Alaska Software Inc. - opening file failure with network access.
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: opening file failure with network access.
Nevzat Kanburopening file failure with network access.
on Thu, 10 Nov 2016 16:12:24 +0300
Hi
I use xbase++ 1.9.33x.
I am using local machine with windows 10.
I am trying to open .dbf with connecting windows7 machine.
I receive dbfopen error.

for example ;
USE Z:\DATA\ORDER.DBF NEW
I receive the following error:

ERROR LOG of "C:\PIRLANTA_NEW\xx.exe" Date: 11/10/2016 16:09:00

Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 1.90.355
Operating system    : Windows Vista 06.02 Build 09200
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oError:args         :
           -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .T.
           -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
           -> VALTYPE: C VALUE: Z:\DATA\ORDER.DBF
           -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
           -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .F.
           -> VALTYPE: L VALUE: .F.
oError:canDefault   : Y
oError:canRetry     : Y
oError:canSubstitute: N
oError:cargo        : NIL
oError:description  : File can not be opened
oError:filename     :
oError:genCode      :         71
oError:operation    : DbUseArea
oError:osCode       :          0
oError:severity     :          2
oError:subCode      :       8999
oError:subSystem    : BASE
oError:thread       :          1
oError:tries        :          1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CALLSTACK:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Called from MAIN(4)

But I do the same thing with FoxPro9 without any problem.

Like USE Z:\DATA\ORDER.DBF
BROWSE
No problem.

Do I miss something?
Any help please?

regards
Nevzat
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: opening file failure with network access.
on Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:22:15 -0500
Nevzat,

>I use xbase++ 1.9.33x.
>Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 1.90.355

Actually, you seem to be using version 1.90.355, rather than 1.90.331, 
according to your error log.

>I am using local machine with windows 10.

Xbase++ 1.9 isn't guaranteed to work with Windows 10, so your best bet is 
probably to upgrade to Xbase++ 2.0, if you want to use OS versions newer 
than Windows 7.

>I am trying to open .dbf with connecting windows7 machine.
>oError:genCode      :         71
>oError:subCode      :       8999

The Sub-System Error Code of "8999" is the non-descriptive "catch-all" error 
code of the Xbase++ DMLB to identify all unknown DBE errors, so it doesn't 
help much with determining the underlying issues for this runtime error.

>But I do the same thing with FoxPro9 without any problem.

What DBE do you use and what are the DBE settings? Could this be an issue 
with SMB, OpLocks, and related caching registry settings? I haven't used 
Xbase++ 1.9 for a couple of years now, and don't have much experience with 
it in Windows 10 to Window 7 peer-to-peer networks.

But I would use (at least) the following four registry settings:

Enable SMB2 on Windows Vista and above ==> val(OS(OS_VERSION)) >= 6
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
SMB2 := 1

Disable caching on Windows Vista and above ==> val(OS(OS_VERSION)) >= 6
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters
FileInfoCacheLifetime     := 0
FileNotFoundCacheLifetime := 0
DirectoryCacheLifetime    := 0

Additionally, the following settings might also be useful or even necessary:

SMB1 settings on Windows XP and above ==> OS(OS_FAMILY) == 'WINNT'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters
OpLocksDisabled := 1
InfoCacheLevel  := 16

Server settings on Windows XP and above ==> OS(OS_FAMILY) == 'WINNT'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
AutoDisconnect              := 0xFFFFFFFF
ConnectionNoSessionsTimeout := 0xFFFFFFFF
SharingViolationDelay       := 0
SharingViolationRetries     := 0
CachedOpenLimit             := 0
EnableOpLockForceClose      := 1
EnableOpLocks               := 0
OpLocksDisabled             := 1

Client settings on Windows XP and above ==> OS(OS_FAMILY) == 'WINNT'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters
CachedOpenLimit         := 0
EnableOpLockForceClose  := 1
EnableOpLocks           := 0
OpLocksDisabled         := 1
UseLockReadUnlock       := 0
UseOpportunisticLocking := 0
UseUnlockBehind         := 1
UtilizeNtCaching        := 0
DisableFlushOnCleanup   := 1
KeepConn                := 0xFFFF

All of the registry values are DWORDs and can be set programmatically with 
Thomas Braun's registry class or something similar.

