Alaska Software Inc. - More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
Nestor G. TorresMore updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:57:33 +0200
Hi Guy's

I have have kept my nose to the gride stone again and made major changes
to StarLites navigation menu.

I could not fine any suitable menu javascript libraries to suit my
purpose so I wrote my own.

If any of you have got the time please visit www.starlightdemo.com
and provide any good or bad comments.

Kind regards
Nestor

New-starlite-menu.jpg
Jonathan LeemingRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 21:45:35 -0600
Hi Nestor,

Looks good.  My only suggestion given that the web page has a black
background and the menus are transparent would be if you could change
the menu colour and remove the tranparancy.  I think it would allow
the menu to be visually distinct and separare from the main web page.

Just my thoughts as I'm generally not a big fan of transparent items
and I like to have visual separation from components such as a menu.

Also I am jealous as to what you have created!

Warmest Regards... Jonathan

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:57:33 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:

>Hi Guy's
>
>I have have kept my nose to the gride stone again and made major changes
>to StarLites navigation menu.
>
>I could not fine any suitable menu javascript libraries to suit my
>purpose so I wrote my own.
>
>If any of you have got the time please visit www.starlightdemo.com
>and provide any good or bad comments.
>
>Kind regards
>Nestor

Jonathan Leeming
jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Nestor G. TorresRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Tue, 25 Aug 2015 09:29:54 +0200
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the feedback ... always great to hear your views.

I am going to port the changes to my wife's StarLite web site within the
next week. Her web site has a different color scheme and then I will see
what it look like there; I will keep in mind what you have said.

I am now in the process of tiding up and finishing some documentation
for this release of StarLite.

And already I've got some ideas for the next future release; maybe one
day I'll hit upon the right design and then people will want to purchase
and install.

While we are starting to head for Spring you guys are moving into Autumn

On 2015/08/25 05:45 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:
> Hi Nestor,
>
> Looks good.  My only suggestion given that the web page has a black
> background and the menus are transparent would be if you could change
> the menu colour and remove the tranparancy.  I think it would allow
> the menu to be visually distinct and separare from the main web page.
>
> Just my thoughts as I'm generally not a big fan of transparent items
> and I like to have visual separation from components such as a menu.
>
> Also I am jealous as to what you have created!
>
> Warmest Regards... Jonathan
>

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:57:33 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:
>
>> Hi Guy's
>>
>> I have have kept my nose to the gride stone again and made major changes
>> to StarLites navigation menu.
>>
>> I could not fine any suitable menu javascript libraries to suit my
>> purpose so I wrote my own.
>>
>> If any of you have got the time please visit www.starlightdemo.com
>> and provide any good or bad comments.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Nestor
>>

> Jonathan Leeming
> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com

Nestor G. TorresRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:00:12 +0200
Hi Jonathan,

Hoping your having a fabulous day.

Made a change to the color of the menu bar for my main demo site and
also converted my wife's sugar business web site to the new StarLite design.

I think my wife's web site now looks better than my demo site.

You can compare and let me know (only if you have time on your hands).

To change the color scheme/Theme of StarLite is easy with jquery theme
roller.

www.starlightdemo.com
www.magdasugarart.co.za

Kind regards,
Nestor

On 2015/08/25 05:45 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:
> Hi Nestor,
>
> Looks good.  My only suggestion given that the web page has a black
> background and the menus are transparent would be if you could change
> the menu colour and remove the tranparancy.  I think it would allow
> the menu to be visually distinct and separare from the main web page.
>
> Just my thoughts as I'm generally not a big fan of transparent items
> and I like to have visual separation from components such as a menu.
>
> Also I am jealous as to what you have created!
>
> Warmest Regards... Jonathan
>

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:57:33 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:
>
>> Hi Guy's
>>
>> I have have kept my nose to the gride stone again and made major changes
>> to StarLites navigation menu.
>>
>> I could not fine any suitable menu javascript libraries to suit my
>> purpose so I wrote my own.
>>
>> If any of you have got the time please visit www.starlightdemo.com
>> and provide any good or bad comments.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Nestor
>>

> Jonathan Leeming
> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com

Jonathan LeemingRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Wed, 26 Aug 2015 22:18:07 -0600
Hi Nestor,

Your wife's sugar business site header area (top of display) is the
same background colour as the menu area and since the menu area drops
down below where the background colour is different it makes the menu
more distinct and discernible yet keeps with the colour scheme of the
site.

