Alaska Software Inc. - Debugging MT Apps Question?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Debugging MT Apps Question?
Simon White Debugging MT Apps Question?
on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:47:56 -0500
Hi

I have not seen any special documentation relating to debugging
Multi-threaded apps so does that mean the debugger automatically handles
debugging multiple threads?

The reason I ask is that I set two  break-points in code that runs in
different threads.  The main thread debugs just fine but I never see the
second break-point.  I am reasonably certain that my second thread is
running because the status is reported correctly in the first thread I
just never see my break-point in the debugger despite the fact that it
is set on the first line of code that must be run in the second thread.

Thanks,
Simon
Simon White Re: Debugging MT Apps Question?
on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:28:37 -0500
Hi

My application is now debugging properly but I have not changed any code
so I cannot explain why it would not debug properly yesterday.  I have
been using Vx-debugger in Windows 7 so maybe there are still some
unidentified bugs causing the abnormal behavior.

Simon

On 19/02/2010 9:47 AM, Simon White wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have not seen any special documentation relating to debugging
> Multi-threaded apps so does that mean the debugger automatically handles
> debugging multiple threads?
>
> The reason I ask is that I set two break-points in code that runs in
> different threads. The main thread debugs just fine but I never see the
> second break-point. I am reasonably certain that my second thread is
> running because the status is reported correctly in the first thread I
> just never see my break-point in the debugger despite the fact that it
> is set on the first line of code that must be run in the second thread.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
James Loughner Re: Debugging MT Apps Question?
on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:39:52 -0500
Morry likely a bug in MS's newest beta software ie Windows 7

I assume you rebooted between yesterday and today???

Jim

On 02/19/2010 10:28 AM, Simon White wrote:
> Hi
>
> My application is now debugging properly but I have not changed any code
> so I cannot explain why it would not debug properly yesterday.  I have
> been using Vx-debugger in Windows 7 so maybe there are still some
> unidentified bugs causing the abnormal behavior.
>
> Simon
>

> On 19/02/2010 9:47 AM, Simon White wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have not seen any special documentation relating to debugging
>> Multi-threaded apps so does that mean the debugger automatically handles
>> debugging multiple threads?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I set two break-points in code that runs in
>> different threads. The main thread debugs just fine but I never see the
>> second break-point. I am reasonably certain that my second thread is
>> running because the status is reported correctly in the first thread I
>> just never see my break-point in the debugger despite the fact that it
>> is set on the first line of code that must be run in the second thread.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Simon

Simon White Re: Debugging MT Apps Question?
on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:42:05 -0500
Yes I did reboot.

Simon

On 19/02/2010 10:39 AM, James Loughner wrote:
> Morry likely a bug in MS's newest beta software ie Windows 7
>
> I assume you rebooted between yesterday and today???
>
> Jim
>
> On 02/19/2010 10:28 AM, Simon White wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> My application is now debugging properly but I have not changed any code
>> so I cannot explain why it would not debug properly yesterday.  I have
>> been using Vx-debugger in Windows 7 so maybe there are still some
>> unidentified bugs causing the abnormal behavior.
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> On 19/02/2010 9:47 AM, Simon White wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have not seen any special documentation relating to debugging
>>> Multi-threaded apps so does that mean the debugger automatically handles
>>> debugging multiple threads?
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is that I set two break-points in code that runs in
>>> different threads. The main thread debugs just fine but I never see the
>>> second break-point. I am reasonably certain that my second thread is
>>> running because the status is reported correctly in the first thread I
>>> just never see my break-point in the debugger despite the fact that it
>>> is set on the first line of code that must be run in the second thread.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Simon

James Loughner Re: Debugging MT Apps Question?
on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:20:07 -0500
And that apparently fixed the problem. MS at it's finest.

Jim