Alaska Software Inc. - Apps won't start...
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Apps won't start...
Thomas PoolApps won't start...
on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 15:59:14 +0200
Hi All,
Some customers report that after a Win10 update apps do not start
anymore... After doubleclick the icoon nothing happens...
Does anyone have an idea why this happens en what can be done about it?
Thanks & regards, Thomas
James LoughnerRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:16:14 -0400
On 07/14/2017 09:59 AM, Thomas Pool wrote:
> Hi All,
> Some customers report that after a Win10 update apps do not start
> anymore... After doubleclick the icoon nothing happens...
> Does anyone have an idea why this happens en what can be done about it?
> Thanks & regards, Thomas

As I understand it is fixed in latest Xbase++ update.

Creators update breaks things

Jim
Chris Carmac Re: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 15:14:35 -0400
On 7/14/2017 9:59 AM, Thomas Pool wrote:
> Hi All,
> Some customers report that after a Win10 update apps do not start
> anymore... After doubleclick the icoon nothing happens...
> Does anyone have an idea why this happens en what can be done about it?
> Thanks & regards, Thomas

Thomas,

Myself and some other people recently experienced similar issues.  You
might want to read through the responses to the post titled "Windows
Creator's update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps" I started on May 23rd
2017 in this newsgroup.

Download the latest Xbase++ version (2.00.807) from Alaska, recompile
your app with that version, and see if that fixes the problem. That's
the solution that was proposed in the other newsgroup thread.

Good luck!

Chris
Thomas PoolRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:04:06 +0200
Hello Chris,

Thanks for the hint!
I still use xBase version 1.90.
I don't think Alaska is going to publish a hotfix to solve this problem in
1.90.
One customer reported that after installing the creators update apps did'nt
start, but after rebooting his PC apps did start...

Regards, Thomas

Op Thu, 20 Jul 2017 15:14:35 -0400 schreef Chris Carmac:

> On 7/14/2017 9:59 AM, Thomas Pool wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Some customers report that after a Win10 update apps do not start
>> anymore... After doubleclick the icoon nothing happens...
>> Does anyone have an idea why this happens en what can be done about it?
>> Thanks & regards, Thomas
>>

> Thomas,
>
> Myself and some other people recently experienced similar issues.  You
> might want to read through the responses to the post titled "Windows
> Creator's update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps" I started on May 23rd
> 2017 in this newsgroup.
>
> Download the latest Xbase++ version (2.00.807) from Alaska, recompile
> your app with that version, and see if that fixes the problem. That's
> the solution that was proposed in the other newsgroup thread.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Chris
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:17:27 +0200
Thomas,

then hold your breath and read this carefully: Alaska Software will fix
this issue with 1.9SL1.

But please read this as well:
- we already "fixed" the issue with 2.0. I put "fixed" into quotation
marks because we have identified an issue with the Windows Creators
Update but are not sure if this is the only cause. It looks good, but
you never know.
- Microsoft changed an API for GUI resources requesting colors, brushes
and fonts to an erroneous behavior . We reported the error to
Microsoft but you never know if they will ever fix it. Until today we
have fixes in our runtime for errors coming since Vista.
- for Xbase++ 2.0 a fix was quite easy (as soon we nailed the issue down
to its cause), because Version 2.0 has a "DeferredResourceManager".
- 1.9SL1 does not have this "DeferredResourceManager" . So it is much
more time consuming to implement it in version 1.9SL1. We need to port
the Resource Manager to 1.9SL1. We expect the fix within a couple of weeks.

Why are we doing this? We are aware that we have customers who have 100s
(in concrete we have a customer with 900) remote installations which
cannot be migrated from Xbase+ 1.9SL1 to Xbase++ 2.0 so quick. And these
developers cannot control there customers which Windows version they are
using (and Microsoft more and more automates and forces their updates
without giving you a chance to control it).

BUT - this is a HUGE BUT - Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has never been tested and
released for Windows 10, even not for Windows 8/8.1. That it still works
is luck. Pure luck. Nothing more. It is a question of time when a next
update will harm your Xbase++ 1.9SL1 applications. So PLEASE update to
the latest of the greatest.

PLUS - this is important as well - only active Xbase++ 2.0 customers
will get that fix. The customer above with the 900 installations always
had Xbase++ 2.0; he just was not able to roll it our to his customers.