With the starlight site the main background is black as are the menu's
with combination of that with the transparent menu I find it harder to
navigate as the items under are showing though.  If the menu
background was in a grey tone as per your header I believe it would
allow the website visitor to focus better on the navigational
component (the menu options).

I find it easier to discern what is going on with the menus on your
wife sites than the starlight version.   Just my opinion but I'm still
very impressed with what you have accomplished.

I don't expect that you will be venturing from South Africa for the
upcoming SW Xbase conference but perhaps you could consider being a
presenter at a future conference.

Sincerest Regards... Jonathan

On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:00:12 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:

>Hi Jonathan,
>
>Hoping your having a fabulous day.
>
>Made a change to the color of the menu bar for my main demo site and
>also converted my wife's sugar business web site to the new StarLite design.
>
>I think my wife's web site now looks better than my demo site.
>
>You can compare and let me know (only if you have time on your hands).
>
>To change the color scheme/Theme of StarLite is easy with jquery theme
>roller.
>
>www.starlightdemo.com
>www.magdasugarart.co.za
>
>Kind regards,
>Nestor
>
>On 2015/08/25 05:45 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:
>> Hi Nestor,
>>
>> Looks good.  My only suggestion given that the web page has a black
>> background and the menus are transparent would be if you could change
>> the menu colour and remove the tranparancy.  I think it would allow
>> the menu to be visually distinct and separare from the main web page.
>>
>> Just my thoughts as I'm generally not a big fan of transparent items
>> and I like to have visual separation from components such as a menu.
>>
>> Also I am jealous as to what you have created!
>>
>> Warmest Regards... Jonathan
>>

>> On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 16:57:33 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guy's
>>>
>>> I have have kept my nose to the gride stone again and made major changes
>>> to StarLites navigation menu.
>>>
>>> I could not fine any suitable menu javascript libraries to suit my
>>> purpose so I wrote my own.
>>>
>>> If any of you have got the time please visit www.starlightdemo.com
>>> and provide any good or bad comments.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Nestor
>>>

>> Jonathan Leeming
>> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com

Jonathan Leeming
jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Nestor G. TorresRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:24:14 +0200
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for being my critic.

After reviewing your comments and bouncing them off some of my friends I
made the changes as suggested to the color scheme; and yes it does stand
out more clearly. I guess when I work so closely with it every day I do
not get the perspective that an outsider would have.

My next challenge is to add responsive web design css/code to StarLite
so that StarLite can transitions through multiple device
types/platforms. Currently I use Jquery mobile to allow starlite to run
on mobile devices maybe a mix of the two will work?

Kind Regards,
Nestor

On 2015/08/27 06:18 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:

> Hi Nestor,
>
> Your wife's sugar business site header area (top of display) is the
> same background colour as the menu area and since the menu area drops
> down below where the background colour is different it makes the menu
> more distinct and discernible yet keeps with the colour scheme of the
> site.
>
> With the starlight site the main background is black as are the menu's
> with combination of that with the transparent menu I find it harder to
> navigate as the items under are showing though.  If the menu
> background was in a grey tone as per your header I believe it would
> allow the website visitor to focus better on the navigational
> component (the menu options).
>
> I find it easier to discern what is going on with the menus on your
> wife sites than the starlight version.   Just my opinion but I'm still
> very impressed with what you have accomplished.
>
> I don't expect that you will be venturing from South Africa for the
> upcoming SW Xbase conference but perhaps you could consider being a
> presenter at a future conference.
>
> Sincerest Regards... Jonathan
>
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:00:12 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> Hoping your having a fabulous day.
>>
>> Made a change to the color of the menu bar for my main demo site and
>> also converted my wife's sugar business web site to the new StarLite design.
>>
>> I think my wife's web site now looks better than my demo site.
>>
>> You can compare and let me know (only if you have time on your hands).
>>
>> To change the color scheme/Theme of StarLite is easy with jquery theme
>> roller.
>>
>> www.starlightdemo.com
>> www.magdasugarart.co.za
>>
>> Kind regards,

>> Nestor
>>
>> On 2015/08/25 05:45 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:
>>> Hi Nestor,
>>>
>>> Looks good.  My only suggestion given that the web page has a black
>>> background and the menus are transparent would be if you could change
>>> the menu colour and remove the tranparancy.  I think it would allow
>>> the menu to be visually distinct and separare from the main web page.
>>>
>>> Just my thoughts as I'm generally not a big fan of transparent items
>>> and I like to have visual separation from components such as a menu.
>>>
>>> Also I am jealous as to what you have created!
>>>
>>> Warmest Regards... Jonathan

>>> Jonathan Leeming
>>> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
>>>

> Jonathan Leeming
> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com

Jonathan LeemingRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:09:21 -0600
Hi Nestor,

I like... visually easier to navigate.

