Alaska Software Inc. - Back home
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Back home
Frans Vermeulen Back home
on Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:00:06 +0100
I want to thank the guys from Berlin for a great DevCon,
You have done a lot of work, done a great job, I had lots
of information, met many old friends, and even more new.

I now have faces with people I seem to have known for ages,
but never met. IIRC, I did not meet Australians, but I did meet
people from any other continent in the world.

Many thanks to the organizing team.

Also thanks to the people who wished me a safe trip home.
Your wishes worked, I just arrived home without problems.
I hope you arrive home soon, safe and without problems.

Regards,
Frans Vermeulen
Hannes ZieglerRe: Back home
on Sun, 18 Nov 2007 05:14:38 +0100
Frans,

I wonder if you got any information about "Arctica"

Quote:
"Alaska Software officially reveals "Arctica" at the European Devcon 2007 in
Berlin"
Endquote

I'd be interested in what the Arctica project is all about.

Thanks,
--
Hannes

"Frans Vermeulen" <fvermeulen@orange.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I want to thank the guys from Berlin for a great DevCon,
> You have done a lot of work, done a great job, I had lots
> of information, met many old friends, and even more new.
>
> I now have faces with people I seem to have known for ages,
> but never met. IIRC, I did not meet Australians, but I did meet
> people from any other continent in the world.
>
> Many thanks to the organizing team.
>
> Also thanks to the people who wished me a safe trip home.
> Your wishes worked, I just arrived home without problems.
> I hope you arrive home soon, safe and without problems.
>
> Regards,
> Frans Vermeulen

Frans Vermeulen Re: Back home
on Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:21:40 +0100
Hannes,

One of the remarks in the discussion at the end of the Devcon,
was that there was so/too much emphasis on new technologies,
and so/too little about the existing.

To some degree I could agree with that, but the first question
I see over here is about future technologies.

Arctica will be in the next major version.

IIRC, -it was the late afternoon session on wednesday-
the Arctica lecture started with an explanation of how the layering
of the database-access will be changed, in order to
get native SQL support in Xbase++, by using either SQL-servers
or simply by using dbf-tables.

Again, this was pretty dry and theoretical stuff, and I have seen
really a lot of things that I can use already tomorrow, so this subject
is a bit buried in my mind behind the other stuff.

Regards,
Frans Vermeulen

--
Pablo BotellaRe: Back home
on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:55:00 +0100

For me also this DevCon was a great experience. I've learn lot of things, meet friends and of course enjoy a lot. Thanks to Martin, Thomas and the rest of the german guys that made posible this Devcon. Also special thanks to Claudia that was put a lot of work helping the spanish-speaker people to prepare our sessions.
We have miss Phil Ide at this DevCon, so I hope he will be well now and hope to meet him at the next event.

Regards,
Pablo Botella
Donald R. KeatingRe: Back home
on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:29:26 -0500
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:55:00 +0100, Pablo Botella wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For me also this DevCon was a great experience. I've learn lot of things, meet friends and of course enjoy a lot. Thanks to Martin, Thomas and the rest of the german guys that made posible this Devcon. Also special thanks to Claudia that was put a lot of work helping the spanish-speaker people to prepare our sessions.
> We have miss Phil Ide at this DevCon, so I hope he will be well now and hope to meet him at the next event.
>
> Regards,
> Pablo Botella

Hi Y'all,

Mae and I arrived home about 1730 yesterday after a long, uneventful
flight.  We really enjoyed our trip but, as usual were glad to get home.

Thanks again to Thomas, Michael, Hubert, Claudia, Steffen, Andreas, Till
and anyone else I've left out for all the work, time and expertise expended
to put on such a fine conference.

Was good to renew old friendships and make new ones.  Mae's already asking
me when she'll be able to see the photos.

I picked up couple of ideas that may help me pay for the trip.