Hope you read it carefully: PLEASE PLEASE update Xbase++ to version 2.0!
And hope this a a bit good news for the weekend

Frank

On 21.07.2017 13:04, Thomas Pool wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> Thanks for the hint!
> I still use xBase version 1.90.
> I don't think Alaska is going to publish a hotfix to solve this problem in
> 1.90.
> One customer reported that after installing the creators update apps did'nt
> start, but after rebooting his PC apps did start...
>
> Regards, Thomas
>

> Op Thu, 20 Jul 2017 15:14:35 -0400 schreef Chris Carmac:
>
>> On 7/14/2017 9:59 AM, Thomas Pool wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> Some customers report that after a Win10 update apps do not start
>>> anymore... After doubleclick the icoon nothing happens...
>>> Does anyone have an idea why this happens en what can be done about it?
>>> Thanks & regards, Thomas
>>>

>> Thomas,
>>
>> Myself and some other people recently experienced similar issues.  You
>> might want to read through the responses to the post titled "Windows
>> Creator's update - trouble launching Xbase++ apps" I started on May 23rd
>> 2017 in this newsgroup.
>>
>> Download the latest Xbase++ version (2.00.807) from Alaska, recompile
>> your app with that version, and see if that fixes the problem. That's
>> the solution that was proposed in the other newsgroup thread.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Chris
Jim LeeRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 20:42:16 +0200
hi,

> - Microsoft changed an API for GUI resources requesting colors, brushes
> and fonts to an erroneous behavior . We reported the error to Microsoft
> but you never know if they will ever fix it. Until today we have fixes in
> our runtime for errors coming since Vista.

hm ...

1.) most Xbase++ App does NOT show that BUG !
2.) why other Language have not the Problem ?

so it is a old ( OS/2 ?) BUG in Xbase++ ?

as i was told it happend with 4K Monitor ?
Pascal BoivinRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 21:46:38 +0200
> PLUS - this is important as well - only active Xbase++ 2.0 customers
> will get that fix. The customer above with the 900 installations
> always had Xbase++ 2.0; he just was not able to roll it our to his
> customers.

That is good news!

I am another user of 1.9 with active 2.0 licence and tons of 1.9
softwares out there. Keep us informed on how to get this update.

Thank you
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:45:12 +0200
Pascal,

a first version of the 1.9SL1 patch is in beta and we are waiting for
feedback of these beta testers.

Just to let you know,

Frank

On 21.07.2017 21:46, Pascal Boivin wrote:
>> PLUS - this is important as well - only active Xbase++ 2.0 customers
>> will get that fix. The customer above with the 900 installations
>> always had Xbase++ 2.0; he just was not able to roll it our to his
>> customers.
>
> That is good news!
>
> I am another user of 1.9 with active 2.0 licence and tons of 1.9
> softwares out there. Keep us informed on how to get this update.
>
> Thank you

Thomas PoolRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:36:25 +0200
Hallo Frank,

Op Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:17:27 +0200 schreef Frank Grossheinrich:

> BUT - this is a HUGE BUT - Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has never been tested and
> released for Windows 10, even not for Windows 8/8.1.

Strange...

> That it still works is luck. Pure luck. Nothing more. >

Luck? Windows updates are backwards compatible.....

> It is a question of time when a next
> update will harm your Xbase++ 1.9SL1 applications.

That remains to be seen...

> So PLEASE update to the latest of the greatest.

> PLUS - this is important as well - only active Xbase++ 2.0 customers
> will get that fix. The customer above with the 900 installations always
> had Xbase++ 2.0; he just was not able to roll it our to his customers.

So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ? What would you say when
your garage told you to buy a new car because of a flat tire ?
For me there was and is no need, except for some minor points, to upgrade
to 2.00. My apps work fine with 1.9. I do have 10K+ installations. Does
that make things different?

> Hope you read it carefully: PLEASE PLEASE update Xbase++ to version 2.0!
> And hope this a a bit good news for the weekend

Well, what shall I say? That it may take weeks to fix an urgent bug is no
good news...

Kind regards, Thomas
Edgar Borger Re: Apps won't start...
on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 10:35:52 -0300
I second all of that Thomas !

Em 21/07/2017 18:36, Thomas Pool escreveu:

> Hallo Frank,
>
> Op Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:17:27 +0200 schreef Frank Grossheinrich:
>
>> BUT - this is a HUGE BUT - Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has never been tested and
>> released for Windows 10, even not for Windows 8/8.1.
>
> Strange...
>
>> That it still works is luck. Pure luck. Nothing more. >
>
> Luck? Windows updates are backwards compatible.....
>
>> It is a question of time when a next
>> update will harm your Xbase++ 1.9SL1 applications.
>
> That remains to be seen...
>
>> So PLEASE update to the latest of the greatest.
>
>> PLUS - this is important as well - only active Xbase++ 2.0 customers
>> will get that fix. The customer above with the 900 installations always
>> had Xbase++ 2.0; he just was not able to roll it our to his customers.
>
> So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ? What would you say when
> your garage told you to buy a new car because of a flat tire ?
> For me there was and is no need, except for some minor points, to upgrade
> to 2.00. My apps work fine with 1.9. I do have 10K+ installations. Does
> that make things different?
>
>> Hope you read it carefully: PLEASE PLEASE update Xbase++ to version 2.0!
>> And hope this a a bit good news for the weekend
>
> Well, what shall I say? That it may take weeks to fix an urgent bug is no
> good news...
>
> Kind regards, Thomas

Edgar Borger
Softsupply Informatica Ltda.
Rua Alagoas, 48
Sao Paulo, SP
01242-000
Tel   : (5511) 3159-1997
Email : softsupply@terra.com.br
Anand GuptaRe: Apps won't start...
on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:43:59 +0200
+1
I also agree to Thomas.

