be helpful when you do not want to modify the application’s search path,
but still need the ads.ini file to exist in a directory multiple users
have rights to (for example on Windows Vista installations). An
application can often set the environment variable at run-time before
calling any Advantage functions, which avoids the need to set a
per-workstation environment variable.

The help file came with my ADS 11.1 installation package.

Regards... Jonathan