Alaska Software Inc. - Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
Chris Carmac Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:37:59 -0500
Dear friends of the Xbase++ developer community,

It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton
Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.

When I first started working with Xbase++ in 2001, I spent a week in
West Palm Beach, FL training with Clayton. He was a great teacher and
mentor.  Learning of his death was quite a blow to me.  I can imagine
how Luke Skywalker felt after Yoda died.

Clayton was a very humble and soft-spoken man, generous and kind to
everyone who knew him.  He thought deeply and intelligently about
things, and was always quick to enjoy a good laugh with friends. He
lived a simple life.  His main hobbies were amateur (ham) radio, and
playing old-time folk music on the banjo, guitar, and other instruments.
He also taught music to kids in his neighborhood, and was frequently
involved in his church.

Clayton was a very gifted programmer, and a big supporter of the Xbase++
community.  His development tools were used by people all over the
world. Many of us attended his seminars at the various Xbase++
programming conferences throughout the years.

In his will, Clayton expressed the desire for his software development
tools to be placed in the public domain for free use by other
developers.  The will also specified that I be assigned this task.  The
four products that will be distributed are the Topdown function library,
the X-Memo library (a DBF replacemnet for DBT/FPT memo files), the
Spell-X spell checker library, and the X-DBU database utility.

I am currently in contact with some friends of Clayton's who are helping
to settle his estate.  After I receive the source code from them, I will
attempt to find sites who would be willing to host the source code. My
first two contacts will be Alaska Software and www.xbaseprogrammer.com.
  If anyone knows of any other sites that might be a good host for the
code, please let me know.  Once the source code has been made available,
I will post more information about where you can download it.

A memorial service for Clayton is scheduled for 10am Eastern time on
March 19th, 2016 at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in West Palm Beach, FL.

Clayton was a good man, and will be sorely missed.

Sincerely,

Chris Carmac
Asheboro, NC
ccarmac@triad.rr.com
Jonathan LeemingRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Thu, 10 Mar 2016 20:36:05 -0700
My association with Clayton started in April 2010 when I was
investigating options for porting my application from Clipper to
something "more current".  I decided to invest in Claytons TopDown and
have no regrets.  It was not until I first attended the Southwest
Xbase conference in October 2012 that I had the privilege to meet with
Clayton.  Originally he was going to have a pre-conference session
that I had planned to attend but that was cancelled and I had the
opportunity to book Clayton for one-on-one the entire day to review my
progress and for Clayton to offer suggestions.   It was a day that I
will remember as Clayton respectfully offered his opinions &
suggestions… some things were "interesting" and some concepts he might
consider for future TopDown releases.

With Clayton I remember how he was always so very helpful with problem
resolutions… On occasions I would email him with a certain problem
that I was trying to resolve and my anticipated approach.  I was not
looking for a solutions but rather if my approarch made sense. Clayton
would always respond in a such a timely manner that solicited the
comment from my wife... "I only have one question for him... is he
married?".

Clayton was someone who definitely supported a fellow developer
(albeit this developer is a much lower level) whose presence in our
community will certainly be missed... both for his talent but also for
his compassion & support!

I for one will certainly miss you Clayton.

With My Deepest Regards... Jonathan
Miran ZupanRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 11 Mar 2016 12:15:36 +0100
I started with TD 3.2 from 2002 to learn xBase++ from Clayton source
and samples
Basically, he learn me everything about xBase ...

With My Deepest Regards
Miran Zupan
Slovenia

---
Ta e-pošta je bila pregledana z Avast protivirusnim programom.
Edgar Borger Re: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:36:23 -0300
I had contact with Clayton a few years ago about adapting his TopDown lib to work together with my XbpPDF Class, at the beginning he was not convinced
of the idea, but after a few email changes he agreed to do it, and became very happy that he did it. I latter went to the US, and visited him in his
home, we remained in contact for many years... he will be missed.