Anand

Edgar Borger <eborger@terra.com.br> wrote in message
>I second all of that Thomas !
>

>Em 21/07/2017 18:36, Thomas Pool escreveu:
>>
>> Hallo Frank,
>>
>> Op Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:17:27 +0200 schreef Frank Grossheinrich:
>>
>>> BUT - this is a HUGE BUT - Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has never been tested and
>>> released for Windows 10, even not for Windows 8/8.1.
>>
>> Strange...
>>
>>> That it still works is luck. Pure luck. Nothing more. >
>>
>> Luck? Windows updates are backwards compatible.....
>>
>>> It is a question of time when a next
>>> update will harm your Xbase++ 1.9SL1 applications.
>>
>> That remains to be seen...
>>
>>> So PLEASE update to the latest of the greatest.
>>
>>> PLUS - this is important as well - only active Xbase++ 2.0 customers
>>> will get that fix. The customer above with the 900 installations always
>>> had Xbase++ 2.0; he just was not able to roll it our to his customers.
>>
>> So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ? What would you say when
>> your garage told you to buy a new car because of a flat tire ?
>> For me there was and is no need, except for some minor points, to upgrade
>> to 2.00. My apps work fine with 1.9. I do have 10K+ installations. Does
>> that make things different?
>>
>>> Hope you read it carefully: PLEASE PLEASE update Xbase++ to version 2.0!
>>> And hope this a a bit good news for the weekend
>>
>> Well, what shall I say? That it may take weeks to fix an urgent bug is no
>> good news...
>>
>> Kind regards, Thomas

Carlos Re: Apps won't start...
on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:47:29 +0100
Hi,
-1
The origin of the problem on discontinued v1.9 is MS...
It is almost certain that all us do the same as AS.
Carlos

Às 12:43 de 25/07/2017, Anand Gupta escreveu:
> +1
> I also agree to Thomas.
>
> Anand
>

> Edgar Borger <eborger@terra.com.br> wrote in message
>> I second all of that Thomas !
>>

>> Em 21/07/2017 18:36, Thomas Pool escreveu:
>>>
>>> Hallo Frank,

>>> Strange...

>>> Luck? Windows updates are backwards compatible.....

>>> That remains to be seen...

>>> So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ? What would you say when
>>> your garage told you to buy a new car because of a flat tire ?
>>> For me there was and is no need, except for some minor points, to upgrade
>>> to 2.00. My apps work fine with 1.9. I do have 10K+ installations. Does
>>> that make things different?

>>> Well, what shall I say? That it may take weeks to fix an urgent bug is no
>>> good news...
>>>
>>> Kind regards, Thomas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Apps won't start...
on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 14:18:54 -0400
Thomas, Edgar, Anand,

>So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ? What would you say when
>your garage told you to buy a new car because of a flat tire ?

Your analogy isn't really valid. A more appropriate analogy would be to buy
a car that requires leaded gas and complain to the manufacturer many years
later that it isn't compatible with the current lead-free ethanol-containing
gasoline. If you want to continue to drive that older model, you will need
to buy additives, not expect the manufacturer to replace the engine with a
newer model for free.

As a software developer yourself, do you sell your software for a one-time
fee with unlimited, perpetual support, updates, new features, and bug fixes?
Most software vendors either sell a specific product version (sometimes with
a limited time, often one-year, free upgrade option) or they utilize a
subscription model, with updates available only during the subscription
time-frame. Alaska Software offers both options.

I don't know if your problem is with the amount -- 500 euros -- or the fact
that you don't get unlimited, free updates and product fixes, including for
unsupported Operating Systems, which didn't even exist when you originally
purchased the product. If the amount seems too high to you, consider that
it's less than 5 cents each for your 10K+ installations, which seems quite
reasonable to me.

Just my 2 cents,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Boris BorzicRe: Apps won't start...
on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 22:12:46 +0200
I agree completely.

Don't know how anyone can expect free updates to a product that is now 8
years old. Note that these are not even "bug fixes" since the problem never
existed in the older (supported) operating systems.

