Alaska Software Inc. - Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
Chris Carmac Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Tue, 23 May 2017 12:01:42 -0400
Everyone,

A few days ago I install the Creators Update on my Windows 10
development machine. Ever since then, I’ve had this weird issue…

When I first turn on my computer each morning, everything works fine – I
can compile and run my XBase++ applications with no problem.  After an
indeterminate/random period of time, my Xbase++ applications stop
launching. The compiler works, so I have no problem building the .exe,
but when I try to launch it, it simply doesn’t load.  If I open the task
manager and try to launch the .exe, it appears in the process list for a
second or two, like it’s trying to load, and then it just disappears
with no error message.  If I restart my computer, everything works
normally again, for while.  Then the .exe eventually stops launching
again, and I have to reboot again.  The problem seems to only affect my
Xbase++ apps. I can launch other programs (notepad, Word, Excel,
QuickBooks, etc.) with no problem.

I’ve checked the Windows event log, but I don’t see any events listed
there stating that the .exe was killed or had an error.  I’ve tried the
usual stuff, disabling the Windows Firewall, disabling the antivirus,
etc., but nothing seems to help.

I checked the Data Execution Prevention tab under Control Panel/System
Properties/Advanced/Settings, and the “Turn on DEP for essential Windows
programs and services only” option is enabled.

I am running ESET NOD 32 as my antivirus, and I am also running
Malwarebytes to protect against ramsomware and the like.  On top of
that, I think some of the Windows Defender processes might be running
also.  There is a task named “Windows Security Health” service running
that I can’t kill in the task manager - if I try I get an “access
denied” error.  I suppose it’s possible that some of these protection
programs could be interfering with each other and/or blocking my
applications. Still, it’s odd that rebooting fixes the problem, albeit
temporarily.

Needless to say, this is very annoying.  I really hope this issue does
not manifest itself at my client sites.

Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does
anyone have any ideas regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Chris Carmac
Regan CawkwellRe: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Tue, 23 May 2017 17:50:37 +0100
On 23/05/2017 17:01, Chris Carmac wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> A few days ago I install the Creators Update on my Windows 10 development machine. Ever
> since then, I’ve had this weird issue…
>
> When I first turn on my computer each morning, everything works fine – I can compile and
> run my XBase++ applications with no problem.  After an indeterminate/random period of
> time, my Xbase++ applications stop launching. The compiler works, so I have no problem
> building the .exe, but when I try to launch it, it simply doesn’t load.  If I open the
> task manager and try to launch the .exe, it appears in the process list for a second or
> two, like it’s trying to load, and then it just disappears with no error message.  If I
> restart my computer, everything works normally again, for while.  Then the .exe eventually
> stops launching again, and I have to reboot again.  The problem seems to only affect my
> Xbase++ apps. I can launch other programs (notepad, Word, Excel, QuickBooks, etc.) with no
> problem.
>
> I’ve checked the Windows event log, but I don’t see any events listed there stating that
> the .exe was killed or had an error.  I’ve tried the usual stuff, disabling the Windows
> Firewall, disabling the antivirus, etc., but nothing seems to help.
>
> I checked the Data Execution Prevention tab under Control Panel/System
> Properties/Advanced/Settings, and the “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and
> services only” option is enabled.
>
> I am running ESET NOD 32 as my antivirus, and I am also running Malwarebytes to protect
> against ramsomware and the like.  On top of that, I think some of the Windows Defender
> processes might be running also.  There is a task named “Windows Security Health” service
> running that I can’t kill in the task manager - if I try I get an “access denied” error.
> I suppose it’s possible that some of these protection programs could be interfering with
> each other and/or blocking my applications. Still, it’s odd that rebooting fixes the
> problem, albeit temporarily.
>
> Needless to say, this is very annoying.  I really hope this issue does not manifest itself
> at my client sites.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does anyone have any ideas
> regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Chris Carmac

Chris

I am not even using the new Creator build yet but I occasionally do a build and my EXE
will not run (it sounds similar to what you are seeing).  I delete the EXE and build and
run again and it works.