My deepest regards to all of his friends and family.
Edgar

Em 10/03/2016 19:37, Chris Carmac escreveu:
> Dear friends of the Xbase++ developer community,
>
> It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.
>
> When I first started working with Xbase++ in 2001, I spent a week in West Palm Beach, FL training with Clayton. He was a great teacher and mentor.
> Learning of his death was quite a blow to me.  I can imagine how Luke Skywalker felt after Yoda died.
>
> Clayton was a very humble and soft-spoken man, generous and kind to everyone who knew him.  He thought deeply and intelligently about things, and was
> always quick to enjoy a good laugh with friends. He lived a simple life.  His main hobbies were amateur (ham) radio, and playing old-time folk music
> on the banjo, guitar, and other instruments. He also taught music to kids in his neighborhood, and was frequently involved in his church.
>
> Clayton was a very gifted programmer, and a big supporter of the Xbase++ community.  His development tools were used by people all over the world.
> Many of us attended his seminars at the various Xbase++ programming conferences throughout the years.
>
> In his will, Clayton expressed the desire for his software development tools to be placed in the public domain for free use by other developers.  The
> will also specified that I be assigned this task.  The four products that will be distributed are the Topdown function library, the X-Memo library (a
> DBF replacemnet for DBT/FPT memo files), the Spell-X spell checker library, and the X-DBU database utility.
>
> I am currently in contact with some friends of Clayton's who are helping to settle his estate.  After I receive the source code from them, I will
> attempt to find sites who would be willing to host the source code. My first two contacts will be Alaska Software and www.xbaseprogrammer.com.  If
> anyone knows of any other sites that might be a good host for the code, please let me know.  Once the source code has been made available, I will post
> more information about where you can download it.
>
> A memorial service for Clayton is scheduled for 10am Eastern time on March 19th, 2016 at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in West Palm Beach, FL.
>
> Clayton was a good man, and will be sorely missed.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Carmac
> Asheboro, NC
> ccarmac@triad.rr.com

Edgar Borger
Softsupply Informatica Ltda.
Rua Alagoas, 48
Sao Paulo, SP
01242-000
Tel : (5511) 3159-1997
Fax : (5511) 3255-5224
Thomas BraunRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 11 Mar 2016 15:05:27 +0100
Chris Carmac wrote:

> It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton
> Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.

This is very sad news indeed... Clayton has always been a very kind and
helpful meber of our small community and his 3rd party products have
clearly helped keeping Xbase++ as a product alive.

> In his will, Clayton expressed the desire for his software development
> tools to be placed in the public domain for free use by other
> developers.

This is good news for all users of Claytons fabulous products!

> After I receive the source code from them, I will
> attempt to find sites who would be willing to host the source code. My
> first two contacts will be Alaska Software and www.xbaseprogrammer.com.
> If anyone knows of any other sites that might be a good host for the
> code, please let me know.

I would not scatter the code over multiple locations - if this is going to
be open source, it should go to a single platform like GitHub where people
also are able to submit valuable changes/improvements and have version
control at the same time.

> Clayton was a good man, and will be sorely missed.

Yes, soo right - nothing more to add from my side

best
Thomas
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:49:08 +0100
Dear all,

Thanks to Chris for sharing this very sad news.
We at Alaska Software were shocked to hear about
Clayton's passing, even though it did not come
entirely unexpected. We can not add much to what
has been said already.

I personally loved to argue with him, and Steffen
was really impressed about Clayton's optimism in
the last 12 month. So we just want to express our
deepest sympathy and send our regards to his
family and friends.

What a sad weekend.

Frank++ and all from Alaska Software
Clifford WiernikRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Sat, 12 Mar 2016 08:50:11 -0600
I have had the opportunity to use Clayton's tools and talked many times
with him in the past. His contributions to our community cannot be measured.

I first met Clayton at the 2001 Manchester US Developer's Conference.

My sympathy goes to all his friends and family.
Clifford WiernikRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Sat, 12 Mar 2016 08:52:00 -0600
I have had the opportunity to use Clayton's tools and talked many times
with him in the past. His contributions to our community cannot be measured.

I first met Clayton at the 2001 Manchester US Developer's Conference.

My sympathy goes to all his friends and family.

Cliff Wiernik
Raymond FischbachRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:17:49 +0100
I am one of the lucky guys who had the opportunity to meet Clayton.
This happened several times and has always been a special moment.
I also had the opportunity to work with him when he was developping his
special buttons and his spell checker.
I agree with all that has already been said concerning Clayton.
On top of all his qualities, I must add that he was also a very good
photographer.

I will miss you Clayton, that's for sure

Best regards,
Raymond
Nestor G. TorresRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Mon, 14 Mar 2016 13:33:48 +0200
I am grief stricken.

I have known Clayton Jones since I first started using Alaska xBase back
in 2001. We have had conversations on the phone between, Florida USA and
Johannesburg SA, where we would share a good laugh while working on a
problem I was having;  and then at The German Dev Con we got together
and had a great time.

I also remember some late night conversations we had at the 2012 Dev Con
discussing different authors of Science Fiction...He like the author
Isaac Asimov.

Very Sad news. I will truly miss him. He definitely was a man of honor.
Pablo Botella Re: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 17:09:48 +0100
This is a very sad news. He has been a great programmer that have help a
lot to the guys of this small comunity. I've enjoyed a lot talking with
Clayton the few times I had the oportunities to meet him.

