Alaska Software Inc. - XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
Claudio Driussi XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
on Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:32:13 +0100
Hi everybody,

Recently I migrated to Xbase++ 2.0 from 1.9 and the windows with
XbpBrowse widget slow down very much.

Sometimes a window require more than 1 or 2 seconds to open and
the users often try to open again and again with the result to
open several times the same window. With 1.9 was slow but not so
much, usually the same window required at most 0,5 seconds.

The performance can vary very much from PC to PC, may the video
board and the OS version impact on it?

Usually I have less then 20 columns and some with calculated
values.

There are some systems to improve performances?

Many thanks

Claudio Driussi
James LoughnerRe: XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
on Thu, 03 Jan 2019 15:16:10 -0500
Can't help on speed except to say get better computers I see no large
delays on most modern up to date hardware.

As to opening multiples simply disable the button until the browse is
closed. Then they can click all they want   Also changing the cursor
to the busy cursor until the browse  paint is complete helps tell them
things are working.

Jim

On 1/2/19 10:32 AM, Claudio Driussi wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Recently I migrated to Xbase++ 2.0 from 1.9 and the windows with
> XbpBrowse widget slow down very much.
>
> Sometimes a window require more than 1 or 2 seconds to open and
> the users often try to open again and again with the result to
> open several times the same window. With 1.9 was slow but not so
> much, usually the same window required at most 0,5 seconds.
>
> The performance can vary very much from PC to PC, may the video
> board and the OS version impact on it?
>
> Usually I have less then 20 columns and some with calculated
> values.
>
> There are some systems to improve performances?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Claudio Driussi
Jonathan LeemingRe: XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
on Thu, 03 Jan 2019 15:46:38 -0700
On 1/3/2019 1:16 PM, James Loughner wrote:
> Can't help on speed except to say get better computers I see no large
> delays on most modern up to date hardware.
>
> As to opening multiples simply disable the button until the browse is
> closed. Then they can click all they want   Also changing the cursor
> to the busy cursor until the browse  paint is complete helps tell them
> things are working.
>

> Jim
>
> On 1/2/19 10:32 AM, Claudio Driussi wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Recently I migrated to Xbase++ 2.0 from 1.9 and the windows with
>> XbpBrowse widget slow down very much.
>>
>> Sometimes a window require more than 1 or 2 seconds to open and
>> the users often try to open again and again with the result to
>> open several times the same window. With 1.9 was slow but not so
>> much, usually the same window required at most 0,5 seconds.
>>
>> The performance can vary very much from PC to PC, may the video
>> board and the OS version impact on it?
>>
>> Usually I have less then 20 columns and some with calculated
>> values.
>>
>> There are some systems to improve performances?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Claudio Driussi

Hi Claudio,

Like James I have not noticed any performance issues between xbpBrowse
1.9 vs 2.0.  Aside from the navigation mode change the transition was
seamless.  I don't know if you are opening a browse in the same window
or if a new dialog box opens to contain the browse but if it is a new
dialog box I always execute oDlg:Show() as soon as possible and then
build my browse.  I just double checked one of my more intensive browses
that has columns that need to lookup data in other tables, check a
server folder for the existence of specific PDF files, and do various
calculations.

If this is older / slower hardware one might consider displaying a
xbpStatic that displays something like... "Loading Data" in the area of
the screen that the browse will cover when it is shown.

As for OS I was running pretty much all Windows 7 when I migrated to 2.0
without any noticeable change in performance and have since completely
migrated to 10 for the workstations but still running Windows 7 for RDS.

Back then I was DBF/DBT/NTX with Advantage Data Server but just over a
year ago I switched over to DBF/FPT/CDX but still with ADS.

As you saying that on the identical workstation in the same environment
and the same browse that you are seeing a difference in performance
between the application compiled in 1.9 compared to 2.0?

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Claudio Driussi Re: XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
on Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:19:59 +0100
on 03/01/19 23:46, Jonathan Leeming wrote:

> Hi Claudio,
>
> Like James I have not noticed any performance issues between xbpBrowse
> 1.9 vs 2.0.  Aside from the navigation mode change the transition was
> seamless.

Almost seemless, for me. There was some minor differences, but I solved.

> I don't know if you are opening a browse in the same window
> or if a new dialog box opens to contain the browse but if it is a new
> dialog box I always execute oDlg:Show() as soon as possible and then
> build my browse.

This can help.

> I just double checked one of my more intensive browses
> that has columns that need to lookup data in other tables, check a
> server folder for the existence of specific PDF files, and do various
> calculations.
>
> If this is older / slower hardware one might consider displaying a
> xbpStatic that displays something like... "Loading Data" in the area of
> the screen that the browse will cover when it is shown.

Yes, but can be boring, better disable menu item to avoid to call browse
twice.

> As for OS I was running pretty much all Windows 7 when I migrated to 2.0
> without any noticeable change in performance and have since completely
> migrated to 10 for the workstations but still running Windows 7 for RDS.

I use RDS too, and I don't know, but on some hw/sw combination the
performances slow down.

> As you saying that on the identical workstation in the same environment
> and the same browse that you are seeing a difference in performance
> between the application compiled in 1.9 compared to 2.0?

Yes.

Thanks
Claudio
Claudio Driussi Re: XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
on Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:03:09 +0100
Il 03/01/19 21:16, James Loughner ha scritto:
> Can't help on speed except to say get better computers I see no large
> delays on most modern up to date hardware.

Yes but is not enough, it depends also from video card and OS, it happen
even on new PC.

> As to opening multiples simply disable the button until the browse is
> closed. Then they can click all they want

You give me a new idea... I will try.

> Also changing the cursor
> to the busy cursor until the browse  paint is complete helps tell them
> things are working.

Ok.

Thanks

> Jim
>
> On 1/2/19 10:32 AM, Claudio Driussi wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> Recently I migrated to Xbase++ 2.0 from 1.9 and the windows with
>> XbpBrowse widget slow down very much.
>>
>> Sometimes a window require more than 1 or 2 seconds to open and
>> the users often try to open again and again with the result to
>> open several times the same window. With 1.9 was slow but not so
>> much, usually the same window required at most 0,5 seconds.
>>
>> The performance can vary very much from PC to PC, may the video
>> board and the OS version impact on it?
>>
>> Usually I have less then 20 columns and some with calculated
>> values.
>>
>> There are some systems to improve performances?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Claudio Driussi

Claudio Driussi Re: XbpBrowse very slow on 2.0
on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 14:16:57 +0100
Il 03/01/19 21:16, James Loughner ha scritto:
> Can't help on speed except to say get better computers I see no large
> delays on most modern up to date hardware.

My mistake, the time consuming operation is when I delete all columns
and recreate on a different order.

Now I do recreation only if it is required. But it is still slow.

Do you know if it is a system to "freeze" the browse the browse
calculations until recreation is done?

Many thanks.

Claudio