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote in

>>So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ? What would you say
>>when your garage told you to buy a new car because of a flat tire ?
>
> Your analogy isn't really valid. A more appropriate analogy would be
> to buy a car that requires leaded gas and complain to the manufacturer
> many years later that it isn't compatible with the current lead-free
> ethanol-containing gasoline. If you want to continue to drive that
> older model, you will need to buy additives, not expect the
> manufacturer to replace the engine with a newer model for free.
>
> As a software developer yourself, do you sell your software for a
> one-time fee with unlimited, perpetual support, updates, new features,
> and bug fixes? Most software vendors either sell a specific product
> version (sometimes with a limited time, often one-year, free upgrade
> option) or they utilize a subscription model, with updates available
> only during the subscription time-frame. Alaska Software offers both
> options.
>
> I don't know if your problem is with the amount -- 500 euros -- or the
> fact that you don't get unlimited, free updates and product fixes,
> including for unsupported Operating Systems, which didn't even exist
> when you originally purchased the product. If the amount seems too
> high to you, consider that it's less than 5 cents each for your 10K+
> installations, which seems quite reasonable to me.
Ingo Steinbuechel Re: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:07:05 +0200
Hi,

"Boris Borzic" <Boris Borzic> schrieb:

> Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote in
>> [...]
> I agree completely.

+1

> Don't know how anyone can expect free updates to a product that is now 8
> years old. Note that these are not even "bug fixes" since the problem never
> existed in the older (supported) operating systems.

Regards Ingo
Jim LeeRe: Apps won't start...
on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 23:34:29 +0200
>A more appropriate analogy would be to buy a car

perhaps a German DIESEL ...

does it make sence that even Alaska Demo does not start on one PC with Win
10 1703 but on other (Hardware) PC ?
if M$ have change it in this Way like Frank++ say every Xbase++ App must
fail but i have no Problem (no 4k Monitor).

@Frank++ : so how can i produce the Error ?
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:57:54 +0200
Jim,

there is no re-build-that-issue-tutorial. The error is randomly. A
reboot can change the behavior. We have a VM where the error "sometimes"
occurs. This is why we are doing a small beta with the patch.

Regards, Frank

On 26.07.2017 23:34, Jim Lee wrote:
>> A more appropriate analogy would be to buy a car
>
> perhaps a German DIESEL ...
>
> does it make sence that even Alaska Demo does not start on one PC with Win
> 10 1703 but on other (Hardware) PC ?
> if M$ have change it in this Way like Frank++ say every Xbase++ App must
> fail but i have no Problem (no 4k Monitor).
>
> @Frank++ : so how can i produce the Error ?

Jim LeeRe: Apps won't start...
on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 23:44:47 +0200
hi,

> there is no re-build-that-issue-tutorial. The error is randomly. A reboot
> can change the behavior. We have a VM where the error "sometimes" occurs.
> This is why we are doing a small beta with the patch.

how much is "sometimes" = 1/ 1000 ?
i have run my Xbase++ App more than 1000 times since install 1703 when it
was released on my Work PC.

even in a VM what Environment trend to produce the Error ?

PDR 6904 say :
Try to change the custom scaling factor. What scaling factor to use can not
be predicted.

other say you need a Monitor > FullHD like 4K

Question : does it happend on 32bit Windows 1703 too or only with 64bit OS()
?
Thomas BraunRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:05:33 +0200
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote:

> If the amount seems too high to you, consider that
> it's less than 5 cents each for your 10K+ installations, which seems quite
> reasonable to me.

This is of course only valid if he doesn't use the following model...

> a one-time fee with unlimited, perpetual support, updates, new features,
> and bug fixes

...but has a continuous revenue stream coming in from his existing
customers in form of update purchases or support contracts

Thomas
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 14:08:29 +0200
Thomas,
(and all those seconders, Anand, Edgar, Carlos, ...)

first of all: I need to apologize that it took so long with my answer.
Not you had to hold your breath but me. I was so surprised about your
answer that I needed a few days newsgroup-off.

>> BUT - this is a HUGE BUT - Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has never been tested and
>> released for Windows 10, even not for Windows 8/8.1.
>
> Strange...
What is strange here? When Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has been released (this was
21st of April in 2009) these operating systems did not exist. So none of
them have been verified with Xbase++ 1.9SL1.

Again: LUCK!

>> That it still works is luck. Pure luck. Nothing more. >
>
> Luck? Windows updates are backwards compatible.....
This was the thing I needed a few days off ... First of all I had to ask
me if I am still on planet Earth? But I am.

Is this serious? You cannot expect - and I do not want to defend
Microsoft ... far away - from Microsoft that they guarantee a backward
compatibility. I even dare to say that they want to have such backward
compatibility, but they do not guarantee it and they fail with every
update. This is why they update their products as well; not only for
feature reasons.

>> It is a question of time when a next
>> update will harm your Xbase++ 1.9SL1 applications.
>
> That remains to be seen...
I had a look at your website ... you are officially offering your
Xbase++ 1.9SL1 applications for Windows 10/8/... . Respect to your
braveness.

My warning about forthcoming Windows updates was just a rough guess.
Microsoft is changing things regularly. Sometimes for good, sometimes to
bad. The important things is that your vendor is still in business. So
you need a tool vendor who is in business and can adapt their tool to
the new challenges. And Alaska does. This is what this thread is all
about. We even now do for Xbase++ 1.9SL1, but for reasons which I
explained earlier.

