Alaska Software Inc. - updating of files
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: updating of files
Zdenko Bielikupdating of files
on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 13:28:02 +0100
Hi Pablo or any others,

please, can someone compile attached source code into one stand-alone exe
file with any other compiler then Xbase++?
I want call this exe file from batch file before starting main app. The
problem is when Xbase's dll or some my exe files are in use, it is not
possible delete it and copy new ones...

e.g.
update.exe d:\myapp\updates d:\myapp *.exe
update.exe d:\myapp\updates d:\myapp *.dll

I have this scenario:
1. I pack new app's exe file/files or/and needed dlls into updateNNN.rar or
updateNNN.zip and packed file is uploaded on my ftp server (where NNN is
number of new build)
2. in app i have function for check and download new build - if it exits on
ftp server then it is download into \myapp\updates directory and unpacked
and app is closed
3. before new start-up of app new exe and dll files are copies into \myapp
dir

Or have someone better scenario for upgrading?
Note: I don't want no more use in batch file any other external utilities
for copying or extracting, just any simple copy routine - yes I know, there
is system xcopy function which I use also just now, but some parameters are
dependent on regional national settings e.g. confirm may be with Y or A...
Also, I don't want or can't right now use any installer(-s) at some sites
due on security restrictions/admin settings... so only copying new files in
app's dir are allowed...

TIA & Regards

    Zdeno

s pozdravom

zdeno bielik
ace system, spol. s r.o.
tiavnick 18
949 01 nitra
http://www.acesystem.sk
tel: 0904 - 328 888
... s nami dostvate vdy viac

UPDATE.PRG
Pablo BotellaRe: updating of files
on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:24:36 +0100
Hi,

I think your atached prg will be fully compilable in harbour, maybe will need to replace the MsgBox() but the rest of the code  will be ok

I was provided some custom solutions as standalone exe in C++ , so if you need and small and optiimized update tool,maybe you can contact me by private email.

Regards,
Pablo Botella
Zdenko BielikRe: updating of files
on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 16:01:10 +0100
Hi Pablo

> contact me by private email.
check your inbox

     Zdeno
Hubert BrandelRe: updating of files
on Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:11:53 +0100
Hi,

you CAN use a Xbase++ Update EXE !
The only thing you have to do is put the update EXE and it's DLLs in a
different directory. Then this EXE will start its own DLLs and you can
update what ever you want. I habe made this for one of my programs,
using ASINET and XppZLib for load the update ZIP from my webserver,
unpack it and then install all.

I thought about using my PowerBasic Compiler to get a one file EXE,
but with Xbase++ I can change the DBF directly.

Regards,
Hubert
Zdenko BielikRe: updating of files
on Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:30:37 +0100
Hi Hubert,

> The only thing you have to do is put the update EXE and it's DLLs in a
> different directory.
I didn't know this "trick", I will try it - many thanks!

Regards
              Zdeno
Marco AguiarRe: updating of files
on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:35:16 +0100
Hello

Is it possible to place inside the application some routine
that detect that there is a new update avaiable, leave the program,
update with the new exe and dll and return or execute the same app ?

Any sugestions ?

Regards

Marco

"Zdenko Bielik" escreveu na mensagem

[...]

¹tiavnická 18
949 01 nitra
http://www.acesystem.sk
tel: 0904 - 328 888
... s nami dostávate v¾dy viac
Wolfgang Ciriack Re: updating of files
on Sat, 02 Jul 2011 09:08:59 +0200
Am 01.07.2011 13:35, schrieb Marco Aguiar:
> Hello
>
> Is it possible to place inside the application some routine
> that detect that there is a new update avaiable, leave the program,
> update with the new exe and dll and return or execute the same app ?
>
> Any sugestions ?

You can do it:

if update
    RunShell("","MyUpdater.exe",.T.)
    quit
endif

And in MyUpdater.exe

I use that with MyUpdater.exe as a InnoSetup Installprog, where you can
define a prog to start at end of the installtion.
Perhaps you can try a own app with

<copy files....>
Runshell("","Myprog.exe",.T.)
Quit