Alaska Software Inc. - Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
Bengt OveliusXbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:27:03 +0200
It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
and that most people now use handheld devices.
What does the future of XBASE++ look loke ?

I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
But how powerful is it ?

Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??

Is Delphi 10 doing the same thing with its IoT (Internet of things ) ?

It seems that the internet browser could be the key to the future as it
works in the same way on all platforms.

Best regards
Bengt
Jonathan LeemingRe: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:25:05 -0600
Hi Bengt,

Obviously there are various solutions / approaches to evolving with
technologies as you allude to with nsbasic.com to Javascipt/html and
Delphi 10.

At the Phoenix conference this October (http://www.swfox.net) a number
of speakers are presenting a number of sessions around the Alaska
Xbase++ approach...

Peter Alderliesten has a session "Pull up Your (Web)Sock(et)s"
Roger Donnay has a session "Internet Technologies in Xbase++ 2.0"
Steffen Pirsig has a session "Developing Multi-Tier Applications with
Xbase++"
Till Warweg has a sesiion "Creating Dynamic Web Applications Without
JavaScript" and another "Extending Your Desktop User Interfaces with
the WebUI"

All the capabilities presented above are currently available in
Xbase++. 2.0

Although not focusing on what you specifically referring to Steffen's
session "Xbase++ Roadmap: What's Next!" should give you a good idea of
how Alaska sees technology evolving and what they will be moving to
ward in the future to address these needs.

For a practical look at a Xbase++ look at what can be accomplished
check out Nestor's link in the public.xbase++.cxp section...
http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/starlite-now-scales-down-mobile-devices-nestor-guido

In his posting Nestor has a couple of links that show you Xbase++ on
the web in action... you can check it out from both your mobile device
and your browser of choice.

I you can I would highly recommend attending the www.swfox.net
conference in Phoenix next month... it's a investment that is well
worth while both from the perspective of the sessions and the exchange
of ideas, concepts & solutions with both fellow developers and the
core Alaska Xbase++ team!

Regards... Jonathan

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:27:03 +0200, Bengt Ovelius wrote:

>  It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
>and that most people now use handheld devices.
>What does the future of XBASE++ look loke ?
>
>I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
>that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
>This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
>But how powerful is it ?
>
>Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??
>
>Is Delphi 10 doing the same thing with its IoT (Internet of things ) ?
>
>It seems that the internet browser could be the key to the future as it
>works in the same way on all platforms.
>
>Best regards
>Bengt

Jonathan LeemingRe: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:46:47 -0600
Hi Again Bengt,

I was thinking after my last post that perhaps your news reader is not
checking all of the newer Alaska newsgroups.  I would suggest that you
might consider updating your newsgroup directory just in case.

Regards... Jonathan

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:25:05 -0600, Jonathan Leeming wrote:

>Hi Bengt,
>
>Obviously there are various solutions / approaches to evolving with
>technologies as you allude to with nsbasic.com to Javascipt/html and
>Delphi 10.
>
>At the Phoenix conference this October (http://www.swfox.net) a number
>of speakers are presenting a number of sessions around the Alaska
>Xbase++ approach...
>
>Peter Alderliesten has a session "Pull up Your (Web)Sock(et)s"
>Roger Donnay has a session "Internet Technologies in Xbase++ 2.0"
>Steffen Pirsig has a session "Developing Multi-Tier Applications with
>Xbase++"
>Till Warweg has a sesiion "Creating Dynamic Web Applications Without
>JavaScript" and another "Extending Your Desktop User Interfaces with
>the WebUI"
>
>All the capabilities presented above are currently available in
>Xbase++. 2.0
>
>Although not focusing on what you specifically referring to Steffen's
>session "Xbase++ Roadmap: What's Next!" should give you a good idea of
>how Alaska sees technology evolving and what they will be moving to
>ward in the future to address these needs.
>
>For a practical look at a Xbase++ look at what can be accomplished
>check out Nestor's link in the public.xbase++.cxp section...
>http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/starlite-now-scales-down-mobile-devices-nestor-guido
>
>In his posting Nestor has a couple of links that show you Xbase++ on
>the web in action... you can check it out from both your mobile device
>and your browser of choice.
>
>I you can I would highly recommend attending the www.swfox.net
>conference in Phoenix next month... it's a investment that is well
>worth while both from the perspective of the sessions and the exchange
>of ideas, concepts & solutions with both fellow developers and the
>core Alaska Xbase++ team!
>
>Regards... Jonathan
>
>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:27:03 +0200, Bengt Ovelius wrote:
>
>>  It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
>>and that most people now use handheld devices.
>>What does the future of XBASE++ look loke ?
>>
>>I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
>>that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
>>This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
>>But how powerful is it ?
>>
>>Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??
>>
>>Is Delphi 10 doing the same thing with its IoT (Internet of things ) ?
>>
>>It seems that the internet browser could be the key to the future as it
>>works in the same way on all platforms.
>>
>>Best regards
>>Bengt

Boris BorzicRe: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:08:36 +0200
Bengt Ovelius wrote in news:251ac70f$1c726d80$17046@news.alaska-
software.com:

> It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
> and that most people now use handheld devices.
> What does the future of XBASE++ look like ?

I don't think the windows platform is shrinking. Rather, the other
platforms like mobile devices is growing more than the desktop market.
But they are all still growing which means that the future has plenty of
room for Xbase++.