With My Deepest Regards

Pablo Botella
Bruce CarrollRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 13:49:31 +0200
I had worked with Clayton since about 2003 and found him to be a very creative and passionate
programmer. He helped, at no cost, with a charity project and later with a large commercial
project where he was instrumental in key areas of functionality.

I met him once in Germany and he was kind and patient to a very new programmer (to xbase)
and I have used his TopDown library every since.

If I can be of any assistance to facilitate his work being made available then please contact me
directly.

My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Kind regards,

Bruce Carroll
England.
Bruce Carrollnotifications
on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 13:50:10 +0200
Don Keating Re: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Sat, 28 May 2016 08:10:38 -0400
What is latest about Clayton's work being archived at Alaska Software?

>don<
803-312-4246 Phone
800-513-2321 Fax

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:37:59 -0500, Chris Carmac
<ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote:

>Dear friends of the Xbase++ developer community,
>
>It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton
>Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.
>
>When I first started working with Xbase++ in 2001, I spent a week in
>West Palm Beach, FL training with Clayton. He was a great teacher and
>mentor.  Learning of his death was quite a blow to me.  I can imagine
>how Luke Skywalker felt after Yoda died.
>
>Clayton was a very humble and soft-spoken man, generous and kind to
>everyone who knew him.  He thought deeply and intelligently about
>things, and was always quick to enjoy a good laugh with friends. He
>lived a simple life.  His main hobbies were amateur (ham) radio, and
>playing old-time folk music on the banjo, guitar, and other instruments.
>He also taught music to kids in his neighborhood, and was frequently
>involved in his church.
>
>Clayton was a very gifted programmer, and a big supporter of the Xbase++
>community.  His development tools were used by people all over the
>world. Many of us attended his seminars at the various Xbase++
>programming conferences throughout the years.
>
>In his will, Clayton expressed the desire for his software development
>tools to be placed in the public domain for free use by other
>developers.  The will also specified that I be assigned this task.  The
>four products that will be distributed are the Topdown function library,
>the X-Memo library (a DBF replacemnet for DBT/FPT memo files), the
>Spell-X spell checker library, and the X-DBU database utility.
>
>I am currently in contact with some friends of Clayton's who are helping
>to settle his estate.  After I receive the source code from them, I will
>attempt to find sites who would be willing to host the source code. My
>first two contacts will be Alaska Software and www.xbaseprogrammer.com.
>  If anyone knows of any other sites that might be a good host for the
>code, please let me know.  Once the source code has been made available,
>I will post more information about where you can download it.
>
>A memorial service for Clayton is scheduled for 10am Eastern time on
>March 19th, 2016 at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in West Palm Beach, FL.
>
>Clayton was a good man, and will be sorely missed.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Chris Carmac
>Asheboro, NC
>ccarmac@triad.rr.com
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:07:10 +0200
Dear all,

I am currently working on it.
The repository is already set up.
Chris, me and some guys at Alaska already made contributions, had a code
review, ...
I am currently looking how to make the repository available for the public.

Give me a few days/weeks.
We are almost done.

Frank

On 28.05.2016 14:10, Don Keating wrote:
> What is latest about Clayton's work being archived at Alaska Software?
>
>> don<
> 803-312-4246 Phone
> 800-513-2321 Fax
>

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:37:59 -0500, Chris Carmac
> <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear friends of the Xbase++ developer community,
>>
>> It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton
>> Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.
>>
>> When I first started working with Xbase++ in 2001, I spent a week in
>> West Palm Beach, FL training with Clayton. He was a great teacher and
>> mentor.  Learning of his death was quite a blow to me.  I can imagine
>> how Luke Skywalker felt after Yoda died.
>>
>> Clayton was a very humble and soft-spoken man, generous and kind to
>> everyone who knew him.  He thought deeply and intelligently about
>> things, and was always quick to enjoy a good laugh with friends. He
>> lived a simple life.  His main hobbies were amateur (ham) radio, and
>> playing old-time folk music on the banjo, guitar, and other instruments.
>> He also taught music to kids in his neighborhood, and was frequently
>> involved in his church.
>>
>> Clayton was a very gifted programmer, and a big supporter of the Xbase++
>> community.  His development tools were used by people all over the
>> world. Many of us attended his seminars at the various Xbase++
>> programming conferences throughout the years.
>>
>> In his will, Clayton expressed the desire for his software development
>> tools to be placed in the public domain for free use by other
>> developers.  The will also specified that I be assigned this task.  The
>> four products that will be distributed are the Topdown function library,
>> the X-Memo library (a DBF replacemnet for DBT/FPT memo files), the
>> Spell-X spell checker library, and the X-DBU database utility.
>>
>> I am currently in contact with some friends of Clayton's who are helping
>> to settle his estate.  After I receive the source code from them, I will
>> attempt to find sites who would be willing to host the source code. My
>> first two contacts will be Alaska Software and www.xbaseprogrammer.com.
>>   If anyone knows of any other sites that might be a good host for the
>> code, please let me know.  Once the source code has been made available,
>> I will post more information about where you can download it.
>>
>> A memorial service for Clayton is scheduled for 10am Eastern time on
>> March 19th, 2016 at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in West Palm Beach, FL.
>>
>> Clayton was a good man, and will be sorely missed.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Chris Carmac
>> Asheboro, NC
>> ccarmac@triad.rr.com
Don Keating Re: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 17:56:44 -0400
Thanks Frank, knowing you're working on it tells me it will be done!

