Alaska Software Inc. - Performance Issue
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Performance Issue
Scott KrisePerformance Issue
on Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:53:22 -0500
Hello Everyone,

I have a client who just purchased a new 2016 server. It is a very small
office with 2 or 3 concurrent users. The system is fine when one person is
on...but the response time is cut down significantly when the second user
logs on. I have a benchmark test where a screen takes 6 seconds to load with
one user on...and 18-20 seconds with 2. My system uses dbf/ntx files.

Does anyone have any suggestions on now I can improve this performance? I
just ran a similar test on an older server, and there was little or no speed
differences when a second user logs on.

We have tried to remove/exclude the program folder from our antivirus etc,
but haven't had any luck with that so far.

Thanks,

Scott
Thomas BraunRe: Performance Issue
on Fri, 08 Dec 2017 09:39:21 +0100
Scott Krise wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a client who just purchased a new 2016 server. It is a very small
> office with 2 or 3 concurrent users. The system is fine when one person is
> on...but the response time is cut down significantly when the second user
> logs on. I have a benchmark test where a screen takes 6 seconds to load with
> one user on...and 18-20 seconds with 2. My system uses dbf/ntx files.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on now I can improve this performance? I
> just ran a similar test on an older server, and there was little or no speed
> differences when a second user logs on.
>
> We have tried to remove/exclude the program folder from our antivirus etc,
> but haven't had any luck with that so far.

This topic pops up every now ande then.

AFAIK this has something to do with locking and different versions of the
SMB protocol and there are registry settings to get this fixed.

But I'm no longer using Xbase++ for that type of applications (only WAA) so
I can't give you more details.

HTH
Thomas
Tim CallahanRe: Performance Issue
on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:33:20 -0800
I struggled with this for a long time and there is not a solution to
the problem.

Things that we tried are disabiling oplocks on the server, rolling
back to SMB1 (not recommended due to security issues), tuning the
server as a File Server per MS recommendations.

We ended up using ADS as the solution.

This from Alaska support:

------

The pattern you are describing fits exactly into the typical phenomena
when accessing shared tables from multiple client stations. To be
precise on this - it is a matter of client stations irrespective how
many applications are running on that client.

Everything is manged from the operating system network layer. Note
that shared and exclusive are modes on the filesystem in this example.
This is different from the exclusive or shared usage of a file on the
file system.

One client gets exclusive access to the files (dbf tables for
example). Irrespective of how many applications are running on that
single client.

A second client will enforce the shared mode on the file system - this
is bec. the server needs to synchronize operations between two parties
now. Stopping one client in this scenario will not neccessarily switch
back to "exclusive mode" - the server could still run in "shared
mode". This is exactly what you see when stopping the application on
the second machine.

Note: Performance may be drastically degrated on multi application
access in a network.

------

On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:53:22 -0500, "Scott Krise"
<scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>I have a client who just purchased a new 2016 server. It is a very small
>office with 2 or 3 concurrent users. The system is fine when one person is
>on...but the response time is cut down significantly when the second user
>logs on. I have a benchmark test where a screen takes 6 seconds to load with
>one user on...and 18-20 seconds with 2. My system uses dbf/ntx files.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on now I can improve this performance? I
>just ran a similar test on an older server, and there was little or no speed
>differences when a second user logs on.
>
>We have tried to remove/exclude the program folder from our antivirus etc,
>but haven't had any luck with that so far.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Scott
Scott KriseRe: Performance Issue
on Thu, 04 Jan 2018 10:31:54 -0500
Thanks Tim, I was feeling like that is what was going on...but never heard
anything officially from Alaska Support on that.

So, when you went to ADS, did that solve the problem for you? Do you see a
degradation of performance after the second and subsequent users start using
the app?

I've actually downloaded ADS and am trying to test it, but I currently use
foundation version of 1.90 and Im hearing I need to upgrade to 2.0
professional to bring this all together. Im anxious to hear if you saw
better performance using ADS. Noone has been able to tell me with certainty
that it will help.

Thanks,

Scott