Maybe someone else, like Jimmy might have some additional helpful hints.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
CarlosRe: opening file failure with network access.
on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 12:01:25 +0000
Hi Andreas,

If problem is SMB2, maybe it must be put to 0 because by default it is set.

Regards,
Carlos



"Andreas Gehrs-Pahl" escreveu na mensagem 
news:1ey81tqr4m8mt$.libdnwdk4dhu$.dlg@40tude.net...

Nevzat,

>I use xbase++ 1.9.33x.
>Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 1.90.355

Actually, you seem to be using version 1.90.355, rather than 1.90.331,
according to your error log.

>I am using local machine with windows 10.

Xbase++ 1.9 isn't guaranteed to work with Windows 10, so your best bet is
probably to upgrade to Xbase++ 2.0, if you want to use OS versions newer
than Windows 7.

>I am trying to open .dbf with connecting windows7 machine.
>oError:genCode      :         71
>oError:subCode      :       8999

The Sub-System Error Code of "8999" is the non-descriptive "catch-all" error
code of the Xbase++ DMLB to identify all unknown DBE errors, so it doesn't
help much with determining the underlying issues for this runtime error.

>But I do the same thing with FoxPro9 without any problem.

What DBE do you use and what are the DBE settings? Could this be an issue
with SMB, OpLocks, and related caching registry settings? I haven't used
Xbase++ 1.9 for a couple of years now, and don't have much experience with
it in Windows 10 to Window 7 peer-to-peer networks.

But I would use (at least) the following four registry settings:

Enable SMB2 on Windows Vista and above ==> val(OS(OS_VERSION)) >= 6
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
SMB2 := 1

Disable caching on Windows Vista and above ==> val(OS(OS_VERSION)) >= 6
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters
FileInfoCacheLifetime     := 0
FileNotFoundCacheLifetime := 0
DirectoryCacheLifetime    := 0

Additionally, the following settings might also be useful or even necessary:

SMB1 settings on Windows XP and above ==> OS(OS_FAMILY) == 'WINNT'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters
OpLocksDisabled := 1
InfoCacheLevel  := 16

Server settings on Windows XP and above ==> OS(OS_FAMILY) == 'WINNT'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
AutoDisconnect              := 0xFFFFFFFF
ConnectionNoSessionsTimeout := 0xFFFFFFFF
SharingViolationDelay       := 0
SharingViolationRetries     := 0
CachedOpenLimit             := 0
EnableOpLockForceClose      := 1
EnableOpLocks               := 0
OpLocksDisabled             := 1

Client settings on Windows XP and above ==> OS(OS_FAMILY) == 'WINNT'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters
CachedOpenLimit         := 0
EnableOpLockForceClose  := 1
EnableOpLocks           := 0
OpLocksDisabled         := 1
UseLockReadUnlock       := 0
UseOpportunisticLocking := 0
UseUnlockBehind         := 1
UtilizeNtCaching        := 0
DisableFlushOnCleanup   := 1
KeepConn                := 0xFFFF

All of the registry values are DWORDs and can be set programmatically with
Thomas Braun's registry class or something similar.

Maybe someone else, like Jimmy might have some additional helpful hints.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Jim LeeRe: opening file failure with network access.
on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:00:54 +0100
hi,

> I use xbase++ 1.9.33x.
> I am using local machine with windows 10.
> I am trying to open .dbf with connecting windows7 machine.
> I receive dbfopen error.
...
> But I do the same thing with FoxPro9 without any problem.

how does your DBESYS look like ?
how does you TEMP/TMP look like ?

have you just create ORDER.DBF and want to USE it ?

when using "map" Drive it use Lanmanager with SMB1
try to use full UNC Path