> So, to obtain a bug fix I have to pay 500 euro ?
No. Your subscription expired 7 years ago, so you need to pay 995€ for
that patch. Which is not a bug fix from our side. Windows has the bug.
We do need to overcome this bug which is our patch. And the fix still
does not guarantee Xbase++ 1.9SL1 to run officially on Windows 10. It
should just help on the (very) short run. To give you the chance to
update your customers to a maintained product, Xbase++ 2.0.

Note: my private PC at my home does not start iTunes since the Creators
Update.

I recommend to run your applications in a Windows 7 VM and stick with
Xbase++ 1.9SL1. All others should buy into updates, at least every now
and than. And if it were for update reasons and not for feature reasons.

Regards,
Frank
Thomas PoolRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 17:31:40 +0200
Dear Frank,

I did'nt intend to make you upset, it's just a customers opinion...

Some points:
1. Privacy

> Your subscription expired 7 years ago

It may be out of angryness, but you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT publish private
customer data on the NG!!

The reason I stopped payments is the disastrous update management: 8 years
not publishing updates! Why should I go on paying while nothing new is
published?

2. Usage period of software

> Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has been released (this was 21st of April in 2009)

When I buy a car, TV or kitchen machine a expect to use it for a 10 or 15
years. Shouldn't this count for software? In case of cars: manufacturers
are obliged to produce spare parts until 15 years after stop producing a
model...

For this reason I don't charge for updates of my apps.

The xBase 1.9 license has no time limit. You can't blame customers to keep
on using it as long as possible... If you want regular income introduce a
time limited licence or at leased publish updates frequently to encourage
customers to pay.

3. Bug fix

> so you need to pay 995€ for that patch.

I was mistaken: I don't have to pay 500 but 1000 euro for a patch!
It's not about the money, but I repeat: why should I pay 1000 euro for
software that does the same as the software that I already have?
By not publishing a hotfix for 1.9 your are putting 1.9 users a knive on
the throat, and that is not very friendly towards customers. And by forcing
customers to switch over to 2.00 a lot of work (installing, testing,
corrections, publishing) must be done before apps compiled with 2.00 can be
published. While things may get urgent...

Sooner or later one has to upgrade to 2.00. You might publish a date after
which 1.9 will not be mantained/supported anymore, like MS does.

4. Business

I realize AS needs money to keep the stove burning, and that we developers
are depending on your work to be able to use this nice development tool in
the future. But please change your commercial tactics so you can rely on a
regular income and incidents like this fix-discussion get superfluous.

Kind regards, Thomas J. Pool
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:27:02 +0200
Thomas,

> I did'nt intend to make you upset, it's just a customers opinion...
You did not upset me, I was speechless.

> Some points:
> 1. Privacy
Correct. You have that point. I apologize.

> The reason I stopped payments is the disastrous update management: 8 years
> not publishing updates! Why should I go on paying while nothing new is
> published?
I also do understand that point. To some extent. There were updates but
too few. On the other hand these updates had many new features and were
not simply updates. But exactly when you left the Xbase++ boat we
changed our update policy year by year and we are now at 10 updates per
year. With fixes, with new features, with ... We are at build 816 as of
today and a new update is on the road.

> 2. Usage period of software
>
>> Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has been released (this was 21st of April in 2009)
>
> When I buy a car, TV or kitchen machine a expect to use it for a 10 or 15
> years. Shouldn't this count for software? In case of cars: manufacturers
> are obliged to produce spare parts until 15 years after stop producing a
> model...
1) you have to pay for the spare parts! And prices are not from planet
Earth most times. Your guarantee expires after 2 years.
2) if i.e. government does not allow driving Diesels, then you have a
nice car but are not allowed to drive it.
3) software is a faster business then automotive. So expecting a
software to run for more than 3-5 years (without any change/update) is
not realistic.

> The xBase 1.9
LOCAL cProperProductName := Upper( „X“ ) + Lower( „base++“ )
? cProperProductName

> license has no time limit.
Neither has 2.0. There is no must. But I recommend to stay updated.

> I was mistaken: I don't have to pay 500 but 1000 euro for a patch!
> It's not about the money, but I repeat: why should I pay 1000 euro for
> software that does the same as the software that I already have?
It does not do the same! It has been adapted to any of the new Windows
PC or Server operating systems. It has approx 400 fixed PDRs since
Xbase++ 1.9SL1. And I am NOT talking about new features.

> Sooner or later one has to upgrade to 2.00. You might publish a date after
> which 1.9 will not be mantained/supported anymore, like MS does.
1.9SL1 and all earlier versions have gone out of maintenance since 12
months after release of 2.0. 1.9SL1 has reached EOL since months not to
say years.

> I realize AS needs money to keep the stove burning,
Every company does. Of course us as well.