> I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
> that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
> This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
> But how powerful is it ?
> Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??

I had a brief look at the www.nsbasic.com site including some of the
tutorials. It looks to me like they are essentially developing web apps
that reside on a server and are accessed from a mobile device using a web
browser.

Although they provide a nice development environment, we have been doing
this for a very long time using Xbase++, Xb2.NET and SQLExpress.

One of my clients is in the WMS (Warehouse Management System) business.
They have an Xbase++ application that runs on a (windows) server and
warehouse operators doing receiving, picking, packing and stock
management all use industrial mobile devices that are connected
wirelessly to a Xb2.NET HTTP and Telnet server.

Here is an example what these handheld devices look like:
http://www.intermec.com/products/computers/handheld_computers/index.aspx

Although these devices are designed for rugged industrial use, one can
just as easily use an iphone, tablet or android device because the
client-side UI is either a web browser or a Telnet client.

I will be doing a presentation about some of these topics at the European
DevCon hosted by XXP November 18-20. In one of my sessions I will talk
about developing simple multi-threaded service applications with web GUI.
I will also touch upon some of the changes and new features like
WebSockets and simplified support for mobile devices in Xb2.NET v3.4.

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Claudio Driussi Re: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Thu, 08 Oct 2015 13:32:30 +0200
Il 14/09/2015 15:08, Boris Borzic ha scritto:
> Bengt Ovelius wrote in news:251ac70f$1c726d80$17046@news.alaska-
> software.com:
>
>> It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
>> and that most people now use handheld devices.
>> What does the future of XBASE++ look like ?
>
> I don't think the windows platform is shrinking. Rather, the other
> platforms like mobile devices is growing more than the desktop market.
> But they are all still growing which means that the future has plenty of
> room for Xbase++.
>
>> I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
>> that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
>> This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
>> But how powerful is it ?
>> Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??
>
> I had a brief look at the www.nsbasic.com site including some of the
> tutorials. It looks to me like they are essentially developing web apps
> that reside on a server and are accessed from a mobile device using a web
> browser.

Not true.
They produce HTML5 + JS applications native for target platform
that interact with the hardware using the HTML5 capabilities. See:

http://cordova.apache.org/
and
http://phonegap.com/

www.nsbasic.com is an IDE which generates apps for phonegap

> Although they provide a nice development environment, we have been doing
> this for a very long time using Xbase++, Xb2.NET and SQLExpress.
>
> One of my clients is in the WMS (Warehouse Management System) business.
> They have an Xbase++ application that runs on a (windows) server and
> warehouse operators doing receiving, picking, packing and stock
> management all use industrial mobile devices that are connected
> wirelessly to a Xb2.NET HTTP and Telnet server.
>
> Here is an example what these handheld devices look like:
> http://www.intermec.com/products/computers/handheld_computers/index.aspx
>
> Although these devices are designed for rugged industrial use, one can
> just as easily use an iphone, tablet or android device because the
> client-side UI is either a web browser or a Telnet client.
>
> I will be doing a presentation about some of these topics at the European
> DevCon hosted by XXP November 18-20. In one of my sessions I will talk
> about developing simple multi-threaded service applications with web GUI.
> I will also touch upon some of the changes and new features like
> WebSockets and simplified support for mobile devices in Xb2.NET v3.4.

Claudio Driussi Re: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Thu, 08 Oct 2015 13:41:15 +0200
Il 13/09/2015 09:27, Bengt Ovelius ha scritto:
>   It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
> and that most people now use handheld devices.
> What does the future of XBASE++ look loke ?
>
> I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
> that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
> This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
> But how powerful is it ?

You can see Kivy too:

http://kivy.org/

If you are familiar with Python it's really easy.
Roughly kivy is a platform which support many OSs
and can perform the same python source code in each
OS.

In android there are some libraries which let
to access to the AndroidSdk APIs.

I'm planning to use Kivy to communicate with
Xbase++ application via socket

> Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??
>
> Is Delphi 10 doing the same thing with its IoT (Internet of things ) ?
>
> It seems that the internet browser could be the key to the future as it
> works in the same way on all platforms.
>
> Best regards
> Bengt

Allen Lee Re: Xbase on MAC. Linux, Android ?
on Thu, 05 Nov 2015 17:32:48 -0800
On 9/13/2015 12:27 AM, Bengt Ovelius wrote:
>   It is a major concern that the windows platform is shrinking worldwide
> and that most people now use handheld devices.
> What does the future of XBASE++ look loke ?
>
> I recently found a program  https://www.nsbasic.com/
> that converts Basic to JavaScript/HTML
> This approach allows true Multi Platform power.
> But how powerful is it ?
>
> Would the future for XBASE++ be a XBASE++ to js converter ??
>
> Is Delphi 10 doing the same thing with its IoT (Internet of things ) ?
>
> It seems that the internet browser could be the key to the future as it
> works in the same way on all platforms.
>
> Best regards
> Bengt

You are correct that the internet browser is the key to future.
Why would you bother converting Xbase++ code to another language when
you have the capability to code in CXP (or WAA)?
The only time you need another language is when you want to do some
client-side scripting.

I have created web database applications since 2001 using only Alaska's
Web Application Adapter (WAA) with html, javascript and CSS enhancements.

The apps run on any device (desktop, tablet or phone) that has an
internet connection regardless of the device's operating system.
The javascript and CSS make the app responsive and mobile-friendly for
any size screen.