Alaska Software Inc. - Migrating files to Windows Server 2012
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Migrating files to Windows Server 2012
Pranami DesaiMigrating files to Windows Server 2012
on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 10:17:02 +0100
Hi,

I am migrating my files from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012.
Everything works fine in the old environment but on the 2012 server,
When I execute the exe file, it doesnot run and no process is tracked in the
Task Manager as well. The following error is logged in the XPPFATAL.LOG file:

FATAL ERROR LOG
Not recoverable Error!
SYS Thread-ID: 580
Module: EH
Error Codes: EH: 900 Sub: 0(0) OS: 0 XPP: 0
Call Stack of Thread 1 (580):
File: D:\XPP\test.exe
TimeStamp: 20151204 05:24
End of FATAL ERROR LOG.

The Xbase version being used seems to be 1.8. Can it be an issue with the new
server being 64-bit as compared to the old 32-bit one? How can we solve this?
Boris BorzicRe: Migrating files to Windows Server 2012
on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:35:58 +0100
Pranami Desai wrote in

> The Xbase version being used seems to be 1.8. Can it be an issue with
> the new server being 64-bit as compared to the old 32-bit one? How can
> we solve this?

I have clients using xbase 1.82 on 64-bit windows server 2012 with no
problems. I would suggest to troubleshoot the issue by simplifying the
system and then adding more components until you get the error.

To start off, I would copy everything into one folder (exe, dll's, data
files, etc...). If you still get an error, then simplify the exe and add
components until the problem appears.

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Migrating files to Windows Server 2012
on Fri, 04 Dec 2015 12:05:15 -0500
Pranami,

>Error Codes: EH: 900 Sub: 0(0) OS: 0 XPP: 0
[...]
>The Xbase version being used seems to be 1.8. Can it be an issue with the new
>server being 64-bit as compared to the old 32-bit one? How can we solve this?

This is a DEP -- Data Execution Prevention -- error, caused by all Xbase++
1.8 (and earlier) applications. You need to exempt all of your older Xbase++
programs from DEP to prevent this error. I wouldn't turn DEP off, but simply
add all the failing programs to the exception list.

In the System Settings (Control Panel -> System and Security -> System),
select "Advanced system settings" from the left pane. Select the "Advanced"
tab and click on the "Settings" button in the "Performance" section. On the
"Performance Options" dialog, select the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

On Windows Server 2012 the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except
those I select:" radio button will be selected by default. On some earlier
Windows versions, the other radio button might be selected by default.

Just add your failing programs to the list of exempt programs, and your
applications should be good to go.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas.GP@Charter.net
web:   http://www.Aerospace-History.net
Pranami DesaiRe: Migrating files to Windows Server 2012
on Mon, 07 Dec 2015 12:52:40 +0100
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote in message
>On Windows Server 2012 the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except
>those I select:" radio button will be selected by default. On some earlier
>Windows versions, the other radio button might be selected by default.
>
>Just add your failing programs to the list of exempt programs, and your
>applications should be good to go.

Thank you so much Andreas. Adding the file to the list of exempt programs
helped and finally my exe works.

Thanks again,
Pranami
Peter AlderliestenRe: Migrating files to Windows Server 2012
on Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:43:51 +0100
Pranami,

>>Error Codes: EH: 900 Sub: 0(0) OS: 0 XPP: 0
> [...]
>>The Xbase version being used seems to be 1.8. Can it be an issue with the new
>>server being 64-bit as compared to the old 32-bit one? How can we solve this?
>
> This is a DEP -- Data Execution Prevention -- error, caused by all Xbase++
> 1.8 (and earlier) applications. You need to exempt all of your older Xbase++
> programs from DEP to prevent this error. I wouldn't turn DEP off, but simply
> add all the failing programs to the exception list.

An even better way is to upgrade to version 2.0
You get the most recent state, ready for Windows 10 and a lot of new
features.

Peter