> and that we developers
> are depending on your work to be able to use this nice development tool in
> the future. But please change your commercial tactics so you can rely on a
> regular income and incidents like this fix-discussion get superfluous.
I do not understand that part. Of course we rely on regular income. But
this is not new. And this is not bad news. And THANK YOU to all our
customers who are regularly subscribing to Xbase++. With their trust in
our company and products they pay me/us to keep Xbase++ up and running.
And they even pay that there is us who can answer your complaints and
Xbase++ is not a dead end.

All is said.

Frank
Jonathan LeemingRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:58:18 -0600
Agreed!!!

On 7/27/2017 10:27 AM, Frank Grossheinrich wrote:
> [...]
> months after release of 2.0. 1.9SL1 has reached EOL since months not to
> say years.
>
>> I realize AS needs money to keep the stove burning,
> Every company does. Of course us as well.
>
>> and that we developers
>> are depending on your work to be able to use this nice development
>> tool in
>> the future. But please change your commercial tactics so you can rely
>> on a
>> regular income and incidents like this fix-discussion get superfluous.
> I do not understand that part. Of course we rely on regular income. But
> this is not new. And this is not bad news. And THANK YOU to all our
> customers who are regularly subscribing to Xbase++. With their trust in
> our company and products they pay me/us to keep Xbase++ up and running.
> And they even pay that there is us who can answer your complaints and

on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:00:34 +0200
Hallo Frank,

> All is said.

Almost...

> By not publishing a hotfix for 1.9 your are putting 1.9 users a knive on
> the throat, and that is not very friendly towards customers. And by forcing
> customers to switch over to 2.00 a lot of work (installing, testing,
> corrections, publishing) must be done before apps compiled with 2.00 can be
> published. While things may get urgent...

What is your opinion about this?

Kind regards, Thomas

Op Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:27:02 +0200 schreef Frank Grossheinrich:

> [...]
>
>> I realize AS needs money to keep the stove burning,
> Every company does. Of course us as well.
>
>> and that we developers
>> are depending on your work to be able to use this nice development tool in
>> the future. But please change your commercial tactics so you can rely on a
>> regular income and incidents like this fix-discussion get superfluous.
> I do not understand that part. Of course we rely on regular income. But
> this is not new. And this is not bad news. And THANK YOU to all our
> customers who are regularly subscribing to Xbase++. With their trust in
> our company and products they pay me/us to keep Xbase++ up and running.
> And they even pay that there is us who can answer your complaints and
> Xbase++ is not a dead end.
>
> All is said.
>
> Frank
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:52:58 +0200
Thomas,

that was said ... at least in other words ...
>> By not publishing a hotfix for 1.9 your are putting 1.9 users a knive on
>> the throat, and that is not very friendly towards customers. And by forcing
>> customers to switch over to 2.00 a lot of work (installing, testing,
>> corrections, publishing) must be done before apps compiled with 2.00 can be
>> published. While things may get urgent...
>
> What is your opinion about this?
There is no knife at your throat! The opposite is the case: Alaska
Software took the time (instead doing things for their paying 2.0
customers) to provide a patch for an ancient version of Xbase++. We are
buying time for you. We want to help those customers who cannot deploy
and update hundreds of installations. In the end it is just buying time.

Of course you need to test your application with 2.0 and you need to
publish it with your customers. This is what we cannot take from your neck.

And buying this time requires an active Xbase++ 2.0
subscription/license. In your case 995€ with full Technical Support for
12 months. So this is worth a try if Xbase++ 2.0 can run your 1.9SL1
code. Without any modification.

But you have it all in your hands: control your customers NOT to install
Windows 10 and you are not in that situation; stick with 1.9SL1.

Case closed for me,
Frank

> [...]
>> months after release of 2.0. 1.9SL1 has reached EOL since months not to
>> say years.
>>
>>> I realize AS needs money to keep the stove burning,
>> Every company does. Of course us as well.
>>
>>> and that we developers
>>> are depending on your work to be able to use this nice development tool in
>>> the future. But please change your commercial tactics so you can rely on a
>>> regular income and incidents like this fix-discussion get superfluous.
>> I do not understand that part. Of course we rely on regular income. But
>> this is not new. And this is not bad news. And THANK YOU to all our
>> customers who are regularly subscribing to Xbase++. With their trust in
>> our company and products they pay me/us to keep Xbase++ up and running.
>> And they even pay that there is us who can answer your complaints and

on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 13:33:49 +0200
Op Fri, 21 Jul 2017 18:17:27 +0200 schreef Frank Grossheinrich:

Hello Frank,

> then hold your breath and read this carefully: Alaska Software will fix
> this issue with 1.9SL1.

Any idea when the fix will be available?