Regan
Rba
Chris Carmac Re: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Tue, 23 May 2017 14:03:34 -0400
On 5/23/2017 12:50 PM, Regan Cawkwell wrote:
> On 23/05/2017 17:01, Chris Carmac wrote:
>> Everyone,
>>
>> A few days ago I install the Creators Update on my Windows 10
>> development machine. Ever since then, I’ve had this weird issue…
>>
>> When I first turn on my computer each morning, everything works fine –
>> I can compile and run my XBase++ applications with no problem.  After
>> an indeterminate/random period of time, my Xbase++ applications stop
>> launching. The compiler works, so I have no problem building the .exe,
>> but when I try to launch it, it simply doesn’t load.  If I open the
>> task manager and try to launch the .exe, it appears in the process
>> list for a second or two, like it’s trying to load, and then it just
>> disappears with no error message.  If I restart my computer,
>> everything works normally again, for while.  Then the .exe eventually
>> stops launching again, and I have to reboot again.  The problem seems
>> to only affect my Xbase++ apps. I can launch other programs (notepad,
>> Word, Excel, QuickBooks, etc.) with no problem.
>>
>> I’ve checked the Windows event log, but I don’t see any events listed
>> there stating that the .exe was killed or had an error.  I’ve tried
>> the usual stuff, disabling the Windows Firewall, disabling the
>> antivirus, etc., but nothing seems to help.
>>
>> I checked the Data Execution Prevention tab under Control Panel/System
>> Properties/Advanced/Settings, and the “Turn on DEP for essential
>> Windows programs and services only” option is enabled.
>>
>> I am running ESET NOD 32 as my antivirus, and I am also running
>> Malwarebytes to protect against ramsomware and the like.  On top of
>> that, I think some of the Windows Defender processes might be running
>> also.  There is a task named “Windows Security Health” service running
>> that I can’t kill in the task manager - if I try I get an “access
>> denied” error.  I suppose it’s possible that some of these protection
>> programs could be interfering with each other and/or blocking my
>> applications. Still, it’s odd that rebooting fixes the problem, albeit
>> temporarily.
>>
>> Needless to say, this is very annoying.  I really hope this issue does
>> not manifest itself at my client sites.
>>
>> Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does
>> anyone have any ideas regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be
>> greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>>
>> Chris Carmac
>
> Chris
>
> I am not even using the new Creator build yet but I occasionally do a
> build and my EXE will not run (it sounds similar to what you are
> seeing).  I delete the EXE and build and run again and it works.
>
> Regan
> Rba

Regan,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, that procedure doesn't work for
me.  If I delete the .exe and build it again, it still won't launch.
Building it with pbuild /all doesn't help either. Nothing seems to work
except rebooting. Weird.

Chris
Carlos Re: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Wed, 24 May 2017 11:05:33 +0100
Hi,
Replace all DLLs too.
Carlos

Às 19:03 de 23/05/2017, Chris Carmac escreveu:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Needless to say, this is very annoying.  I really hope this issue does
>>> not manifest itself at my client sites.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does
>>> anyone have any ideas regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be
>>> greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Chris Carmac
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> I am not even using the new Creator build yet but I occasionally do a
>> build and my EXE will not run (it sounds similar to what you are
>> seeing).  I delete the EXE and build and run again and it works.
>>
>> Regan
>> Rba
>

> Regan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, that procedure doesn't work for
> me.  If I delete the .exe and build it again, it still won't launch.
> Building it with pbuild /all doesn't help either. Nothing seems to work

Thomas BraunRe: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Wed, 24 May 2017 11:45:40 +0200
Chris Carmac wrote:

> I am running ESET NOD 32 as my antivirus, and I am also running
> Malwarebytes to protect against ramsomware and the like.

I would get rid of both - this type of software only gives a false sense of
security plus may open up additional attack vectors for the bad guys.

Software has always been and will always be subject to security problems -
you can't fix this by adding even more software (=complexity) to it like
Antivirus software.