Great job with CXP & Jquery.

Cheers... Jonathan

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:24:14 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:

>Hi Jonathan,
>
>Thank you for being my critic.
>
>After reviewing your comments and bouncing them off some of my friends I
>made the changes as suggested to the color scheme; and yes it does stand
>out more clearly. I guess when I work so closely with it every day I do
>not get the perspective that an outsider would have.
>
>My next challenge is to add responsive web design css/code to StarLite
>so that StarLite can transitions through multiple device
>types/platforms. Currently I use Jquery mobile to allow starlite to run
>on mobile devices maybe a mix of the two will work?
>
>Kind Regards,
>Nestor
>

>On 2015/08/27 06:18 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nestor,
>>
>> Your wife's sugar business site header area (top of display) is the
>> same background colour as the menu area and since the menu area drops
>> down below where the background colour is different it makes the menu
>> more distinct and discernible yet keeps with the colour scheme of the
>> site.
>>
>> With the starlight site the main background is black as are the menu's
>> with combination of that with the transparent menu I find it harder to
>> navigate as the items under are showing though.  If the menu
>> background was in a grey tone as per your header I believe it would
>> allow the website visitor to focus better on the navigational
>> component (the menu options).
>>
>> I find it easier to discern what is going on with the menus on your
>> wife sites than the starlight version.   Just my opinion but I'm still
>> very impressed with what you have accomplished.
>>
>> I don't expect that you will be venturing from South Africa for the
>> upcoming SW Xbase conference but perhaps you could consider being a
>> presenter at a future conference.
>>
>> Sincerest Regards... Jonathan
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 11:00:12 +0200, Nestor G. Torres wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jonathan,
>>>
>>> Hoping your having a fabulous day.
>>>
>>> Made a change to the color of the menu bar for my main demo site and
>>> also converted my wife's sugar business web site to the new StarLite design.
>>>
>>> I think my wife's web site now looks better than my demo site.
>>>
>>> You can compare and let me know (only if you have time on your hands).
>>>
>>> To change the color scheme/Theme of StarLite is easy with jquery theme
>>> roller.
>>>
>>> www.starlightdemo.com
>>> www.magdasugarart.co.za
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>

>>> Nestor

>> Jonathan Leeming
>> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com

Jonathan Leeming
jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Pedro AlexandreRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:45:54 +0100
Hi Nestor.

I was testing you demo site and looks a very interesting work.
What type of database ( Dbf or Sql) are you useing to do this?

Many thanks
Pedro

"Nestor G. Torres" escreveu na mensagem

> [...]

>> Nestor
>>
>> On 2015/08/25 05:45 AM, "Jonathan Leeming" wrote:
>>> Hi Nestor,
>>>
>>> Looks good.  My only suggestion given that the web page has a black
>>> background and the menus are transparent would be if you could change
>>> the menu colour and remove the tranparancy.  I think it would allow
>>> the menu to be visually distinct and separare from the main web page.
>>>
>>> Just my thoughts as I'm generally not a big fan of transparent items
>>> and I like to have visual separation from components such as a menu.
>>>
>>> Also I am jealous as to what you have created!
>>>
>>> Warmest Regards... Jonathan

>>> Jonathan Leeming
>>> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
>>>

> Jonathan Leeming
> jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com

Nestor G. TorresRe: More updates to StarLite written in cxp and Alaska xbase ++
on Tue, 01 Sep 2015 05:37:49 +0200
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for testing and I am glad you have found it to be interesting.

I Extract the StarLite catalog from my RAPS Point-of-sale application
which is only done when there are new stock record descriptions or meta
data to be added. The extract file is a DBF which is very fast to navigate.

Kind regards,
Nestor