Regards, Thomas
Jim LeeRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 21:36:07 +0200
> Any idea when the fix will be available?

have you try change scaleing to 100% or 150% ( NOT 125% )
you also can try change resulution e.g. 1600x1200 -> 125% -> 1280x960
Jim LeeRe: Apps won't start...
on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 23:13:04 +0200
> Some customers report that after a Win10 update apps do not start
> anymore... After doubleclick the icoon nothing happens...

do you know what Theme they are using ?
default AERO Theme or other ?
Zupan Miran Re: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 14:38:13 +0200
My 2 cents for the financial model:
1. - upgrade for all 1.9 SL1 user (with or without valid subscription)
I named it 1.9 SL2
Price: 300-500 EUR (please, be gentle ... he he)
2. - option for upgrade from upgraded 1.9 SL2 user to 2.0 when we (or I)
need it
Price: 500 EUR

3. user who didnt upgrade to 1.9 SL2 must pay full price for 2.0 (995 EUR)

Miran Zupan
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:04:19 +0200
Miran,

thank you for your thoughts.
I am honest: we do not want to provide such a model.

I explain: this is impossible for us. Xbase++ 1.9SL1 has NEVER been
released for Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10. We have fixes in Xbase++ 2.0
for these OSes as well. If we would offer such a model we would need -
at least I as a customer would expect that - to guarantee Xbase++ 1.9SL1
(or SL2 like you named it) to work with all those operating systems.
Again: that your 1.9 applications still run on these OSes is luck. And
we do not want to challenge this luck

Xbase++ 2.0 is tested and verified for all Windows OSes up to the latest
ones.

Spending these 300-500€ for a SL2 is money down the drain. We give it
for free to active Xbase++ 2.0 subscriptions.

Regards, Frank

Our patch is just and simply buying time

On 28.07.2017 14:38, Zupan Miran wrote:
> My 2 cents for the financial model:
> 1. - upgrade for all 1.9 SL1 user (with or without valid subscription)
> I named it 1.9 SL2
> Price: 300-500 EUR (please, be gentle ... he he)
> 2. - option for upgrade from upgraded 1.9 SL2 user to 2.0 when we (or I)
> need it
> Price: 500 EUR
>
> 3. user who didnt upgrade to 1.9 SL2 must pay full price for 2.0 (995 EUR)
>
> Miran Zupan
Anand GuptaRe: Apps won't start...
on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 12:48:04 +0200
Good Day.

Thomas started this thread to get some help for his customer problem.
But this thread has turned into "we" and "they".

My name was mentioned twice and I have been put in "they".

I salute Thomas for trying in vain to make "we" understand the problem of the
customers.

Long story short.

1. "we" have full right to earn for MS mistake and customer problems.
2. "we" are not asking for "they" to pay, but "they" need to pay if want solution.

I fully agree with "we". Thomas is also not against it. He just wanted a quick
solution for the existing customers problem, if possible.

Further, to make "they" look "not good" Thomas subscription details were
published here. I request "we" to publish my subscription details too. Why
should Thomas alone be showed in bad light, for no fault of his. Asking for
help is no crime. And also not being able to maintain subscription is no crime.

I have downloaded Xbase++ 2.0, "we" have the details when they send me the
link and can publish it here.

After running through it and reading about it in this forum I found that 2.0
breaks 3rd Party libraries (no names please). Some are ready to give update
for 2.0 but yes "they" have to pay for it. Nothing wrong here.
Unfortunately there are some 3rd party libraries whose developer are not in
this Earth or are not available. In these cases our whole application has to
be re-written without those libraries.

I like to take Clayton Jones name here. He was the most generous person I have
known and it was his TopDown library which helped me to develop my
applications in Xbase++. He remained generous in his last days too and has
released his full TopDown library as free for all.
Thanks you Clayton, I miss you.

Please do not take the above for any reference for "we". "they" understand
that "they" have to pay if they want solution.

I hope there will be no personal pointing in future in this Forum. Nobody is
perfect and every one has his/her limitations. Just because one can not afford
the riches he/she does not become wrong.

Since I understand that eventually I will have to re-write my application
Xbase++ 2.0 or not. I have started looking around the Earth hope to find some
solution for our customers problem.

Regards,

Anand
Zupan Miran Re: Apps won't start...
on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 09:58:56 +0200
Yes
+100

I also work with TopDown lib ...
And I know that I eventually will have to RE-WRITEN all my applications
if I want to work with Xbase++ 2.0
I don't know ... maybe.

Best regards to all
Miran Zupan

---
Ta e-pošta je bila pregledana z Avast protivirusnim programom.
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 03 Aug 2017 18:26:44 +0200
Miran,

I do not get the message??
TopDown is open source and Xbase++ PRG code. So just recompile and link
it and you are at any version you like.
So where do you have to re-write your application for migration reasons?
For working with Xbase++ 2.0?

Please advise.

And yes, when you are using more 3rd party LIBs these "may" be updated.
Depending if they come with full source code or not. Many come with
source. You cannot link 1.9 OBJ/LIB to Xbase++ 2.0 EXE, right.
But I am sure all 3rd party vendors are offering a 2.0 version (if they
do not provide full source).