The recent "WannaCry" incident shows how useful this type of software is.

Instead of:

- Install updates for the OS and applications (especially browsers) as soon
as they are released.

- Dont use privileged user accounts (aka administrator) for your regular
work.

- Use the security tools that are integrated into the OS like Windows
Defender.

- Use your brain while surfing and reading email (especially those with
attachements

I never used more than MS Security Essentials or Windows Defender and
never had any issues with malware.

Also, good malware (NSA grade) installs without you or anti-malware
software even noticing.

> Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does
> anyone have any ideas regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be
> greatly appreciated.

I can see two possible ways to continue:

Remove all software which is not absolutely neccesary (like ESET and
Malwarebytes) and see if it starts working again.

Contact Alaska Support and ask for help.

best
Thomas
Chris Carmac Re: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Wed, 24 May 2017 14:02:40 -0400
On 5/24/2017 5:45 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
> Chris Carmac wrote:
>

>> I am running ESET NOD 32 as my antivirus, and I am also running
>> Malwarebytes to protect against ramsomware and the like.
>
> I would get rid of both - this type of software only gives a false sense of
> security plus may open up additional attack vectors for the bad guys.
>
> Software has always been and will always be subject to security problems -
> you can't fix this by adding even more software (=complexity) to it like
> Antivirus software.
>
> The recent "WannaCry" incident shows how useful this type of software is.
>
> Instead of:
>
> - Install updates for the OS and applications (especially browsers) as soon
> as they are released.
>
> - Dont use privileged user accounts (aka administrator) for your regular
> work.
>
> - Use the security tools that are integrated into the OS like Windows
> Defender.
>
> - Use your brain while surfing and reading email (especially those with
> attachements
>
> I never used more than MS Security Essentials or Windows Defender and
> never had any issues with malware.
>
> Also, good malware (NSA grade) installs without you or anti-malware
> software even noticing.
>

>> Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does
>> anyone have any ideas regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> I can see two possible ways to continue:
>
> Remove all software which is not absolutely neccesary (like ESET and
> Malwarebytes) and see if it starts working again.
>
> Contact Alaska Support and ask for help.
>
> best
> Thomas

Thomas and Carlos,

Thanks for the replies. After fiddling with this for several days, I
decided to uninstall the Creators Update and roll back to the previous
version of Windows 10. The rollback seems to have fixed the problem.

Chris
Ingo Steinbuechel Re: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Thu, 25 May 2017 12:25:28 +0200
Hi Chris,

"Chris Carmac" <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> schrieb:

> On 5/24/2017 5:45 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
["feel-good" security software]
> this type of software only gives a false sense of
> security plus may open up additional attack vectors for the bad guys.

never read any better evaluation.

>> The recent "WannaCry" incident shows how useful this type of software is.
>>
>> Instead of:
>>
>> - Install updates for the OS and applications (especially browsers) as soon
>> as they are released.
>>
>> - Dont use privileged user accounts (aka administrator) for your regular
>> work.
>>
>> - Use the security tools that are integrated into the OS like Windows
>> Defender.
>>
>> - Use your brain while surfing and reading email (especially those with
>> attachements
>>  [...]
 > After fiddling with this for several days, I
 > decided to uninstall the Creators Update and roll back to the
 > previous version of Windows 10.

that's just (the opposite of) what Thomas intended to say.

 > The rollback seems to have fixed the problem.

Shall I laugh or cry? Some people will never learn. Just shaking my head
about so much unreasonableness.

>> Remove all software which is not absolutely neccesary (like ESET and
>> Malwarebytes) and see if it starts working again.

Absolutely correct. Just to add: and activate Defender and Windows
Firewall instead.