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:07:10 +0200, Frank Grossheinrich wrote:

> [...]
>>> to settle his estate.  After I receive the source code from them, I will
>>> attempt to find sites who would be willing to host the source code. My
>>> first two contacts will be Alaska Software and www.xbaseprogrammer.com.
>>>   If anyone knows of any other sites that might be a good host for the
>>> code, please let me know.  Once the source code has been made available,
>>> I will post more information about where you can download it.
>>>
>>> A memorial service for Clayton is scheduled for 10am Eastern time on
>>> March 19th, 2016 at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in West Palm Beach, FL.
>>>
>>> Clayton was a good man, and will be sorely missed.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Chris Carmac
>>> Asheboro, NC
>>> ccarmac@triad.rr.com
Frank GrossheinrichRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Fri, 01 Jul 2016 15:23:42 +0200
I am (almost) done.
Just waiting for a confirmation from Chris that I did it right

Cheers, Frank

On 26.06.2016 23:56, Don Keating wrote:
> Thanks Frank, knowing you're working on it tells me it will be done!
>

>> don<
>
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:07:10 +0200, Frank Grossheinrich wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am currently working on it.
>> The repository is already set up.
>> Chris, me and some guys at Alaska already made contributions, had a code
>> review, ...
>> I am currently looking how to make the repository available for the public.
>>
>> Give me a few days/weeks.
>> We are almost done.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> On 28.05.2016 14:10, Don Keating wrote:
>>> What is latest about Clayton's work being archived at Alaska Software?

>>> 803-312-4246 Phone
>>> 800-513-2321 Fax

Thomas BraunRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:31:38 +0200
Frank Grossheinrich wrote:

> I am (almost) done.
> Just waiting for a confirmation from Chris that I did it right

Good news - thanks for keeping us informed and helping to keep Claytons
work alive

thomas
Hubert BrandelRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Thu, 04 Aug 2016 09:43:36 +0200
There is a new newsgroup on this server ... topdown

With Claytons repository ...
Bill SimmethRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Tue, 02 Aug 2016 21:39:28 +0200
Thanks for posting this Chris and wow am I sorry that I only just now
found this sad news.

Like many, I learned so much from Clayton going all the way back to 1999
when I first picked up a copy of Xbase++.  He taught me how to move out of
procedural code and use objects in my programs and was just generally a
huge help to me moving into the 21st Century.  His optimistic outlook and
calming presence helped me stay calm during the many times things in this
industry didn't go smoothly!  He will be missed.

Bill Simmeth
Merchant Software Corp
Marshall VA USA

Chris Carmac <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote in message
>Dear friends of the Xbase++ developer community,
>
>It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton
>Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.
Anand GuptaRe: Clayton Jones, developer of the Topdown library, has passed away
on Sun, 14 Aug 2016 09:20:30 +0200
Chris Carmac <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote in message
>Dear friends of the Xbase++ developer community,
>
>It is with great sadness I inform you that our good friend Mr. Clayton
>Jones passed away last week.  I was just informed of his death yesterday.

I do not have words to express my sorrow.

I was ready to convert my full fledged Clipper application to Xbase++, only
because TopDown 4.0 was available for users like me. I always kept in touch
with Clayton and he always helped my in my development work. I tried to
support him in TopDown by submitting codes which i felt would help TD.

I was in touch with him in the last months of 2015. I had proposed a Marque
type progress bar to him and send him a sample code which I was trying to develop.

He liked it and made tdcMarqBar.prg, but requested me to not tell anyone now,
as he planned to release it with TopDown 10.0

I had sent him emails asking for the release date of TD10 in 2016, little
knowing that he was no more.

I now find that I have lost my brother.

I have the latest code of tdcMarqBar.prg which he made and send to me.

I am ready to upload it if it helps TopDown users.

Regards,

Anand Gupta
India