Regards, Frank

On 30.07.2017 09:58, Zupan Miran wrote:
> Yes
> +100
>
> I also work with TopDown lib ...
> And I know that I eventually will have to RE-WRITEN all my applications
> if I want to work with Xbase++ 2.0
> I don't know ... maybe.
>
> Best regards to all
> Miran Zupan
>

> ---
> Ta e-pošta je bila pregledana z Avast protivirusnim programom.

Raymond FischbachRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 03 Aug 2017 22:51:32 +0200
Frank Grossheinrich a présenté l'énoncé suivant :
> Miran,
>
> I do not get the message??
> TopDown is open source and Xbase++ PRG code. So just recompile and link it
> and you are at any version you like.
> So where do you have to re-write your application for migration reasons? For
> working with Xbase++ 2.0?
>
> Please advise.
>
> And yes, when you are using more 3rd party LIBs these "may" be updated.
> Depending if they come with full source code or not. Many come with source.
> You cannot link 1.9 OBJ/LIB to Xbase++ 2.0 EXE, right.
> But I am sure all 3rd party vendors are offering a 2.0 version (if they do
> not provide full source).
>
> Regards, Frank
>
> On 30.07.2017 09:58, Zupan Miran wrote:
>> Yes
>> +100
>>
>> I also work with TopDown lib ...
>> And I know that I eventually will have to RE-WRITEN all my applications
>> if I want to work with Xbase++ 2.0
>> I don't know ... maybe.
>>
>> Best regards to all
>> Miran Zupan
>>

>> ---
>> Ta e-pošta je bila pregledana z Avast protivirusnim programom.

++1
Raymond
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Apps won't start...
on Thu, 03 Aug 2017 18:18:19 +0200
Anand,

 > Thomas started this thread to get some help for his customer problem.
And he/you/they got help. There will be a patch for a
"dead"-not-yet-anymore-supported Xbase++ 1.9SL1 version.

All the rest is
... should I still use that version?
... do I have to pay so much?
... do I have to pay anyhow?
... should Alaska Software ...

I leave that to the community. All is said.

Regards, Frank

On 29.07.2017 12:48, Anand Gupta wrote:
> Good Day.
>
> Thomas started this thread to get some help for his customer problem.
> But this thread has turned into "we" and "they".
>
> My name was mentioned twice and I have been put in "they".
>
> I salute Thomas for trying in vain to make "we" understand the problem of the
> customers.
>
> Long story short.
>
> 1. "we" have full right to earn for MS mistake and customer problems.
> 2. "we" are not asking for "they" to pay, but "they" need to pay if want solution.
>
> I fully agree with "we". Thomas is also not against it. He just wanted a quick
> solution for the existing customers problem, if possible.
>
> Further, to make "they" look "not good" Thomas subscription details were
> published here. I request "we" to publish my subscription details too. Why
> should Thomas alone be showed in bad light, for no fault of his. Asking for
> help is no crime. And also not being able to maintain subscription is no crime.
>
> I have downloaded Xbase++ 2.0, "we" have the details when they send me the
> link and can publish it here.
>
> After running through it and reading about it in this forum I found that 2.0
> breaks 3rd Party libraries (no names please). Some are ready to give update
> for 2.0 but yes "they" have to pay for it. Nothing wrong here.
> Unfortunately there are some 3rd party libraries whose developer are not in
> this Earth or are not available. In these cases our whole application has to
> be re-written without those libraries.
>
> I like to take Clayton Jones name here. He was the most generous person I have
> known and it was his TopDown library which helped me to develop my
> applications in Xbase++. He remained generous in his last days too and has
> released his full TopDown library as free for all.
> Thanks you Clayton, I miss you.
>
> Please do not take the above for any reference for "we". "they" understand
> that "they" have to pay if they want solution.
>
> I hope there will be no personal pointing in future in this Forum. Nobody is
> perfect and every one has his/her limitations. Just because one can not afford
> the riches he/she does not become wrong.
>
> Since I understand that eventually I will have to re-write my application
> Xbase++ 2.0 or not. I have started looking around the Earth hope to find some
> solution for our customers problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anand

Anand GuptaRe: Apps won't start...
on Fri, 04 Aug 2017 13:00:10 +0200
Frank Grossheinrich wrote in message
>Anand,
>
> > Thomas started this thread to get some help for his customer problem.
>And he/you/they got help. There will be a patch for a
>"dead"-not-yet-anymore-supported Xbase++ 1.9SL1 version.
>
>All the rest is
>... should I still use that version?
>... do I have to pay so much?
>... do I have to pay anyhow?
>... should Alaska Software ...
>
>I leave that to the community. All is said.
>
>Regards, Frank

Thank you Frank for understanding my problem.

Regards,

Anand