Alaska Software Inc. - convert to adt tables
Alaska Software Inc. - convert to adt tables
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: convert to adt tables
Raffaele Lafrattaconvert to adt tables
on Sun, 10 Dec 2017 18:49:22 +0100
Hi all

How to convert dbf tables to ADS adt tables

I tried

  IF ! DbeLoad( "ADSDBE",.f.)
    Alert( "Database engine ADSDBE not loaded" , {"OK"} )
  ENDIF

  DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT)
  DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT )

USE MYFILE VIA "DBFCDX"

COPY TO MYADT VIA "ADSDBE"

But file created has alwaysa dbf format

Regards

Raffaele Lafratta
Jonathan LeemingRe: convert to adt tables
on Sun, 10 Dec 2017 12:23:23 -0700
On 12/10/2017 10:49 AM, Raffaele Lafratta wrote:
> Hi all
> 
> How to convert dbf tables to ADS adt tables
> 
> I tried
> 
>   IF ! DbeLoad( "ADSDBE",.f.)
>     Alert( "Database engine ADSDBE not loaded" , {"OK"} )
>   ENDIF
> 
>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT)
>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT )
> 
> USE MYFILE VIA "DBFCDX"
> 
> COPY TO MYADT VIA "ADSDBE"
> 
> But file created has alwaysa dbf format
> 
> Regards
> 
> Raffaele Lafratta

Hi Raffaele,

I use ADS but without the Advantage Data Dictionary instead I use free 
tables (DBF,FPT, CDX).

However in looking through the ADS help file that came with my ADS 11.1 
there is a section that may help you.  It appears that you would use the 
Advantage Data Architect (ARC) utility 
(http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/content.aspx?key=20&Release=19&Product=8&Platform=6)
Check out the help file section Advantage Data Architect --> Tables --> 
Importing Data Into The Advantage Tables.

I would certainly be interested in your progress.

Regards... Jonathan
Jonathan LeemingRe: convert to adt tables
on Sun, 10 Dec 2017 16:41:54 -0700
On 12/10/2017 12:23 PM, Jonathan Leeming wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 10:49 AM, Raffaele Lafratta wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> How to convert dbf tables to ADS adt tables
>>
>> I tried
>>
>>   IF ! DbeLoad( "ADSDBE",.f.)
>>     Alert( "Database engine ADSDBE not loaded" , {"OK"} )
>>   ENDIF
>>
>>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT)
>>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT )
>>
>> USE MYFILE VIA "DBFCDX"
>>
>> COPY TO MYADT VIA "ADSDBE"
>>
>> But file created has alwaysa dbf format
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Raffaele Lafratta
> 
> Hi Raffaele,
> 
> I use ADS but without the Advantage Data Dictionary instead I use free 
> tables (DBF,FPT, CDX).
> 
> However in looking through the ADS help file that came with my ADS 11.1 
> there is a section that may help you.  It appears that you would use the 
> Advantage Data Architect (ARC) utility 
> (http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/content.aspx?key=20&Release=19&Product=8&Platform=6) 
> 
> Check out the help file section Advantage Data Architect --> Tables --> 
> Importing Data Into The Advantage Tables.
> 
> I would certainly be interested in your progress.
> 
> Regards... Jonathan
> 
Hi Again,

Using the ARC utility I am converting my application files from DBF, FTP 
& CDX to ADT, ADM ADI respectively by:
1) Creating and empty folder.
2) Using ARC --> File --> Create New data Dictionary:

The I just gave it an arbitrary name, specified the server type as local 
since I have ADS installed on my development laptop drive, and used the 
folder created previously as my Database path (as well as the Default & 
Temp).

3) Within ARC, I the selected Tools --> Import Data and my import files 
are "Advantage FoxPro".
4) For the file name I used c:\source directory\*.dbf
5) I left the rest as default and on the next screen specified the name 
of my new ADS dictionary from step 2.
6) After clicking finish I was asked for a user name and password but 
since I did not assign one to my data dictionary I left both blank.
f there were any index files that would not auto-open to which I said no.
7) Once that was done I highlighted the "Tables" entry in my data 
dictionary, right clicked and chose "Add Existing Tables".
8) In the files selection window I used Ctrl + A to pick all and they 
were added to my ADS dictionary.

The Import process then started and on my laptop (with a fast NVMe SSD) 
it took around 1.5 hours to import just over 1 GB of data.

It appears to have worked but I was guessing at some of the options so 
it obviously needs testing.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Jonathan
Raffaele LafrattaRe: convert to adt tables
on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 08:53:54 +0100
Jonathan Leeming ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :
> On 12/10/2017 12:23 PM, Jonathan Leeming wrote:
>> On 12/10/2017 10:49 AM, Raffaele Lafratta wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> How to convert dbf tables to ADS adt tables
>>>
>>> I tried
>>>
>>>   IF ! DbeLoad( "ADSDBE",.f.)
>>>     Alert( "Database engine ADSDBE not loaded" , {"OK"} )
>>>   ENDIF
>>>
>>>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT)
>>>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_ADT )
>>>
>>> USE MYFILE VIA "DBFCDX"
>>>
>>> COPY TO MYADT VIA "ADSDBE"
>>>
>>> But file created has alwaysa dbf format
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Raffaele Lafratta
>> 
>> Hi Raffaele,
>> 
>> I use ADS but without the Advantage Data Dictionary instead I use free 
>> tables (DBF,FPT, CDX).
>> 
>> However in looking through the ADS help file that came with my ADS 11.1 
>> there is a section that may help you.  It appears that you would use the 
>> Advantage Data Architect (ARC) utility 
>> (http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/content.aspx?key=20&Release=19&Product=8&Platform=6) 
>> 
>> Check out the help file section Advantage Data Architect --> Tables --> 
>> Importing Data Into The Advantage Tables.
>> 
>> I would certainly be interested in your progress.
>> 
>> Regards... Jonathan
>> 
> Hi Again,
>
> Using the ARC utility I am converting my application files from DBF, FTP & 
> CDX to ADT, ADM ADI respectively by:
> 1) Creating and empty folder.
> 2) Using ARC --> File --> Create New data Dictionary:
>
> The I just gave it an arbitrary name, specified the server type as local 
> since I have ADS installed on my development laptop drive, and used the 
> folder created previously as my Database path (as well as the Default & 
> Temp).
>
> 3) Within ARC, I the selected Tools --> Import Data and my import files are 
> "Advantage FoxPro".
> 4) For the file name I used c:\source directory\*.dbf
> 5) I left the rest as default and on the next screen specified the name of my 
> new ADS dictionary from step 2.
> 6) After clicking finish I was asked for a user name and password but since I 
> did not assign one to my data dictionary I left both blank.
> f there were any index files that would not auto-open to which I said no.
> 7) Once that was done I highlighted the "Tables" entry in my data dictionary, 
> right clicked and chose "Add Existing Tables".
> 8) In the files selection window I used Ctrl + A to pick all and they were 
> added to my ADS dictionary.
>
> The Import process then started and on my laptop (with a fast NVMe SSD) it 
> took around 1.5 hours to import just over 1 GB of data.
>
> It appears to have worked but I was guessing at some of the options so it 
> obviously needs testing.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Regards, Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan

It seems the right thing
I know there is also an ace32 Api AdsConvertTable .. I'll try