Regards Ingo
Chris Carmac Re: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Wed, 24 May 2017 14:04:22 -0400
On 5/24/2017 5:45 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
> Chris Carmac wrote:
>

>> I am running ESET NOD 32 as my antivirus, and I am also running
>> Malwarebytes to protect against ramsomware and the like.
>
> I would get rid of both - this type of software only gives a false sense of
> security plus may open up additional attack vectors for the bad guys.
>
> Software has always been and will always be subject to security problems -
> you can't fix this by adding even more software (=complexity) to it like
> Antivirus software.
>
> The recent "WannaCry" incident shows how useful this type of software is.
>
> Instead of:
>
> - Install updates for the OS and applications (especially browsers) as soon
> as they are released.
>
> - Dont use privileged user accounts (aka administrator) for your regular
> work.
>
> - Use the security tools that are integrated into the OS like Windows
> Defender.
>
> - Use your brain while surfing and reading email (especially those with
> attachements
>
> I never used more than MS Security Essentials or Windows Defender and
> never had any issues with malware.
>
> Also, good malware (NSA grade) installs without you or anti-malware
> software even noticing.
>

>> Has anyone else run into this problem, or something similar?  Does
>> anyone have any ideas regarding how to fix this?  Any ideas will be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> I can see two possible ways to continue:
>
> Remove all software which is not absolutely neccesary (like ESET and
> Malwarebytes) and see if it starts working again.
>
> Contact Alaska Support and ask for help.
>
> best
> Thomas

Thomas and Carlos,

Thanks for the replies. After fiddling with this for several days I
finally decided to uninstall the Creators Update and roll back to the
previous version of Windows 10. That seems to have fixed the problem.

Chris
Roland GentnerRe: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Wed, 07 Jun 2017 13:06:19 +0200
Hello

i have the same problem since updated to creators V.1703.
on my pc and on client side on some pcs - not on all!
most time i can found XPPFATAL.LOG after program didnt start.

uninstall creators update is not an option. more and more users get
creators update.

i am using hybrid mode (xbpcrt).
have tested to make a logfile at INIT PROCEDURE in error case. but
logfile is not created. xbase++ seems to crash before init procedure.

Roland
Jim LeeRe: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Wed, 07 Jun 2017 18:45:16 +0200
hi,

Xbase++ Version ?

tell us more about your hardware.
do you use 4K display with DisplayPort ? build-in GFK or external ?

can you start EXE via workbench ?
if using Manifest show it.
Otto TrappRe: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Thu, 08 Jun 2017 09:58:57 +0200
Hi,

A customer reported the same issue. The application .exe won't start
after a while and XPPFATAL.LOG is created. Their OS is Windows 10
version 1703. If the OS is rebooted then the launch is successful again
for some time. If the problem occurs, .exe won't start irrespective of
it is compiled with Xbase++ 1.9.355 or 2.0.726 . Their antivirus
software is Kaspersky.

Rolling back to pre creators update version of Win 10 is definitely NOT
an option.

The short XPPFATAL.LOG is:
Not recoverable Error!
SYS Thread-ID: 968
Module: EH
Error Codes: EH: 900 Sub: 0(0) OS: 0 XPP: 0
Call Stack of Thread 1 (968):
Call Stack of GUI Thread (1236):
File: C:\KK2016\KK2016.EXE
TimeStamp: 20170608 08:45
End of FATAL ERROR LOG.

:-o

Best Regards,
Otto
Roland GentnerRe: Windows 10 Creators Update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps
on Fri, 09 Jun 2017 14:58:36 +0200
Hallo Jim

> Xbase++ Version ?
2.00.785

> tell us more about your hardware
the PCs have Intel i7, from 8 to 32GB RAM, SSD,
additional Grphic Cards for 4k TFT,
MS Domain Network, roaming Profiles,

> do you use 4K display with DisplayPort ?
the local places have all 4k, some with Display Port,
remote machines have no TFT but can also 4k.

> build-in GFK or external ?
the workstations have gtx950 and grater/newer

> can you start EXE via workbench ?
workbench only installed on my workstation.
i get the problem only approx. 2 times a week. and cant repeat them.
hope i think to test with workbench next time problem occurs.

> if using Manifest show it.
my manifest file:
---
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"
xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" >
   <asmv3:application>
     <asmv3:windowsSettings
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
       <dpiAware>true</dpiAware>